Author Topic: NEED HELP IN BIO!!!  (Read 7104 times)

Offline nits94

• SF Citizen
NEED HELP IN BIO!!!
« on: November 01, 2009, 10:00:18 am »
A few questions I cant understand so please help me out with them.. :)
How can bacteria be genetically engineered and used to make human insulin...if u guys need ref this ques is in 2005 oct/nov paper...question5
and another 1...enzymes are used in biological washing powders this may increase the efficiency of the washing powder in removing stains from clothes so why does the temperature of the wash need to be carefully controlled??
please tell me the answers...Thanks in advance.. :)
Choosy mothers choose studies... ;)

Offline cooldude

• SF Citizen
Re: NEED HELP IN BIO!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:35:38 am »
Part 1 - There are two types of micro-organisms which can be used to make enzymes - fungi or bacteria. The micro-organisms are then added a fermenter [which is a large, sterile container containing a stirrer, air pipes (to blow air into the mixture) and a pipe to add feedstock]. The temperature is maintained at about 26.c and at a pH of less then neutral (about 5-6). The enzymes produced are then of two types - extracellular (which are extracted from the foodstock by filtering) and intracellular (which are basically extracellular enzymes, crushed and washed with water); the enzymes are now in solution.

Part 2 - Enzymes help in removing stains from clothes because enzymes such as proteases break down blood stains (as blood contains the protein called haemoglobin) so then this makes it easier to remove stains. Furthermore, stains made by oils can also be removed because oils are lipids so they can be broken down by lipase enzymes into fatty acids and glycerol which makes the removing more efficient. The temperature has to be controlled carefully because if the temperature is too high then the enzymes active site gets permanently denatured and if the temperature is too low then the process will be too slow (these are the effects of variables on enzyme activity).

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:51:07 am by cooldude »

Offline @d!_†oX!©

• SF Master
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:06:18 am »
Part 1 - There are two types of micro-organisms which can be used to make enzymes - fungi or bacteria. The micro-organisms are then added a fermenter [which is a large, sterile container containing a stirrer, air pipes (to blow air into the mixture) and a pipe to add feedstock]. The temperature is maintained at about 26.c and at a pH of less then neutral (about 5-6). The enzymes produced are then of two types - extracellular (which are extracted from the foodstock by filtering) and intracellular (which are basically extracellular enzymes, crushed and washed with water); the enzymes are now in solution.

Part 2 - Enzymes help in removing stains from clothes because enzymes such as proteases break down blood stains (as blood contains the protein called haemoglobin) so then this makes it easier to remove stains. Furthermore, stains made by oils can also be removed because oils are lipids so they can be broken down by lipase enzymes into fatty acids and glycerol which makes the removing more efficient. The temperature has to be controlled carefully because if the temperature is too high then the enzymes active site gets permanently denatured and if the temperature is too low then the process will be too slow (these are the effects of variables on enzyme activity).

cool dude!!
she is asking about manufacture of insulin by bacteria...not enzymes...
so here u go

1)the gene responsible for the synthesis of insulin is selected from a human DNA
2)the gene is cut by the help of special enzymes(u do not need to know their names)
3)a bacteria cell is taken and the plasmid(round structure containing the genetic material of bacteria) is removed from it
4)the plasmid is cut open by the help of the same special enzyme and the gene for insulin is stuck to this plasmid by another set of enzymes
5)the enzyme for sticking is again used to close the plasmid
6)the plasmid is returned to the bacteria cell which now contains the gene to synthesize insulin
7)this bacteria is left to reproduce and a huge population of bacteria containing the insulin gene is produced
8)the bacteria cells produce the insulin which is extracted and used for human beings

I hope this makes it clear!!!
AAL IZZ WELL!!! ;)

Offline cooldude

• SF Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:37:18 am »
cool dude!!
she is asking about manufacture of insulin by bacteria...not enzymes...
so here u go

1)the gene responsible for the synthesis of insulin is selected from a human DNA
2)the gene is cut by the help of special enzymes(u do not need to know their names)
3)a bacteria cell is taken and the plasmid(round structure containing the genetic material of bacteria) is removed from it
4)the plasmid is cut open by the help of the same special enzyme and the gene for insulin is stuck to this plasmid by another set of enzymes
5)the enzyme for sticking is again used to close the plasmid
6)the plasmid is returned to the bacteria cell which now contains the gene to synthesize insulin
7)this bacteria is left to reproduce and a huge population of bacteria containing the insulin gene is produced
8)the bacteria cells produce the insulin which is extracted and used for human beings

I hope this makes it clear!!!

oh yeh sorry i answered the second part first cuz i knew that part better so i assumed that the first part mustve been related...:P....neway like it matters, u answered it...By the way stuck is kind of informal, better word would be incorporated....and just to impress the examiner nitya the enzyme is endonuclease..;)....(although like adi says its not required)

@adi-better brush up on ur vocab we've got p3 tomorrow

Offline @d!_†oX!©

• SF Master
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 11:41:46 am »
dude vocab's not wat u really need tom....
wat i really need is my mind...
if its thee...i'll do wonders...
if its not ...the examiner will do wonders!!!
AAL IZZ WELL!!! ;)

Offline cooldude

• SF Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 11:43:57 am »
dude vocab's not wat u really need tom....
wat i really need is my mind...
if its thee...i'll do wonders...
if its not ...the examiner will do wonders!!!

lol, ur talkin as though u dnt hve ur mind half the time

Offline @d!_†oX!©

• SF Master
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 11:45:10 am »
dude correct it!!!
i dont have my mind 3/4 th of the tym
can u plss reply to my pm..
i sent u 1 in the morning
AAL IZZ WELL!!! ;)

Offline cooldude

• SF Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 11:47:06 am »
dude correct it!!!
i dont have my mind 3/4 th of the tym
can u plss reply to my pm..
i sent u 1 in the morning

oh yeh sry bout that, the inbox notification is in such a small location i hardly notice it, w8 ill just reply

Offline nits94

• SF Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 03:35:09 pm »
hey thanks sooo much.. :) :) :) :) :) what r u all doing for bio??? just papers?

Offline nits94

• SF Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 03:40:41 pm »
o ya and best of luck for ur FLE paper... :) :)

Offline cooldude

• SF Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 04:08:05 pm »
hey thanks sooo much.. :) :) :) :) :) what r u all doing for bio??? just papers?

Thanks for the luck nitya im gonna need it, yeh more or less im just gonna do june 09 once and read the guide got hist and maths that day too...:(:(:(:(

Offline nits94

• SF Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 04:09:39 pm »
poor u.. :P :P ...unfortunetly I dont hv d guide so sticking to past papers as usual...is d support chp imp?? u gonna do it??

Offline cooldude

• SF Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 04:11:01 pm »
poor u.. :P :P ...unfortunetly I dont hv d guide so sticking to past papers as usual...is d support chp imp?? u gonna do it??

yep a bit of it and it wont kill u to read 3 pages either.....:P:P...just read the related part in the syll if ur so lazy..:P:P

Offline nits94

• SF Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 04:14:01 pm »
I already did that chp ... :P :P (proves m not LAZY) ;) :p ..but its hard to remember the bones and all.... so was just re-confirming nd By the way has nephrones cm in any past paper???

Offline cooldude

• SF Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 04:16:02 pm »
I already did that chp ... :P :P (proves m not LAZY) ;) :p ..but its hard to remember the bones and all.... so was just re-confirming nd By the way has nephrones cm in any past paper???

yep june 08, and u dnt hve to remember all those bones!!!!!!!!! just the position of the tibia and fibula