Author Topic: For PEOPLE who hav DOUBTS over CIE GRADING SYSTEM.......  (Read 10900 times)

Offline ketone

• SF Immigrant
For PEOPLE who hav DOUBTS over CIE GRADING SYSTEM.......
« on: May 23, 2010, 11:48:19 am »
Many people have been asking about the new grade policy. In fact this is the most frequent qst that i'm coming across. I replied many pm's too but here is an example for those who still have confusions after reading my earlier topic on the new grade policy.

Assume there are 2 papers of subject X. P1 has 40 marks. And p2 has 60 marks. If in July CIE sets the minimum number of marks required for an A in p1 as 32/40 and for a B as 29/40. Likewise it sets A at 52/60 in P2 and B as 48/60 in P2. So, you need a minimum of this to achieve the required grade in each paper. Now, CIE will total your number of marks. One thing is for sure the minimum required to get A* will be set as many marks above the sum of the Grade A minimum as the grade B is below it. In this example:

for B: 29 + 48 = 77/100

FOR "A" 32 + 52 = 84/100.

Now CIE will subtract the minimum for a B from A.

Hence, 84-77 = 7 marks.

These will be added to the sum of A grade marks i.e. 84 + 7 = 91 marks. Therefore, 91/100 will be the minimum for an A*.

So, you can see it is not necessary to get a minimum in each paper. If you got say 31/40 in P1 it'll be given grade B according to our assumptions above. And if you got 60/60 in P2 you'll get an A in p2. But the total will be 31 + 60 = 91 marks. Hence, you've achieved the minimum for A* .

The minimum for A* that is 91/100 in our example will be mapped onto a percentage uniform mark of 90%.

The minimum for A in our example 84 will be mapped onto a percentage uniform mark of 80% .

Thats how it will work.

Offline dodi23

• Before you meet your prince you have to kiss a lot of toads.
  • SF Master
  • MAN made beer, GOD made weed. Who do you trust?
Re: For PEOPLE who hav DOUBTS over CIE GRADING SYSTEM.......
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 11:50:49 am »
Thanks 4 the clarification!! lots of ppl hv been asking :)

Offline SAKS10111

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 12:39:33 pm »
Many people have been asking about the new grade policy. In fact this is the most frequent qst that i'm coming across. I replied many pm's too but here is an example for those who still have confusions after reading my earlier topic on the new grade policy.

Assume there are 2 papers of subject X. P1 has 40 marks. And p2 has 60 marks. If in July CIE sets the minimum number of marks required for an A in p1 as 32/40 and for a B as 29/40. Likewise it sets A at 52/60 in P2 and B as 48/60 in P2. So, you need a minimum of this to achieve the required grade in each paper. Now, CIE will total your number of marks. One thing is for sure the minimum required to get A* will be set as many marks above the sum of the Grade A minimum as the grade B is below it. In this example:

for B: 29 + 48 = 77/100

FOR "A" 32 + 52 = 84/100.

Now CIE will subtract the minimum for a B from A.

Hence, 84-77 = 7 marks.

These will be added to the sum of A grade marks i.e. 84 + 7 = 91 marks. Therefore, 91/100 will be the minimum for an A*.

So, you can see it is not necessary to get a minimum in each paper. If you got say 31/40 in P1 it'll be given grade B according to our assumptions above. And if you got 60/60 in P2 you'll get an A in p2. But the total will be 31 + 60 = 91 marks. Hence, you've achieved the minimum for A* .

The minimum for A* that is 91/100 in our example will be mapped onto a percentage uniform mark of 90%.

The minimum for A in our example 84 will be mapped onto a percentage uniform mark of 80% .

Thats how it will work.

ok thanks for that explanation, i have a question though. so i'm taking the entire CIE A level this year in one sitting, and I've already done P1 and M1, P1 i did really well on and will most probably get above 70/75, M1 i misread a question and have probably lost 7 marks :( can i still achieve an A* grade? i'm hoping the minimum grade for A in M1 will be less than 42-43!

Offline ketone

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 01:03:05 pm »
Dont worry. u can still get an A* even if you get a B in M1. but try to increase ur chances by doing well in other components of maths. BEST OF LUCK

Offline ketone

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 07:57:37 pm »
if u people hav any Questions regarding grading system, feel FREE to ask.........

Offline WARRIOR

• SF Master
  • Egyptian And so damn proud . I love you jesus!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 08:00:56 pm »
this is for igcse too right???

if it is u jsut made me a happier man !
NO secrets to SUCCESS , it is the result of 1.HARD WORK 2.GOOD PREPARATION 3.LEARNING FROM FAILURE
But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward-Balboa

Offline Gaz

• SF Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 09:56:12 am »
the cie dudes set the thresholds before the examination? like there is a set threshold for the phy p4 coming on the 28th?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Offline cashem'up

• SF Geek
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 10:15:16 am »
the cie dudes set the thresholds before the examination? like there is a set threshold for the phy p4 coming on the 28th?

hey buddy no thresholds are set afterwards.....after receiving all da entries.......dey analyze and calculate the percentile according to how each student has done as a whole.......and then set the grade thresholds accordingly...........
so if there are gr8er no. of stupid ppl appearin for xam threshold can be lower :p  ;)
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline ketone

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 12:50:52 pm »
NO ima_shah, Before 2010, grade threshholds were set after checking all the papers by the examiner but now this is nt the case. now they will set the thresholds before the checking of papers and then grade each student accordingly so better watch out!............ and this is inclusive of IGCSE also

Offline falafail

• SF Master
  • ab3'a 7asheesh
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 03:14:18 pm »
NO ima_shah, Before 2010, grade threshholds were set after checking all the papers by the examiner but now this is nt the case. now they will set the thresholds before the checking of papers and then grade each student accordingly so better watch out!............ and this is inclusive of IGCSE also

WHAT. SO THERE'S NO CURVE???

Offline pastyear

• SF Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 03:21:29 pm »
are you sure?

Offline falafail

• SF Master
  • ab3'a 7asheesh
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 03:23:58 pm »
wait, how do you know all of this? D:

Offline AS-Girl

• SF Geek
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 03:28:13 pm »
I dont think there's curves in edexcel..my teacher said they set the thresholds before marking!! so it's tough in edexcel!!!

Offline ketone

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 03:55:10 pm »
my friends live in england whom i contacted. they asked their teachers about it and their teachers askd for an explanation from CIE. here i m with all that explanation. u can also see the CIE website.......

Offline IGCSE nightmare

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 05:16:28 pm »
But this doesn't make sense .. how will they decide who'll get an A if very few candidates scored above 85% as an example?