Author Topic: Death Penalty Vs Life imprisonment  (Read 15209 times)

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
Re: Death Penalty Vs Life imprisonment
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 12:56:13 pm »
Damn you people write so much you make me feel so pointless to remain in the debate  :D

Anyways, I combined $tyliSh Exectuive's Posts and combined them into one (Seven back-to-back posts was a LOT)

Thanks a lot!!!

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 03:09:48 pm »
Nothing is worse than being surrounded by people and yet you still feel lonely

nid404

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2009, 06:19:28 am »
Well I read through the arguments....pages n pages :P ::)

Anyway, I gave my stands earlier

Some of ull have gotten the point about the expenses ...not forgetting they all come from our pockets...who on earth wants to pay for a criminal

It's like the victim's family paying to punish the criminal...

And also considering that not all countries are rich to maintain prisons and pay for proceeding, security, etc, Death Penalty makes more sense in these nations

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2009, 03:24:01 pm »
Well I read through the arguments....pages n pages :P ::)

Anyway, I gave my stands earlier

Some of ull have gotten the point about the expenses ...not forgetting they all come from our pockets...who on earth wants to pay for a criminal

It's like the victim's family paying to punish the criminal...

And also considering that not all countries are rich to maintain prisons and pay for proceeding, security, etc, Death Penalty makes more sense in these nations

You can't just send all sort of criminals, even who commit petty thefts to jail for life or hang them! (these type of criminals are usually more in number than serious ones!). Ultimately, you have to build prisons and spend money on them! Why not put serious criminals with them in the prisons?!

The criminals family and the criminal itself also pays taxes to provide basic facilities to the victim's family!

The poorer a country, the worse the condition will be on prison. So their relative expenditure on prison will be less.

And expenditures are usually considered in terms of % of GDP. If I have 100 billion $s, I wouldn't mind donating $200m , would I?  ;) So, 0.205% of GDP is very small percentage!!!

Cheers!!!

nid404

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 04:07:15 am »
I don't mean to say that evry1 has to die. We can afford to keep some alive and feed them.

Take for example, all the terrorists caught alive, or serial killers, rapists need severe punishment, that of death.
Some of these trials go on for ages. I'm tellin you cuz I live here in India and I see the pathetic justice system. Ajmal Amir Kasab was the sole terrorist caught alive of 26/11 attacks(2008), and his trial still continues, and what happens when it goes on for soo long, the criminal changes his confession every single time. When there is all the evidence, a full video footage, also people identifying....He was responsible for killing innocent civilians......I guess you knw abt the incident. Now I think a maniac like him deserves nothin but death

Alpha

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 03:19:16 am »
@Omer

the efficiency of the death sentence is not something I doubt; its the fact that the criminal will not get the chance to repent; Yea fine hesa bad bad man for killing someone, but why do we have to stoop down to his level? lengthy prison sentences will surely take deteriorate his soul; prison is not a "short ride" you go there, taste some of the worst food thats only enough to help you survive but not necessarily with adequate nutrition, whats going to be the result when the sentence is over? One, he could have learned his lesson and repented, or two, he could be back to his ways, but remember, its not like hes gonna go ahead and kill the first person he sees; most murders are premeditated , I am sure there is more than enough means to prevent him

"Stoop down to his level"... Ordinary citizens are not going to take an axe and behead him. The law will do the necessary. Punishment should be at the same level that the crime is. If the crime is below your nose, I don't find anything wrong if the law bows to give a similar punishment. If the crime is below your waist, still there is nothing wrong if the law kneels for the only sake of punishment. Similarly, if the crime goes beneath your knees, I don't find it demeaning for the law to even lie down if it has to give a punishment at the same level. THAT is justice. If the law "stoops down to his level", there is absolutely nothing belittling--- then only will there be a balance between crime and punishment.

"When the sentence is over"? When what sentence is over? If capital punishment is banned, the longest sentence--- the worst punishment--- would be imprisonment lasting for a lifetime. The criminal is going to rot in jail TILL DEATH. So instead of spending resources to keep him alive till he dies, isn't it more cost efficient to give him death once and for all? He MAY repent. But even if he does, of what use will it be to the country? Who will even know whether he's repenting or not? "To prevent him"... Who is even going to prevent him? How is he going to be prevented? Do you think before committing his next crime, he's going to announce it publicly in the newspapers?  :P

An eye for an eye.... makes the whole world blind; it MYTE prevent other crimes from occurring, but most probably it won't. Murderers have causes to kill, once they killed that victim and accomplished their goal, there will not be much reason to go on a "pyscho-rampage" (and if he does, then hes a mental case, i.e. he should be referred to a mental hospital

"Most probably it won't"? Most probably, it will. I've already explained the 4 elements necessary for a crime to occur: criminal, victim, opportunity, courage. Kindly refer.

That becomes very easy then. A criminal kills and then goes on a "psycho-rampage". Instead of going to jail, he's sent to the mental hospital. Good strategy to avoid punishment.  :P

Again, the percentage of psychopaths and serial killers do not account for the majority of murderers, most murders occurr as a result of love/jealous or revenge; and in both cases I do not see how killing him will reduce the number of future killings, he's already accomplished his goal, he's just gonna try to move on with his life after he's out. Life sentences will rob a lot of his age and probably his fortune too, he will not be able to resume his life, at least now he has a chance to repent and do well.
Also, as you're a Muslim you probably know that already; a lot of countries (mainly Muslim) offers the chance for the murderer or the murderer's family to pay blood money to the victim; believe me, these sums are NOT little; if such a system can be applied then this way at least the family of the victim can have a more tangible compensation than just the "pleasure" of seeing the criminal killed

"Love, jealousy and revenge"... All of which are mere human whims. I will ask you the same question again: do you think "love", "jealousy", and "revenge" are reasons valid enough to take up somebody's life? If you think they are, then why are humans even bestowed with reasoning power? Everyone experiences these emotions in life, that's natural. So what? Do they keep killing people because of these emotions? Does the law keep ALL the criminals in jail? Is someone else can kill because of "love", "jealousy" and "revenge", then everybody else in this world population of 6 billion should have an equal right!  :P
"He's already accomplished his goal"... You mean he is never going to be a victim of "love", "jealousy" and "revenge" again? You really think so? Are we really living in such an ideal world? Once somebody has killed, to do so a second time is easier.

Yes true, justice, the golden word of law. But how affective would killing the murderer give to the Family? A robber has to pay back whatever he robs to the victim, thats justice served; a company is ordered to compensate an employee for an accident because of a problem with the company's working area or whatnot, thats justice served. In both cases the victim gained something; what does the family of a killed victim get? Blood money is not gonna resurrect him, but at least the family is able to get some sort of a compensation, a compensation that costs the criminal very dearly financially and age-wise (since hes gonna be lsing a few dozen years in jail).

Yes, blood money...
Oh but I really don't think the criminal himself is going to pay that huge amount of blood money, especially to the relatives of the one he killed. Else he would be a fool to have murdered. If he does that, then you can refer him to your mental hospital.  :P :D

So, most probably, the burden will fall on the criminal's family and relatives. Now you tell me, in what way is it fair that all these INNOCENT persons pay for what ONE has done? Don't these persons, who have not wronged, have their own lives, their own expenses, their own financial limitations?
On top of that, we all know it very well: money CANNOT buy life.

How effective can money and taking away years of a criminal's life be compared to the life of a dear one which has been robbed?
Right, thank you for elucidating it.
A robber pays back whatever he robs, he returns the SAME amount--- justice.
A company compensates for an employee's accident, SAME amount--- justice.
A criminal has to be killed for killing, SAME again--- justice.
I repeat, no amount of money in the whole world, absolutely NO AMOUNT can ever compensate or account for the loss of lives. This is what our MORAL law teaches, leaving aside the judiciary system.

yea i see what you mean, but look at it this way; isnt it the government's duty in the first place to make sure nobody has the need to do so? a jail is supposed to be the one place with the worst standard of living in the entire country! its not supposed to be a hotel, its supposed to be a place where you are forced to learn discipline and possibly have a chance to meditate and repent

It is also the government's duty to diminish poverty. Has it done it effectively so far? It is also the government's duty to ensure peace and harmony in the world. But I can still see people fighting and dying in masses. Most countries claim to be democracies, should they then rely entirely on the government? Should 'free' nations that do not hesitate to raise a voice be wholly dependent on the government? A government does not make a nation. A nation makes a government.

"Worst" standard of living?
How true, poverty is a plague one must have endured personally to be able to have even the slightest notion of its torment.
Even if prison food is of the poorest quality in the world, at least, AT LEAST the prisoners DO HAVE SOMETHING to eat. Can you compare a prisoner with the innocent child who has not even had the chance to see a few grains of rice for days? To the people who have endured famine and slept on an empty stomach for the most part of their lives? To you, to me, to us fortunate ones, prison might be a hell, but for them, it's a rescue. For them, it's heaven on Earth.

As i said before, my idea also includes that the prisoners are not ALLOWED to make any profit, farmers can; farmers can have the aid of capital, prisoners won't since they do not have profits and hence can't afford to buy any capital. And no, they do not have to access the outside world, the security can transport the goods for them; prisoners should never leave prison, its a part of the punishment

***You made a mistake while quoting there.***

Oh, so what I can deduce here is a hidden form of slavery, which has been abolished a long time ago. If the prisoners are not allowed to make any profit, is it a productive investment for the country then? It's better to give these resources to others who are allowed to make a profit. Hence growth for the economy at large is assured.
If they cannot buy capital, how will they even make business? Should the government every time spend from its budget to get them capital? If the security starts transporting goods, who will do THEIR job?
"Prisoners should never leave prison". Fine, then the cultivation and harvesting will be done inside prisons. Give dangerous tools like axes, hoes, forks, spades, etc, to a population of threatening criminals, the guards themselves would need security then!  :P

Alright, I'm not saying that your project is absurd. But we have different categories of criminals in jails. The less dangerous ones can be part of your plan, leave the fatal ones to cemeteries.

yea but how will they get out after serving their sentence out  :P

Who said they will get out?  :P

That is ONE type of justice. But as I already said, its too blind, its not totally wrong, but it is not the best choice. Justice myte be served, but thats as far as it goes. Punishments such as the one i mentioned can actually help the country and raise cheaper food (since no profits will be made) for those who need it; and combined with paying blood money, this gives benefit to both the state as well as the family of the victim, not to mention the dear loss of age and finance of the murderer

Well, I am unsure if there can be "types" of justice. Justice is a state of equality, fair treatment. Between two variables like crime and punishment, there can be ONLY ONE point of equilibrium. If "that is ONE type of justice", that is the ONLY type of justice.

Punishments such as the ones you've mentioned have flaws:
- Hidden slavery, unproductive investment.
- If food from jail is cheap, farmers' businesses will be affected.
- Money cannot buy lives.
- The "dear loss of age and finance" either cannot equal to the loss of lives.
If you have life, you have everything. If you have everything but don't have life, you don't have anything at all.

Alpha

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 04:38:56 am »
@Stylish Executive

Don't you think you are diverting from the topic a bit? I did not develop my point in one sentence. So you should not argue based upon your conclusion after reading the first sentence. So, I would advise you to read the whole paragraph, carefully, think and then argue for your conclusions based on the WHOLE paragraph.

Crimes are products of our citizens. Criminals and victims are all citizens. The police, army, jailers, lawyers, and judges are also citizens. The law is formed by our citizens, for our citizens. The government plays a role in citizenship too. No, I don't think I am diverting from the topic. I did not develop my conclusion in the paragraph either. Leave alone sentences, every word you say makes a difference in a debate. If not to you, to me it does.

There are many reasons for which a criminal commits a crime. It is not necessarily limited to need, or any other simple thing. The point which you illustrated is your thinking. You must understand that not everybody thinks in a similar way. I would suggest you to consult a mental physician if you want to know more about why people commit crimes.

There may be thousands, billions of reasons, a crime is and remains a crime. Besides, I haven't stated any reason here. You must read properly. "Game" here refers to "crime", "killing". I haven't illustrated MY thinking. I used the first person to illustrate the basic reasoning of ANY rational individual. I would suggest you to read carefully.  ;)

Why do criminals try to escape from the police, then? There are many poor peoples in the world. Not everybody of them are criminals. Only a minority of them are. That is why I differentiated from LAW ABIDING AND LAW BREAKING CITIZENS!!!. Every poor people has needs, but only SOME OF THEM ARE COMMITING CRIMES!!! I think you should have understood this. Again, you must read my WHOLE paragraph and understand what I am trying to say, then argue.

So you accept it: criminals try to escape from the police. Point noted.
I never said every poor person is a criminal. I've used the word "trend" and a colon, meaning that I'm talking about those who follow this trend. You must pay attention to my words;)

"Some of them are committing crimes", in capital. So you agree with me again. Second point noted.
I've talked about poverty and crime and the relationship existing between these two in my previous arguments in response to Omer's. Kindly refer to the fifth quote.

A man or woman who commits crimes to 'remain in prison' is mentally handicapped. And all of the participants of this debate (maybe except you!) will agree with me.

Oh, how did you guess that! Even if everybody else comes to agree with you, I will still be the first, last and only one standing at the extreme side.  :P
How can you qualify people who are trying to fill up their stomachs even if that means they have to face most dire circumstances as "mentally handicapped"? Victims of pitiful conditions are "mentally handicapped"? Poverty-stricken people in search of a shelter are "mentally handicapped"? Did these people choose to be poor?

YOU are opposing YOURSELF!!! You said that Everybody are citizens of a country. Aren't criminals citizens too?

According to my theory, the serious offenders (like murderer, rapists or drug traffickers) will be KEPT BEHIND BARS! The cells will be supervised by honest police officers. The criminals won't get any chance to escape from the cells, regardless of how much they try. This will make our citizen's life safe for sure.

Yes, I said that and I know I said that. Criminals are citizens, I said it again in my first paragraph (and one more time here, makes it 4 times  :P). So what? If they are citizens, does it mean they have the right to deprive others of their rights? And if they have committed crimes, which right of theirs departs them from punishment? "Honest police officers". These days, we have more corrupt ones. "KEPT BEHIND BARS", which is costly.

I think you have a misconception/misunderstanding about the definition of life imprisonment. I would suggest you to look it up in wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment . In a debate, you should always know what exactly is your topic after all.

If I was unsure about the terminologies, I would not have done this debate at all.

After reading this, I actually thought you are joking  :D . But you seem to be serious.

Well I have one advice for you: KISS not   :-* , but KEEP IT SIMPLE and STRAIGHTFORWARD! Also THINK this way!

I was both joking and serious.

Very well, thanks. In return, I have one advice for you too: MISS not  ;), but MAKE IT SURE and SECURE. Also ACT this way.

To make it clear, 28.4 billion USD was the expenditure figure for 2008 on prisons. It was the TOTAL expenditure (variable cost, not fixed costs or external costs) for running the prison. Prisons are not rebuilt every year. It has already been built, perhaps long before you and I were born.

If you are confused about what are the variable costs of running a prison, it includes repair, foods, employing security measures and staffs and etc. You may wish to look it up in wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_cost

"The $28.4 billion State operating cost, divided by the U.S. resident population, resulted in a nationwide average operating expenditure of $100 per person.

States spent $29.5 billion for prisons in 2001, about a $5½ billion increase from 1996, after adjusting for inflation

* Prison operations consumed about 77% of State correctional costs in FY 2001. The remaining 23% was spent on juvenile justice, probation and parole, community-based corrections, and central office administration.

* State correctional expenditures increased 145% in 2001 constant dollars from $15.6 billion in FY 1986 to $38.2 billion in FY 2001; prison expenditures increased 150% from $11.7 billion to $29.5 billion.

* Excluding capital spending, the average cost of operating State prisons in FY 2001 was $100 per U.S. resident, up from $90 in FY 1996.

* Outlays for new prison construction, renovations, equipment, and other capital account activities amounted to less than 4% of total prison expenditures in most States.

* Spending on medical care for State prisoners totaled $3.3 billion, or 12% of operating expenditures in 2001.

Correctional authorities spent $38.2 billion to maintain the Nation’s State correctional systems in fiscal year 2001, including $29.5 billion specifically for adult correctional facilities. Day-to-day operating expenses totaled $28.4 billion, and capital outlays for land, new building, and renovations, 1.1 billion."

Source: U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Special Report

If you are confused about Opportunity costs, which I talked about earlier, you may wish to look it up too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost  :P

You must understand that not everybody thinks like you (and me!)! As I said before, I am the co-admin of another forum run by my uncle. My experience is that if you oppose to somebody else, he/she occasionally gets offended even if you are polite. So, I write this. I am sorry if you get tired reading this again and again. I will write it again and again. That's my writing style when I oppose somebody. But considering your request, I am changing it.

NB. "if you are barely civilized, let yourself loose!"

You must also understand that the debating rules already exist. Did your experience not tell you that if you repeat it more than often, you give your opponents the impression that you think they are innately 'barbarous'? That's why I told you this...

Anyway, if you like writing it, it's your choice, none of my concern.

Chill!!! LOL

Alpha

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 04:49:23 am »
@Vakarian

Thank you for the post...:)
I was feeling lonely...  ::) against two... lol

@Nid

I completely agree with you. The money comes from OUR pockets. Stylish Executive's "very small percentage" represents a very big sum, which can be used elsewhere. And a big burden on citizens who DON'T have this money.

@Omer

Damn you people write so much you make me feel so pointless to remain in the debate   :D

Without you, the debate is pointless.  :D
Ah yea, I do am typing a lot...  ::)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I maintain my arguments. The death penalty is a punishment. It should NOT be criminalized.

P.S. While reading your arguments, I've had a closer look to mine. It looks like I'm shouting... Honestly, I had not taken notice of that while typing... I was tired, moody and in a hurry, I let that slip by...
Stylish Executive, I apologize again... I never meant to be offensive, even if I did seem... I don't want this debate to turn into a personal one.
Omer, I'm sincerely sorry if you've been victimized too.

Offline happy angel

• SF Geek
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 06:43:09 am »
@Vakarian

Thank you for the post...:)
I was feeling lonely...  ::) against two... lol

@Nid

I completely agree with you. The money comes from OUR pockets. Stylish Executive's "very small percentage" represents a very big sum, which can be used elsewhere. And a big burden on citizens who DON'T have this money.

@Omer

Without you, the debate is pointless.  :D
Ah yea, I do am typing a lot...  ::)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I maintain my arguments. The death penalty is a punishment. It should NOT be criminalized.

P.S. While reading your arguments, I've had a closer look to mine. It looks like I'm shouting... Honestly, I had not taken notice of that while typing... I was tired, moody and in a hurry, I let that slip by...
Stylish Executive, I apologize again... I never meant to be offensive, even if I did seem... I don't want this debate to turn into a personal one.
Omer, I'm sincerely sorry if you've been victimized too.

n i fink in mauritius we really nid it now!! its a must to stop all those crimes n violenccce

Alpha

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2009, 07:00:52 am »
n i fink in mauritius we really nid it now!! its a must to stop all those crimes n violenccce

Yup, thank you... First time I see you in the Debates Section, welcome.  ;) :D

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2009, 11:22:52 am »

Hi,

I suppose you are debating for capital punishment. Carry on.

Cheers!!!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 12:45:58 pm by $tyli$h Executive »

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2009, 12:43:49 pm »
I don't mean to say that evry1 has to die. We can afford to keep some alive and feed them.

Take for example, all the terrorists caught alive, or serial killers, rapists need severe punishment, that of death.
Some of these trials go on for ages. I'm tellin you cuz I live here in India and I see the pathetic justice system. Ajmal Amir Kasab was the sole terrorist caught alive of 26/11 attacks(2008), and his trial still continues, and what happens when it goes on for soo long, the criminal changes his confession every single time. When there is all the evidence, a full video footage, also people identifying....He was responsible for killing innocent civilians......I guess you knw abt the incident. Now I think a maniac like him deserves nothin but death

We must never be emotional. Emotion will only bring us grief. It'll just defeat us!

I know very well about the Mumbai rail attacks and agree that Ajmal Ameer Kasab needs to be prosecuted to the maximum possible extent under the law of India. So, our objective here is to determine what is the maximum possible punishment.

This is what an emotional person would say:
"OH!, THIS IS THE SON OF A BI**H AJMAL, RESPONSIBLE FOR 173 DEATHS. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING, JUST HANG HIM AT ONCE!!! JUST DO IT, YOU IDIOTS!!!"

I would say:
"Our objective is to maximise his punishment. In order to do this, death penalty is not the most effective way. After his death by lethal injection, electric chair or any other thing, his worldly punishment will come to an end. So, we should better imprison him for life. There he will eat a bare minimum of the worst quality foods, sit alone in a locked cell for all day, won't get to talk with his family, lie on a wooden bed, do odd jobs and will be tortured if he does anything wrong. He will have to bear these inconveniences for the rest of his life! No punishment, not even death itself, is greater than this!!!"

I hope I've illustrated my point!

Cheers!!!

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2009, 01:36:17 pm »
I will be absent from this forum for the next 2 or 3 days because I will have to attend an award ceremony and possibly a few TV and Radio interviews.

~Alpha, dear, I read your latest reply against my post. At an initial glance, I think that your arguements and strands were weak, feeble and fragile. However, I have no time to argue to them now. But I'll do so when I come back. In the meanwhile, I would advise you to revise them and build up a solid foundation for them.

Cheers!!!

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2009, 01:39:28 pm »
On a side note:

I did notice one thing very interesting. In this debate, ALL girls were for Death Penalty! Some boys, like OT13  were for life imprisonment. Most were for death penalty though!

Does this mean that the girls around here are all merciless?!!!

Pun intended, though!!!

Cheer UP!!!

Alpha

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2009, 02:29:59 pm »
On a side note:

I did notice one thing very interesting. In this debate, ALL girls were for Death Penalty! Some boys, like OT13  were for life imprisonment. Most were for death penalty though!

Does this mean that the girls around here are all merciless?!!!

Pun intended, though!!!

Cheer UP!!!

I was for capital punishment cause Nid was alone here... Someone needed to help her.  ;)

Girls are not merciless, LOL.  :P On the contrary.... :D