Author Topic: ALL PHYSICS DOUBTS - POST HERE !!  (Read 197557 times)

Offline 33oomar

Re: ALL PHYSICS DOUBTS - POST HERE !!
« Reply #1455 on: May 25, 2010, 07:19:35 pm »
please help in
q5 paper 1 may/june 2006

Offline Shazizzzle

• SF Citizen
« Reply #1456 on: May 25, 2010, 07:19:51 pm »
Help with O/n 03 q 27 .. ans is  B .. WHY ?
Thanks in advance!

It's a steel ball. When a metal such as iron or steel is brought near a magnet, magnetism is INDUCED in it, i.e haphazard domains arrange, and the metal is always ATTRACTED. Thus, the steel ball, which is unmagnetised, will become magnetised, i.e will be ATTRACTED to the N pole.
•$#@2™•

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #1457 on: May 25, 2010, 07:20:13 pm »
I have already given my IGCSEs :D

r u takin AS or smthn ?
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

Offline Vin

• SF V.I.P
    • Theory of Life - A new skew.
« Reply #1458 on: May 25, 2010, 07:22:38 pm »
Help with O/n 03 q 27 .. ans is  B .. WHY ?
Thanks in advance!

ok the steel ball rolled is attracted to the magnet so it deflects upwards .. however u may ask why didnt it 'stick' the magnet .. probably because the ball is pushed with a force which overcomes the strength of the magnetic field ..

Offline Shazizzzle

• SF Citizen
« Reply #1459 on: May 25, 2010, 07:24:59 pm »
ok the steel ball rolled is attracted to the magnet so it deflects upwards .. however u may ask why didnt it 'stick' the magnet .. probably because the ball is pushed with a force which overcomes the strength of the magnetic field ..

Yes, in other words, the force applied in the 'push' is greater than the pull of the magnet, thus it IS ATTRACTED, however continues forward motion, but the attraction creates deviation of path, i.e deflecting in towards the N.
•$#@2™•

Offline ambitious94

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #1460 on: May 25, 2010, 07:25:57 pm »
As soon as the metal files off the stone it gets cooled .. hence the person doesnt feel anything .. It has a low thermal capacity meaning looses fast  
Thanks VIN, ur a blessing :P =D ;)

Offline Vin

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #1461 on: May 25, 2010, 07:26:28 pm »
please help in
q5 paper 1 may/june 2006

Answer is B for the simple reason because umm .. lets start from A .. 1 g, 1 g, 5 g, 10 g .. no matter where u place them 5 g, 10 g spoil the broth :P
B- 1 g, 2 g, 2 g, 5 g .. u can place 1 g, 2 g, 2 g on one side and 5g on the other to balance .. try the others u wont get them ..

Offline 8T

• SF Citizen
« Reply #1462 on: May 25, 2010, 07:27:54 pm »
It's a steel ball. When a metal such as iron or steel is brought near a magnet, magnetism is INDUCED in it, i.e haphazard domains arrange, and the metal is always ATTRACTED. Thus, the steel ball, which is unmagnetised, will become magnetised, i.e will be ATTRACTED to the N pole.

You mentioned that it is attracted to N which means south pole of the ball is attracted..
Main question why not A??
Thanks 4 the effort (:
Know how to ask. There is nothing more difficult for some people, nor for others, easier.

Offline Vin

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #1463 on: May 25, 2010, 07:28:23 pm »
Thanks VIN, ur a blessing :P =D ;)

thanks ;) actually a typo .. i meant.. at the end "looses heat faster" ;)

Offline the_grim_reaper

• SF Citizen
« Reply #1464 on: May 25, 2010, 07:28:32 pm »
nonono! haha, look, the current for the first round will move from positive to negative terminal , next, it will move from negative to positive, this keeps on happening..

hahaha thanks!!!!!!!! U're a life saver. Just 1 final thing, this explains why a capacitor won't charge with AC cause it will prevent accumulation of charges right?? Meaning it will charge and discharge??? And to produce an induced EMF, is it necessary to use an alternating field (the one provided by AC)?? Since DC will not produce an alternating field and no induced EMF right????

Offline Vin

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #1465 on: May 25, 2010, 07:29:41 pm »
You mentioned that it is attracted to N which means south pole of the ball is attracted..
Thanks 4 the effort (:

See its a metal ball .. it doesnt hav a pole until another magnet 'sticks' to it .. S or N .. doesnt matter for the ball

Offline Shazizzzle

• SF Citizen
« Reply #1466 on: May 25, 2010, 07:31:49 pm »
Thanks 4 the effort (:

See, the ball is UNMAGNETISED.
When it is exposed to N of magnet, that side automatically gains the S pole.
Thus, it ATTRACTS to the North.
In A, however, the ball is deflect downwards. That would mean it is repelling, which it is NOT.
Unlike poles attract!
•$#@2™•

Offline 33oomar

« Reply #1467 on: May 25, 2010, 07:33:46 pm »
Answer is B for the simple reason because umm .. lets start from A .. 1 g, 1 g, 5 g, 10 g .. no matter where u place them 5 g, 10 g spoil the broth :P
B- 1 g, 2 g, 2 g, 5 g .. u can place 1 g, 2 g, 2 g on one side and 5g on the other to balance .. try the others u wont get them ..

Oh i got it now :-\
Thanks a lot Homie

Offline Vin

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #1468 on: May 25, 2010, 07:34:58 pm »

hahaha thanks!!!!!!!! U're a life saver. Just 1 final thing, this explains why a capacitor won't charge with AC cause it will prevent accumulation of charges right?? Meaning it will charge and discharge??? And to produce an induced EMF, is it necessary to use an alternating field (the one provided by AC)?? Since DC will not produce an alternating field and no induced EMF right????

ok u said "a capacitor won't charge with AC cause it will prevent accumulation of charges right??" PERFECT!

" Meaning it will charge and discharge"  i dont think it will charge on the first place because the to and fro is so fast tht the capacitor wont be able to have enough time to get charged .. ;)

" And to produce an induced EMF, is it necessary to use an alternating field (the one provided by AC)?? Since DC will not produce an alternating field and no induced EMF right????"   yup this is right .. do you know WHY ac is needed for induced pd ??

Offline 8T

• SF Citizen
« Reply #1469 on: May 25, 2010, 07:36:21 pm »
See, the ball is UNMAGNETISED.
When it is exposed to N of magnet, that side automatically gains the S pole.
Thus, it ATTRACTS to the North.
In A, however, the ball is deflect downwards. That would mean it is repelling, which it is NOT.
Unlike poles attract!
oH.. I didnt know it automatically gains S pole .
Many Thanks.
Know how to ask. There is nothing more difficult for some people, nor for others, easier.