Author Topic: Biology Paper 1 and 3 help HERE ONLY!!!  (Read 46767 times)

Offline hmh

• SF Geek
Re: Biology Paper 1 and 3 help HERE ONLY!!!
« Reply #450 on: June 07, 2009, 04:37:41 pm »
Can anyone help me with these questions..

Q:Describe how the structure of Xylem tissue is adapted to its functions And the Mechanism of water movement through Xylem.

Q:How blood provides suitable conditions for the reproduction of viruses.

The tracheids, fibres, and vessels present in the xylem, become lignified during development, losing their living contents. This makes the tissue impermeable (to water) so none is lost as water is transported via the xylem. The tracheids' bordered pits allow for the rapid movement of water from cell to cell.

As is with tracheids, the lignification of vessels can occur as rings, spirals, scalariform or reticulate. In the first formed xylem, rings and spirals occur more frequently. This allows for a limited amount of stretching which may occur in young structures.

Both tracheids and vessels provide a pathway for the transportation of water, whilst also contributing to support.

Hope tht helps!

Is that depth needed in the bio syllabus.. please say no!

No its not needed. :)
Help Yourself! And Everyone gets involved to take you to your destination!!

Offline goin4dakill

• SF Citizen
« Reply #451 on: June 07, 2009, 04:39:51 pm »
Can anyone help me with these questions..

Q:Describe how the structure of Xylem tissue is adapted to its functions And the Mechanism of water movement through Xylem.

Q:How blood provides suitable conditions for the reproduction of viruses.

The tracheids, fibres, and vessels present in the xylem, become lignified during development, losing their living contents. This makes the tissue impermeable (to water) so none is lost as water is transported via the xylem. The tracheids' bordered pits allow for the rapid movement of water from cell to cell.

As is with tracheids, the lignification of vessels can occur as rings, spirals, scalariform or reticulate. In the first formed xylem, rings and spirals occur more frequently. This allows for a limited amount of stretching which may occur in young structures.

Both tracheids and vessels provide a pathway for the transportation of water, whilst also contributing to support.

Hope tht helps!

I really dont know any of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean tracheids?
What i know is..
Xylem:
-no cytoplasm
-cells arranged in columsn up the plant
-impregnated with waterproofing and reinforcing materials
-no cross walls (so water doesnt leak)

Offline hmh

• SF Geek
« Reply #452 on: June 07, 2009, 04:42:04 pm »
Tracheids are elongated cells in the xylem of vascular plants that serve in the transport of water and mineral salts.

You dont need to know tht in depth m8... i guess i answered in too much detail... srry guys.. dnt be scared :(

nid404

« Reply #453 on: June 07, 2009, 04:49:52 pm »
heyy guys

BEST OF LUCK!!!! for ur exam(s) tomorrow. I hope every1 does well

Offline goin4dakill

• SF Citizen
« Reply #454 on: June 07, 2009, 04:50:21 pm »
Tracheids are elongated cells in the xylem of vascular plants that serve in the transport of water and mineral salts.

You dont need to know tht in depth m8... i guess i answered in too much detail... srry guys.. dnt be scared :(

oh no its fine! just wondering hehe
but now i know what tracheids are :)

Offline hmh

• SF Geek
« Reply #455 on: June 07, 2009, 04:51:53 pm »

oh no its fine! just wondering hehe
but now i know what tracheids are :)

oh.. thats gud tht i have been able to help :) Gud luck

Offline monnie

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #456 on: June 07, 2009, 05:43:41 pm »
Hi how is biology with all of you
i have alot of questions considering i hate this subject so here they are please answer quickly
1. what the hell is conditioned reflexes?
2. what is the function of the midbrain?
3. can u tell me examples of continous and discontinous variations other than height and blood group?
4. what is the water cycle?i don't have it
5. what are the effects of deforestation?
6. what is biological control?
7. what is the function of companion cells?
8. what is negative and positive feedbacks, with examples please?and what is the difference between them?

i know they are alot but i realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly hate this subject and i don't get anything and the exam is tomorow
so many thanks for any contribution

woah woah... tats a long list u got there.. n dont hate the subject.. love it and it'l;l make sense... like how at first ppl dont make sense but when u fall in love with them it mkes sense.. lol okay enouhg beating around the bush here goes..

1. Conditioned reflexes are reflexes that you learn.. For example when you learn how to drive a car(i failed at this) your brain need to coordinate your hand on the stickshift, ur other hand on the steering wheel, one foot on the clutch and the other on the accellerator.. but after a while.. u get used to all this and ur brain and body is able to coordinate due to muscle memory..  It's like a baby learning how to walk.. once u get the hang of it all you dont even need to think twice about how where to keep ur hand on the steering wheel, when u need to put in the clutch (ugh manual testing -.-) and etc...

2. I've never studied or heard of the midbrain up till this point but i've done some digging up.. but its just basic information so here goes.. The midbrain is the smallest region of the brain that acts as a sort of relay station for auditory and visual information. It controls what we hear.. our pupilary mechanism and etc.. google it and find out more so that you can understand..

3. http://www.biologymad.com/resources/RevisionM5Ch2.pdf check this place out.. this should answer ur questions..

okay.. this is as far as i can go for now.. hop ehtis helps
yeah it helps alot thnk u very much

Offline examsaresoon

« Reply #457 on: June 07, 2009, 05:49:04 pm »
Can some one explain the COMPLETE digestion of protein please? (from entering the stomach to leaving the body)?

I think it goes like this:

The protein enters the stomach and is broken down into poly peptides and amino acids by protease. These amino acids tarvel in the blood and go to the parts to the body they are required at. Excess Amino acids are taken to the liver where they are de-aminated and then the Nitrate part of the amino acids are taken to the kideny where they are excreted with urine.

Is this right?

Offline monnie

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #458 on: June 07, 2009, 05:49:25 pm »
Hi how is biology with all of you
i have alot of questions considering i hate this subject so here they are please answer quickly
3. can u tell me examples of continous and discontinous variations other than height and blood group?
8. what is negative and positive feedbacks, with examples please?and what is the difference between them?

i know they are alot but i realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly hate this subject and i don't get anything and the exam is tomorow

k a companion cell is located in the pholem vessel....since the pholem cell only has cytoplasm  the companion cell provides the phloem cell with with all its ncessaries  :)

effects of deforestation....soil erosion because nw the soil is not anchord.....the percentage of CO2 in creses as no plnt to take CO2 n convert it into O2...this can lead to global wrmin whi ch will lead to the rise in sea level due to the meltin of the polar caps

continuos varition is body mass n discontionus is the ability to roll ur tongue

n by the conditiond reflexes do u mean the reflex arc???
aneways reflex arc wrks like this....first when u suppose touch a hot plate the receptor will pick it up n the messege will b ppsd on by the sensory nurone ....the dendrites of the sensory neurone picks it up passe it on to the cell body n then the axon picks it up to pass it on to teh relay neurone then agn the dendrites picks it up passes to the cell body of the relay neurone n the the axon takes it away form teh cell body n passes to the motor neurone where agn the dendrites pick it up passes on to the cell body n then axon take it to the effectos eg muscel which then contercts to mov ethe hand away....(any correction is welcomed)
hope this helps..ahh i am in lub wif this ;)

thank u alot u really helped

Offline monnie

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #459 on: June 07, 2009, 05:54:01 pm »
Can some one plz answer

Offline Aodian

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #460 on: June 07, 2009, 06:05:36 pm »
wohooo. its cramming night before the exams.. i like to see it as a few more hours before the exams... haha.. Gud luck all who are cramming! for those who have prepared earlier.. damn u time management system! :P okay im not making sense.. anywho.. gudluck to all and Godbless!
Music is enough to last a lifetime, but a lifetime isnt enough for music..

ami tomake bhalobashi.. <3

Offline monnie

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #461 on: June 07, 2009, 06:10:50 pm »
 it says in the syllabus and that's a quote " discuss the use of hormones in food production"
wt is that and wt is the use of hormones in food production?
Thanks alot and whoever answers first a good answer will get a +rep
ok? Thanks
also what is meant by dormancy?
good luck to all
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 06:24:08 pm by monnie »

Offline kam

• SF Geek
  • its a real flowa too!
« Reply #462 on: June 07, 2009, 06:27:35 pm »
it says in the syllabus and that's a quote " discuss the use of hormones in food production"
ok? Thanks
good luck to all

farmers add hormones to animals to make em produce wot they want
eg adding bovine somatotropin to cows to get em to make more milk
gettit?

and can someone explain amnion and amniotic fluid
plzzz

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
« Reply #463 on: June 07, 2009, 06:29:54 pm »
ok? Thanks
good luck to all

gettit?

plzzz

Amnion is a Sac which secretes amniotic fluid
Amniotic fluid protects the Fetus n is like a shock absorber..
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline kam

• SF Geek
  • its a real flowa too!
« Reply #464 on: June 07, 2009, 06:32:35 pm »
ok? Thanks
good luck to all

gettit?

plzzz

Amnion is a Sac which secretes amniotic fluid
Amniotic fluid protects the Fetus n is like a shock absorber..
thts all we need to know right???
+rep, ur first hehe