Author Topic: Time for you to suggest...!  (Read 13850 times)

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
Time for you to suggest...!
« on: April 11, 2012, 07:25:56 pm »
Hello to the few members that keep SF alive

We all know that the forum is going through its most dead phase and the activity has decresed over time but neverthless we want keep the forum alive and hence we want help/suggestions from our members.

We want you to simply state what YOU think is the reason for the decreased acitivty.

Beside reasons, we would also like you to suggest on how we can improve? Is there anything that you think should be changed?

Please tell us your opinions and we will try our best to bring back life in SF.

Thanks

SF Staff
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Amelia

Re: Time for you to suggest...!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:38:57 pm »
Even if they suggest, will we be able to act upon them?

Offline sweetsh

• Retired Adminstrator
  • SF V.I.P
  • *Freedom
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:47:50 pm »
Even if they suggest, will we be able to act upon them?

Depending on the suggestions, I guess you can.

Amelia

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:51:50 pm »
Depending on the suggestions, I guess you can.

Start then...

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:09:38 pm »
May be not everything they suggest but there might be things which we can do...

No harm trying :P
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 08:06:36 am »
1. First of all, the ads are really annoying. I am using Opera adblock so they are not a problem for me now. But I opened SF in firefox only to find 4 Ad banners and some text encoded as Ads. But thank God it was changed from clicksor to Adbrite, Clicksor infected my computer with a nasty virus which I had to remove with much toil. But overall, I would suggest the ads to be discreet, like they were in google ads.

2. I just cannot believe more than 100 guests browse the forum with none of them registering. Also the no of members shows 20000+ with so less active members? I am inclined to believe most of them are bots or advertisers. The forum's captcha system will have to be upgraded. They are eating up useful bandwidth and it is due to them that we find the forum too slow.

3. Finally, the forum's appearance. The current appearance is 4 years old, going on from 2008. I would suggest an upgrade to vBulletin or XenForo interface, both of them very attractive esp. the latter.

Offline Asante

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 12:34:03 pm »
1. First of all, the ads are really annoying. I am using Opera adblock so they are not a problem for me now. But I opened SF in firefox only to find 4 Ad banners and some text encoded as Ads. But thank God it was changed from clicksor to Adbrite, Clicksor infected my computer with a nasty virus which I had to remove with much toil. But overall, I would suggest the ads to be discreet, like they were in google ads.

2. I just cannot believe more than 100 guests browse the forum with none of them registering. Also the no of members shows 20000+ with so less active members? I am inclined to believe most of them are bots or advertisers. The forum's captcha system will have to be upgraded. They are eating up useful bandwidth and it is due to them that we find the forum too slow.

3. Finally, the forum's appearance. The current appearance is 4 years old, going on from 2008. I would suggest an upgrade to vBulletin or XenForo interface, both of them very attractive esp. the latter.

Ah, but two of those would require the aid of your absent administrator/owner of this site, no ? Tell me, where is he ? Gone AWOL it would seem ?

Truly, this forum isn't dying.... Its already dead :D

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:53:21 pm »
Ah, but two of those would require the aid of your absent administrator/owner of this site, no ? Tell me, where is he ? Gone AWOL it would seem ?

How mean!!! What's your prob?

We find resources in this forum for free that we cannot find anywhere else. When I needed the AS Physics and AS Chemistry Revision Guides, someone here having it scanned and uploaded it. Whether I need the latest past papers (for example, January 2012), any textbooks, revsion guides, teacher's guides, medical books or I have any technical problems, someone will be here to help.

Moreover, Sir Paul helps a lot in physics and maths. He must be busy. We can't expect him to be here 24/7. He must be having other things to do, like teaching, for example. He also makes videos to explain answers to SF posters' complicated questions. And he provides all this for free. May ALLAH bless him.

This forum isn't dead. It is just that people get busier day by day and they have less time to post here. I really feel like sharing my notes and help everyone around here, but I am simply too busy. But however busy I am, I will surely have a look in here once a week. Can't wait for exams to get over!! This forum is very much alive during the holidays and Ramadhan as well.

As for the suggestions to improve this forum, I strongly suggest to have a discussion thread for any upcoming exams here so that we can discuss for a particular exam in a specific thread. Take example of the 'Edexcel Unit 5 Biology Article Discussion Thread'. The summer exams are coming so we can consider my idea, can't we? With helpful discussions everyone will benefit and people will not hesitate to come to SF because they will benefit for sure.  What say?

Offline NotAbod

• Wikipedia Contributor
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 02:27:23 pm »
Please do not turn this into an argument thread, and flame other's posts
Everyone is free to tell whatever he thinks about the forum, and how we can improve.

As for you suggestion Mkh, we always make these threads, and we follow the 24hrs rule.
Thank you.

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 02:35:37 pm »
Please do not turn this into an argument thread, and flame other's posts
Everyone is free to tell whatever he thinks about the forum, and how we can improve.

As for you suggestion Mkh, we always make these threads, and we follow the 24hrs rule.
Thank you.

Good then.

Really? Then I will be on the lookout for those threads.

Offline ~ Miss Relina ~

• SF Senior Citizen
  • Every rose has a thorn
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 11:33:04 am »
Well from my point of view , I think that the people who was keeping this forum alive are busy this year , probably because they're seniors and doing A-levels or attending University  requires overcoming many tremendous challenges ..... :-\

For improvements , I strongly believe that renovating the forum appearance will attract many  people to explore it more , although , they may be focusing on studying now  :-[ . Moreover , punctual topic organizing may be needed , accompanied by deleting or filtering the very old threads which ,presumably of no use now .

Note * if i have any others which pop in my mind i will definitely post soon *
        * I recently glimpsed a completely change in one of the forums around and honestly , I loved its new layout so can I mention its name or not ?? just to have a look on the change they made as I think  we don't need to copy it but we can just  pick up what revive and introduce best ideas for our own forum is that okay  :-[ :-[ ::) ::) *
~~~Yarab everything turns alright at the end ~~~
    -----------Ameeeeeeeeeeen------------

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 01:56:08 pm »
You can pm me with the name but I think i know it already ::)

Offline Most UniQue™

• Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 02:18:25 pm »
^I guess its XPC?

Offline Deadly_king

• <<Th3 BO$$>>
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
  • Hard work ALWAYS pays off.........just be patient!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 05:49:00 pm »

Agree ^_^

Thanks for the suggestion but our main problem is our financial sector  :-\ Any suggestion concerning that is welcomed :)

We accept any form of criticism :)

But at least propose something that we can do to revert this idea of yours!

Moreover this is a free forum and everyone works here on their own will, not for any wage or anything!

How mean!!! What's your prob?

We find resources in this forum for free that we cannot find anywhere else. When I needed the AS Physics and AS Chemistry Revision Guides, someone here having it scanned and uploaded it. Whether I need the latest past papers (for example, January 2012), any textbooks, revsion guides, teacher's guides, medical books or I have any technical problems, someone will be here to help.

Moreover, Sir Paul helps a lot in physics and maths. He must be busy. We can't expect him to be here 24/7. He must be having other things to do, like teaching, for example. He also makes videos to explain answers to SF posters' complicated questions. And he provides all this for free. May ALLAH bless him.

This forum isn't dead. It is just that people get busier day by day and they have less time to post here. I really feel like sharing my notes and help everyone around here, but I am simply too busy. But however busy I am, I will surely have a look in here once a week. Can't wait for exams to get over!! This forum is very much alive during the holidays and Ramadhan as well.

As for the suggestions to improve this forum, I strongly suggest to have a discussion thread for any upcoming exams here so that we can discuss for a particular exam in a specific thread. Take example of the 'Edexcel Unit 5 Biology Article Discussion Thread'. The summer exams are coming so we can consider my idea, can't we? With helpful discussions everyone will benefit and people will not hesitate to come to SF because they will benefit for sure.  What say?

You can always start the discussion and the thread any time :)

We'll help as much as we can :D

Well from my point of view , I think that the people who was keeping this forum alive are busy this year , probably because they're seniors and doing A-levels or attending University  requires overcoming many tremendous challenges ..... :-\

For improvements , I strongly believe that renovating the forum appearance will attract many  people to explore it more , although , they may be focusing on studying now  :-[ . Moreover , punctual topic organizing may be needed , accompanied by deleting or filtering the very old threads which ,presumably of no use now .

Note * if i have any others which pop in my mind i will definitely post soon *
        * I recently glimpsed a completely change in one of the forums around and honestly , I loved its new layout so can I mention its name or not ?? just to have a look on the change they made as I think  we don't need to copy it but we can just  pick up what revive and introduce best ideas for our own forum is that okay  :-[ :-[ ::) ::) *

You are most probably right :)

We really need more active members in here.............younger ones as well, those who are less busy ;)

Which is why I propose you all advertise this forum in any way you can as a platform where you help others and get helped :D

Offline ~ Miss Relina ~

• SF Senior Citizen
  • Every rose has a thorn
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 06:13:48 pm »
~~~Yarab everything turns alright at the end ~~~
    -----------Ameeeeeeeeeeen------------