Author Topic: Guide to the IELTS in Kuwait  (Read 9714 times)

Offline Q80BOY

• SF Veteran
  • SF Master
    • The Avenues Blog
Guide to the IELTS in Kuwait
« on: April 12, 2010, 03:26:27 pm »
Hiya guys,

As I've done the IELTS in Kuwait recently, I would like to share my experience and how I prepared for the test.

First of all what's the IELTS?

It's the International English Language Testing System, the world’s proven English test. Over 1.4 million candidates take the test each year to start their journeys into international education and employment.

Application procedures

- Download and print the  application form

- Fill out the application form, then drop it at the British Council in Mansouriya, they will ask for your Passport, Civil ID, 2 photos and ofcourse the test fee (69 KD)

- You will then receive a confirmation letter, informing you about the place and time of your test

- Note: to ensure availability, they ask you to apply 5 weeks before your preferred date, i applied 2 weeks before and they accepted me, so it depends. See the dates for the IELTS test in Kuwait here

Preparation

- I did all my preparation from this website http://www.ielts-exam.net

- Xtreme papers has a great guide too, check out their IELTS section

- Free Exam Papers has an IELTS section as well with great resources!

The test

- Held in the AUK (American University of Kuwait) in Salmiya

- starts at approximately 9.00 AM (even though they tell you attend at 8.30)

- Consists of a Listening, Reading and Writing papers.

- The listening paper is 30 minutes long, with a 10 minutes gap at the end for writing your answers. You hear the recording by a headphone!

- The reading paper is 1 hour long, no gaps for writing answers, everything must be done in the hour!

- The writing paper is 1 hour long, two tasks, the first asks you to describe a table/graph/chart and the second one asks you to argue a certain issue or topic.

The Speaking test

- This is held either on the day of the exam or on another day, mine was on the same day!

- Its held in the British Council, it asks you to come 45 minutes before the exam time, I did and did the exam before my scheduled time! :D

- The test is 15 minutes long .. consists of 3 parts:

1. Talk about yourself/family/studies etc.
2. Discuss a topic (given by the examiner)
3. Answering questions based on the topic

- Its easy .. don't worry .. just talk!! :P

Finally

Best of luck with the test .. if you need any help don't hesitate to contact me!! ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:53:02 am by Q80BOY »
Read my blog @ www.avenuesq8.wordpress.com

and follow me on twitter @ www.twitter.com/Q80BOY

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
Re: Guide to the IELTS in Kuwait
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 07:58:50 pm »
u guys can ask helo frm me as well, i dont mind.

Offline Orten999

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:59:55 pm »
I did not knew that what is the full foam of IELTS "International English Language Testing System" thanks for sharing this information.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 01:37:41 pm by sgvaibhav »

Offline nursecindy

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 08:18:33 am »
This is true and just a tip on the speaking part, don't do any long pause or it will decrease a single band.

Offline classboat

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 01:17:54 pm »
IELTS is one of the difficult exams. So you should start the preparation at an early stage of your education.
IELTS is an acronym for International English Language Testing System. This exam is conducted by the British Council, IELTS Australia, and Cambridge Assessment English.

This exam has 4 different tests: Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. You must be aware of the format of this exam. Start giving the mock tests and you will be able to find your weakness. So now practice more on your weakness and you will be well prepared for the exam.
I would like to suggest you the Best Classes for IELTS in Mumbai. I hope you will go through this.

Offline Oloughlio69

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 08:18:06 am »
These are quite amazing guides. Best thing is that all the sections are covered properly. Reading is tough but can be attempted if proper tips are explained. Quite satisfied with writing and all other modules taught at ielts coaching in Chandigarh joined by me and my friend recently. Their practice material is super duper helpful.