Author Topic: Edexcel PHYSICS Doubts  (Read 132058 times)

Offline GodOfWar

• MacSabotuer
  • SF Citizen
Re: Edexcel PHYSICS Doubts
« Reply #435 on: January 23, 2011, 01:42:48 pm »
I have a question :

http://www.scribd.com/doc/46124612/Physics-Jun-2010-Actual-Exam-Paper-Unit-4

Question 4
The answer's D, but how do you get there?

It's June 2010 Unit 4 By the way
You got me ten feet off the ground <|3

elemis

« Reply #436 on: January 23, 2011, 02:09:16 pm »
I have a question :

http://www.scribd.com/doc/46124612/Physics-Jun-2010-Actual-Exam-Paper-Unit-4

Question 4
The answer's D, but how do you get there?

It's June 2010 Unit 4 By the way

Ek = 0.5mv2

P2/2m = 0.5mv2

Moving the 0.5 to the other side :

P2/2m  รท 0.5 = mv^2

Hence, simplifying to the answer in D.

Offline GodOfWar

• MacSabotuer
  • SF Citizen
« Reply #437 on: January 23, 2011, 04:09:22 pm »

What does the word derivation mean here? I thought we had use derivatives  ???

elemis

« Reply #438 on: January 23, 2011, 04:26:31 pm »
What does the word derivation mean here? I thought we had use derivatives  ???

You can derive a formula from an already known relationship.

Derive = Prove in this case.

Offline GodOfWar

• MacSabotuer
  • SF Citizen
« Reply #439 on: January 26, 2011, 06:15:37 pm »
Thanks man

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #440 on: February 14, 2011, 02:42:35 pm »
Hey can someone explain to me what is in the Photo but in a bit more detail.

Attached.

than you in advance =]
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

elemis

« Reply #441 on: February 14, 2011, 03:42:01 pm »
Hey can someone explain to me what is in the Photo but in a bit more detail.

Attached.

than you in advance =]

On it.

elemis

« Reply #442 on: February 14, 2011, 03:47:12 pm »
Two coherent sources of sound/light/water waves produce waves that impact on a screen.

The path difference is the difference in distance covered by the waves travelling from the source to the screen.

If Wave A from speaker A travels 10 m to get to a point on a screen and Wave B from speaker B travels 20 m to get to the SAME POINT, the path difference is 10 m. P.D. is usually expressed in terms of wavelengths. If the wavelengths of A and B were 5m then the P.D. can be said to be 2 lambda.

When the P.D = 0 phase difference = 0 hence constructive interference occurs i.e. the two waves superimpose such that the vector sum of their amplitudes leads to a doubling of amplitude.

When P.D. = whole no. of  wavelengths constructive interference occurs.

When P.D. = non-integer, half wavelengths you have destructive interference.

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #443 on: February 14, 2011, 03:52:12 pm »
I got it :D God bless you =]

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #444 on: February 19, 2011, 08:00:32 am »
Dispersion of light :

Well there is this little thing I don't get :S Which is the following sentence ;

the glass prism offers LESS refractive index for RED color which has  a GREATER wavelength and offers LARGER refractive index for VIOLET color having SMALLER wavelength.

it's is the SAME prism *GLASS prism* so how can it give slightly differenct refractive indices for different colors o.0 ?!..... I know the idea of refractive index being INVERSELY proportional to wavelength but I just don't get the refractive index being different for different colors part.

Thank you in advance.

elemis

« Reply #445 on: February 19, 2011, 08:51:40 am »
Dispersion of light :

Well there is this little thing I don't get :S Which is the following sentence ;

the glass prism offers LESS refractive index for RED color which has  a GREATER wavelength and offers LARGER refractive index for VIOLET color having SMALLER wavelength.

it's is the SAME prism *GLASS prism* so how can it give slightly differenct refractive indices for different colors o.0 ?!..... I know the idea of refractive index being INVERSELY proportional to wavelength but I just don't get the refractive index being different for different colors part.

Thank you in advance.

Check your source again. I think you've misread/misunderstood the given statement.

Amelia

« Reply #446 on: February 19, 2011, 09:43:48 am »
Dispersion of light :

Thank you in advance.

I found something.  :P I do hope this explains it.

The index of refraction values are dependent upon the frequency of light. For visible light, the 'n' (refractive index) value does not show a large variation with frequency, but nonetheless it shows a variation. For instance, the 'n' value for frequencies of violet light is 1.53; and the 'n' value for frequencies of red light is 1.51. The absorption and reemission process causes the higher frequency (lower wavelength) violet light to travel slower through crown glass than the lower frequency (higher wavelength) red light. It is this difference in 'n' value for the varying frequencies (and wavelengths) that causes the dispersion of light by a triangular prism. Violet light, being slowed down to a greater extent by the absorption and reemission process, refracts more than red light. Upon entry of white light at the first boundary of a triangular prism, there will be a slight separation of the white light into the component colors of the spectrum. Upon exiting the triangular prism at the second boundary, the separation becomes even greater and ROYGBIV is observed in its splendor.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refrn/u14l4a.cfm

:)

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #447 on: February 19, 2011, 11:38:27 am »
I found something.  :P I do hope this explains it.

The index of refraction values are dependent upon the frequency of light. For visible light, the 'n' (refractive index) value does not show a large variation with frequency, but nonetheless it shows a variation. For instance, the 'n' value for frequencies of violet light is 1.53; and the 'n' value for frequencies of red light is 1.51. The absorption and reemission process causes the higher frequency (lower wavelength) violet light to travel slower through crown glass than the lower frequency (higher wavelength) red light. It is this difference in 'n' value for the varying frequencies (and wavelengths) that causes the dispersion of light by a triangular prism. Violet light, being slowed down to a greater extent by the absorption and reemission process, refracts more than red light. Upon entry of white light at the first boundary of a triangular prism, there will be a slight separation of the white light into the component colors of the spectrum. Upon exiting the triangular prism at the second boundary, the separation becomes even greater and ROYGBIV is observed in its splendor.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refrn/u14l4a.cfm

:)

lia -Thanks it helped me link my ideas =D  :-*

Ari - nope it's correct but it seems I forgot that there is the equation ;

lamda 1/lamda 2 = refractive index ..meaning wavelength is what varies the refractive in this case.

lamda 1 -> in air/vaccum
lamda 2 -> in medium

Offline mayisha

« Reply #448 on: March 27, 2011, 10:06:57 pm »
If any1s takin edexcel a2 physics, can u plz plz plz see the questions at the end of the particle ccelerator chapter? It has 2 questions, 1 abt the cyclotron, n da other abt the LHC... i cant match my first answers to the book's, I just dunno wat on earth um doin wrong ... can sum1 plz plz plz try their hand at the sum ???? Thanks a ton

Offline red_911

• SF Immigrant
  • spread knowledge
« Reply #449 on: April 23, 2011, 05:37:52 pm »
hey can anyone tell me the approximate wavelength of all the electromagnetic radiation ? there are different values written on different websites ...
thanksss alot in advance