Author Topic: ANY DOUBTS HERE!!!  (Read 32197 times)

nid404

Re: ANY DOUBTS HERE!!!
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 11:07:01 am »
In 6 hours

Offline ruby92

• SF Citizen
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2010, 12:46:32 pm »
w02
3.(from the data booklet) Al has a 1st I.E. of 577 and a 2nd I.E. of 1820
so the total i.e. when forming an ion with a 2+ charge is 577+1820=2397
(also from data booklet) Co has a 1st I.E. of 757 and 2nd I.E. of 1640
so the total energy to form a 2+ charge is also 2397
therefore the answer is A

w06
i dont get this  ???  :(

Amr Fouad

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2010, 12:55:19 pm »
i have some more chem questions :
w 02
3) Use of the Data Booklet is relevant to this question.
In the gas phase, aluminium and a transition element require the same amount of energy to form
one mole of an ion with a 2+ charge.
What is the transition element?
A Co
B Cr
C Cu
D Ni

the other 2 are attached -i couldnt copy paste

mj06
2 A sample of chlorine containing isotopes of mass numbers 35 and 37 was analysed in a
mass-spectrometer.
How many peaks corresponding to Cl2+ were recorded?
A 2
B 3
C 4
D 5

mj 2006:

answer is B (3)

u have a 3 types of chlorine molecules

(35,35)
(35,37)
(37,37)

i.e one chlorine atom with 35,other with 37, etc..

Offline ruby92

• SF Citizen
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2010, 12:57:07 pm »
mj 2006:

answer is B (3)

u have a 3 types of chlorine molecules

(35,35)
(35,37)
(37,37)

i.e one chlorine atom with 35,other with 37, etc..

could u explain this in more detain please  ??? ???

nid404

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2010, 07:12:28 am »
w02
3.(from the data booklet) Al has a 1st I.E. of 577 and a 2nd I.E. of 1820
so the total i.e. when forming an ion with a 2+ charge is 577+1820=2397
(also from data booklet) Co has a 1st I.E. of 757 and 2nd I.E. of 1640
so the total energy to form a 2+ charge is also 2397
therefore the answer is A

w06
i dont get this  ???  :(

Yup, that's how it is for the first one...

nov 06..which q?

Amr Fouad

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2010, 07:15:45 am »

alright..here is the deal..chlorine is a diatomic element that consists of 2 atoms paired up, right?

there are 2 isotopes of chlorine, 35 and 37..therefore, it is possible to have only 3 combinations of these 2 isotopes..

1) a diatomic molecule with one 35 Cl atom, and 1 35 Cl atom
2) a diatomic molecule with one 35 Cl atom, and 1 37 Cl atom
3) a diatomic molecule with one 37 Cl atom, and one 37 Cl atom

got that?

nid404

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2010, 07:22:29 am »

Chlorine has two isotopes, 35Cl and 37Cl, in the approximate ratio of 3 atoms of 35Cl to 1 atom of 37Cl. You might suppose that the mass spectrum would look like this:

The problem is that chlorine consists of molecules, not individual atoms. When chlorine is passed into the ionisation chamber, an electron is knocked off the molecule to give a molecular ion, Cl2+. These ions won't be particularly stable, and some will fall apart to give a chlorine atom and a Cl+ ion. The term for this is fragmentation.

If the Cl atom formed isn't then ionised in the ionisation chamber, it simply gets lost in the machine - neither accelerated nor deflected.

The Cl+ ions will pass through the machine and will give lines at 35 and 37, depending on the isotope and you would get exactly the pattern in the last diagram. The problem is that you will also record lines for the unfragmented Cl2+ ions.

Think about the possible combinations of chlorine-35 and chlorine-37 atoms in a Cl2+ ion.

Both atoms could be 35Cl, both atoms could be 37Cl, or you could have one of each sort. That would give you total masses of the Cl2+ ion of:

35 + 35 = 70

35 + 37 = 72

37 + 37 = 74

That means that you would get a set of lines in the m/z = 70 region looking like this:

The overall mass spectrum looks like this:

yaa?

Offline Metallicnak

• StEp Up Or StAy DoWn
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2010, 03:37:49 pm »
Sorry to break up all the Chem discussions guys :P but I need to get some physics doubts straight here.

1)  Does a material vibrates at its maximum amplitude when its at its fundamental frequency compared to its other modes of vibration.   If so then isnt fundamental frequency of a material the same thing as the materials natural frequency.

2) Can someone tell me the differences between a single slit interference and double slit and if light can produce an interference pattern through a single slit, when one of the double slits are covered sholdnt an interference pattern still be noticed?

3) Explanation of doppler effect when the observer is moving towards the source of sound.

Guys if u could speed up on ur replys i would be grateful hve a mock exam tommorow :-\
Much help appreciated! :)

Offline Sue T

• SF Citizen
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2010, 10:42:22 am »
thank u all
if any1 would kindly check the attached questions (just 2 more of paper 1) - i've been carrying them around 4 more than a month now - no 1 seems 2 no how 2 do em..
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.

Offline sweetie

• SF Citizen
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2010, 06:33:42 pm »
cud sum1 plz xplain Q10 of this paper????????

nid404

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2010, 07:36:24 pm »
Making it alkaline would be adding more hydroxyl anions...when conc of OH- ions increase, equilibrium will shift to the left to resist the change(le chateliers)

Amr Fouad

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 07:48:24 pm »
Sorry to break up all the Chem discussions guys :P but I need to get some physics doubts straight here.

1)  Does a material vibrates at its maximum amplitude when its at its fundamental frequency compared to its other modes of vibration.   If so then isnt fundamental frequency of a material the same thing as the materials natural frequency.

2) Can someone tell me the differences between a single slit interference and double slit and if light can produce an interference pattern through a single slit, when one of the double slits are covered sholdnt an interference pattern still be noticed?

3) Explanation of doppler effect when the observer is moving towards the source of sound.

Guys if u could speed up on ur replys i would be grateful hve a mock exam tommorow :-\
Much help appreciated! :)

1) First of all, do not confuse the fundamental frequency with the natural frequency. From your doubts I believe you are doing Edexcel Physics AS.
And the fundamental frequency does not mean vibration at the maximum amplitude, as you have infinite multiples of the fundamental frequency; first harmonic, second harmonic, etc..

2) Interference occurs only when you have to sources of waves. Thats the main difference between single and double slits. In a single slit, diffraction only occurs. But in a double slit, interference occurs due to diffraction of waves.
There is NO INTERFERENCE IN SINGLE SLITS.

3) The examiner never gives you the situation where the observer moves towards the source, the opposite happens. Check out this video.. It is really helpful [yt=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t63xYSgmKE[/yt]

Sorry for the late reply.. I just got your post  :-\

Offline sweetie

• SF Citizen
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2010, 09:03:04 pm »
Making it alkaline would be adding more hydroxyl anions...when conc of OH- ions increase, equilibrium will shift to the left to resist the change(le chateliers)

isnt precipitating more V3+ ions has the same effect , so why is option B wrong?????

nid404

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2010, 05:15:30 am »
Reagents are used to detect the presence of a particular ion.....
So what they mean by precipitating V3+ ions is the already existing V3+ ions are being precipitated, they are dissolved prior to the addition...there's no change in conc/amount of V3+ ions, only the existing ions dissolved would be precipitated, this will not bring about a change in equilibrium

Offline Metallicnak

• StEp Up Or StAy DoWn
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2010, 05:02:39 pm »
Thanks for the info ~ A.F ~ preety much cleared all the doubts  :D, By the way no probs on the delay.

Thanks again.