Author Topic: Bio Help - manufacture of enzymes in fermenter  (Read 1123 times)

Offline magician007

• SF Immigrant
Bio Help - manufacture of enzymes in fermenter
« on: June 06, 2009, 07:47:09 am »
hey guys...

i have been wondering how this works for ages, but ive never been able to understand it
The topic is enzymes - it has to do with intracellular and extracellular enzymes, fungi, bacteria, and a fermenter...

Also, my book says these enzymes are manufactured for use in biological washing powders...

anyone could explain it or have an animation?

thanks in advance

Offline omfg.natalie

• totally.natalie@hotmail.com
Re: Bio Help - manufacture of enzymes in fermenter
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:18:41 am »
hey guys...

i have been wondering how this works for ages, but ive never been able to understand it
The topic is enzymes - it has to do with intracellular and extracellular enzymes, fungi, bacteria, and a fermenter...

Also, my book says these enzymes are manufactured for use in biological washing powders...

anyone could explain it or have an animation?

thanks in advance

I dont have an animation so i will explain:

Ok so lets say you spill some milk or egg on your clothes. These are obviously going to stain them. The biological washing powders contain enzymes that digest these proteins to make the clothes lovely and clean again.
The enzyme to do this is the protease enzyme that comes from the bacteria Bacillus substilis.
This all takes place in a fermenter ( a large metal container holding many litres of bacteria).
The enzymes have to be kept at a low temp.
Inside the fermenter, there is a stirir that keeps the mixture moving which provided oxygen for the bacteria.
This helps the bacteria to multiply and then the protease enzymes are collected.
Enzyme is then purified and supplied to the shops and stuff ;p

complicated, i know :p

hope that helped tho! ;)

Offline goin4dakill

• SF Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 08:23:08 am »
Hey Nat,

do u actually have to know Bacillus Sibstillus.. or whatever it is?? Is that in our book?

and also..so a fermenter..is for the manufacture of protease, right? If i understood carefully?

Offline rohanm

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 08:26:40 am »
hey,

Whats the difference between extracellular and intracellular enzymes...and in my book, it says feedstock (molasses or cornsteep liquor) are added to the fermenter.

help please?
Best of luck

Offline omfg.natalie

• totally.natalie@hotmail.com
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 08:30:21 am »
hey,

Whats the difference between extracellular and intracellular enzymes...and in my book, it says feedstock (molasses or cornsteep liquor) are added to the fermenter.

help please?

Ok well intracellular enzyme are made in the cell to speed up the reaction of the cytoplasm and nucleus.

Extracellular enzymes are made inside the cell too, but are let out of the cell to do their work

;)