Author Topic: MIT  (Read 5117 times)

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
MIT
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:03:23 pm »

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 14 April 2010 17:26
Subject: Re: Prerequisites to study at mit?
To: Paul Smith <astarmathsandphysics@googlemail.com>

Hello,

Thank you for your email.  We appreciate your interest in MIT.

The 2011 MIT undergraduate application will be available online in August.  This email outlines requirements for 2010 admission and may change for 2011 admission - please see our website in the spring for any new information.
International admission to MIT is very competitive.  Out of more than 3,500 international applicants, we admit about 130.   Almost all international students admitted to MIT have earned some form of regional, national or international distinction in areas as diverse as leadership, music, art, scientific research, academic competition, or athletics.

We can't give you an opinion as to what your chances are, but we can give you a sense of what we look for in our applicants.  Basically, we're looking for students with strong interests -- both academic and non-academic -- who have taken a rigorous academic curriculum and done well.  We want to see that students are involved in things because they care about them, not just because they think certain activities would "look good" on their resume or college application.  We look for students who are willing to take risks, and we choose those who we feel will bring something special and unique to the MIT community.

MIT does not have specific required classes for admission but we consider an ideal preparation to include math through calculus, physics, chemistry, biology, and four years of English.

MIT requires the following test results for all applicants, regardless of completion of International Baccalaureate, A Levels, the French Baccalaureate, CBSE, IELT, or other exams. While your scores are only one component of your application, they are required.
- SAT Reasoning Test or the ACT with the writing test. In addition, we require two SAT Subject Tests: one in math (level 1 or 2), one in science (physics, chemistry, or biology e/m).  We do not have cutoff scores, however, we do consider 650 or above on the SAT's to be a competitive score.

- If English is not your native language, or you have been using English for less than five years, or you do not speak English at home, you have two options:
1) take the tests required for native English speakers (see above), or
2) you may take the TOEFL (computer, paper, or internet) and two SAT Subject Tests, one in math (level 1 or 2) and one in science (physics, chemistry, or biology e/m).

The minimum TOEFL scores required are:
Paper - 577
Computer - 233
Internet - 90

If you have been using English for less than five years or do not speak English at home, we strongly suggest you take the TOEFL, however, MIT leaves this choice up to the applicant.  Because MIT offers no English as a Second Language (ESL) programs, and English is the language of MIT, all students must show that they will thrive in our community.

Your scores must be reported to us officially from the testing agency; scores you list on your application and scores appearing on your school transcript will not be considered official. Our SAT and TOEFL code is 3514 and our ACT code is 1858.

It is important for all students - and very important for international students - to register for tests with the same name as you have indicated on your application and MyMIT account. Your record and test scores will not be linked in our system if the names do not match.

You may find more information and register for the SAT tests online at http://www.collegeboard.com, for the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) at http://www.ets.org, and for the ACT at http://www.actstudent.org.

For further information about what we look for in freshman admissions, please visit our Admissions website at http://www.mitadmissions.org/.  You may also sign up for our mailing list  at this site.

Your application will be read by a committee of experienced MIT admissions officers. We are familiar with many international school systems, including, but not limited to, the IB, A Levels, the French Baccalaureate, and CBSE, and we assure you that we will understand your curriculum and your context. Your application will be reviewed within the context of the resources available to you, including your situation as affected by family, school, culture, region, and country.

MIT awards financial aid solely on the basis of need.  We do not offer any academic or athletic scholarships.  The Office of Student Financial Services meets 100% of a family's calculated need through grants, student loans and work study. There are a number of factors MIT takes into consideration when assessing a family's ability to contribute.

International applicants must complete the MIT International Student Financial Aid Application.  This application will be available after November 1, 2009.  MIT reviews eligibility for assistance each year, however students should expect to receive the same financial aid package provided there are no significant changes in family finances and that you meet the renewal deadlines.

If you have further questions about financial aid at MIT, please contact the Office of Student Financial Services, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 11-320, Cambridge, MA 02139-4307 at (617) 253-4971 or e-mail finaid@mit.edu.  You can also learn more by visiting their website at http://web.mit.edu/finaid.

We hope this information is helpful as you prepare for your college career.
Sincerely,
MIT International Admissions
http://www.mitadmissions.org/

Paul Smith wrote:

I have been looking for scholarships for *undergraduate* study. And I am afraid to say that I have found very little. I really want to study in *MIT*. But, I do now know what I have to do, what extra qualifications that I have to take etc. The people at MIT say they give credits to A levels, but does that mean that I do not have to do SATs, do I need to do SAT I as well as SAT II??

Secondly, I want to know if you give full scholarships to undergraduates from places like Bangladesh. More importantly, I need to know when I need to apply for this University, like *after AS or after A2*. Sir, you might say to do my undergraduates in this country and then do my masters in MIT, but sir, the longer I sat here, the higher the chance that I will lose my sanity.

--
http://www.astarmathsandphysics.com
https://studentforums.biz
http://www.courseworkbank.info

nid404

Re: MIT
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:05:03 pm »
suckaazz don't offer no scholarship !!!! They're god damn expensive!!!  It's my dream uni...... :-\

Amr Fouad

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:07:31 pm »
Yeah..It is RARE to find scholarships in US unis..

In Canada perhaps

nid404

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 07:12:40 pm »
I'm tending towards New Zealand

Amr Fouad

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:16:35 pm »
I heard its a good place..But my advice is to do your undergraduate studies in your country, then the Post graduate abroad..

Best of luck anyways!

nid404

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 07:25:46 pm »
I heard its a good place..But my advice is to do your undergraduate studies in your country, then the Post graduate abroad..

Best of luck anyways!

I want to do genetics...I'll do it in India only if i get into iit....or im goin abroad...cuz there's nothin much for my field here

thanks tho

Ur a bright kid I've known  ;)

Amr Fouad

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 07:29:36 pm »
I want to do genetics...I'll do it in India only if i get into iit....or im goin abroad...cuz there's nothin much for my field here

thanks tho

Ur a bright kid I've known  ;)
:-[ :-[ lol Thank You..i am not that bright lol..maybe a bit  8) JK lol

i heard you are the SUPER SUPER member in chemistry and bio! You would rock in Genetics!

nid404

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 07:30:59 pm »
:-[ :-[ lol Thank You..i am not that bright lol..maybe a bit  8) JK lol

i heard you are the SUPER SUPER member in chemistry and bio! You would rock in Genetics!

So I've heard  8) :P

Thank you

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 07:52:27 pm »
I will have more conversations with MIT about scholarships. I had the impression they are available to foreign students.

Amr Fouad

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:54:01 pm »
I will have more conversations with MIT about scholarships. I had the impression they are available to foreign students.

Astar..you are A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

Offline SGVaibhav

• SF Farseer
  • Bugatti Veyron 16.4
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 11:29:23 pm »
have to ask if they accept transfers..

nid404

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 04:55:04 am »

You're friggin AWESOME

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 05:05:30 pm »
Little or without scholarship is ok too. But the main problem is the SAT II. Is it essential?

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 08:04:46 pm »
but sir, the longer I sat here, the higher the chance that I will lose my sanity.

LOL! ;D :D

Offline sabbath_92

• SF Citizen
    • Formspring
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 12:50:35 pm »
Little or without scholarship is ok too. But the main problem is the SAT II. Is it essential?

SAT II is essential. And scholarships are usually based on your financial needs, IF you get in the university. MIT is a needs blind university, meaning your financial need will not have much affect whether you get admission. If you get a letter of acceptance, you will be asked to provide your family's income tax details. If the appropriate people on the governing body find that you need financial aid, you will be given as much as you require. It is written in their website that MIT ensures no student is unable to study at the university because of a financial disadvantage.

Just focus on getting good grades and getting good extra curriculars. If you get admitted, you don't have to worry much about finance.