Author Topic: ALL CIE CHEMISTRY DOUBTS HERE !!  (Read 110703 times)

Offline Deadly_king

• <<Th3 BO$$>>
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
  • Hard work ALWAYS pays off.........just be patient!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Re: ALL CIE CHEMISTRY DOUBTS HERE !!
« Reply #690 on: May 05, 2012, 12:41:16 am »
Exam in three days! Urgent help please!
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Chemistry%20(9701)/9701_w07_qp_1.pdf
Q: 30 and 21

21. C-Pb bond is a very weak bond...........So tetra methyl lead acts a source of methyl radicals ;)

30. Upon breaking the ester bonds, we can have only two possible acids formed namely CH3CH2CH2CO2H or CH3CO2H.

Hence answer is B ;)

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Chemistry%20(9701)/9701_s08_qp_1.pdf
Q:23 and 27

23. Answer is D due to high molecular weight which will prevent the hydrocarbon from rising upon water ;)

27. The formula C10H14O indicates that it should be an alcohol and the fact that it is unreactive to mild oxidising agents, it cannot be a primary one ;)

So you just have to eliminate all the answers which upon hydration would give a primary alcohol ;) This leaves us with B, C and D! But only D gives a tertiary alcohol which we all know is not affected by mild oxidising agents ;)

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Chemistry%20(9701)/9701_w08_qp_1.pdf
Q: 28

28. The reaction is one forming an ester ;) So to form an ester we usually need and alcohol and a carboxylic acid ;)

If you break the ester bond, you'll get as products CH3CO2H and CH3CH2CH(CG3)CH2OH, this is because the second carbon atom of 2methyl-butyl methanoate contains a double bond with O which indicated that it should be the acidic carbon atom ;) The rests just fits in ;)

Check the answers, if they are good, then my explanation are correct ;) IF not, then am afraid I can't help :/

AM afraid I don't currently have enough time to check the marking schemes or my notes........I just replied according to my knowledge :/

Hope it helps :)

Offline NidZ- Hero

• People say i m borderline crazy Sorta kinda :D
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • IDK what makes u such a LOSER.But it really works
« Reply #691 on: May 05, 2012, 03:16:48 pm »
can Someone please Explain me in  details the answerrs of  the Following ?
- Q3
- Q5
- Q8
- Q11
- Q26

http://www.freeexampapers.com/past_papers.php?l=Past_Papers%2FIGCSE%2FChemistry%2FCIE%2F2002+Nov/
paper 1

Offline Ghost Of Highbury

• O_o_O lala!
  • SF Farseer
  • Namaskaram!
« Reply #692 on: May 05, 2012, 08:48:48 pm »
can Someone please Explain me in  details the answerrs of  the Following ?
- Q3
- Q5
- Q8
- Q11
- Q26

http://www.freeexampapers.com/past_papers.php?l=Past_Papers%2FIGCSE%2FChemistry%2FCIE%2F2002+Nov/
paper 1

First I.E + Second I.E is same for Co and Al (757 + 1640 for Co) and (577+1820) = 2397. Use data booklet for IEs

A will have a dipole because Chlorine atoms and Fluorine atoms can be places in different carbons, and due to different electronegativities,
a net dipole remains. Same reason for C and D. The answer, C2Cl4 doesn't have a net dipole because Cl atoms have same Electronegativity and thus
net dipole cancels and is zero.

A 2 g sample of hydrogen at temperature T and of volume V exerts a pressure p. p = nrT/V = 2RT/V (moles of H2 = 2/1 = 2)
check which option gives same pressure. For e.g A gives p = nRT/V = RT/V (n = 2/2 = 1). B gives p = 4RT/V
C gives correct answer because n = 1 + 1 = 2.

2HI <-> H2 + I2
 Initially       b         0      0
Equilibrium   b-x      b/2    b/2

(b^2/4)/(1-b)^2

26. First break the double bonds, add the -OH groups and make the diols. NOw, for oxidation to ketone, 2 hydrogen atoms should be lost, one from the -OH group, one from the same carbon atom. And remember u need a diketone, so 2 ketone groups.
It isnt possible to get a diketone in A and D because you'll only get one ketone group in each. From B and C, B gives u an aldehyde after losing th 2 h-atoms, C is the answer.
divine intervention!

Offline Twinkle Charms

• Miss. Obvious ^ ^
  • SF Master
  • cRoxxEd blAcK
« Reply #693 on: May 06, 2012, 07:16:29 am »
Flask X contains 1dm3 of helium at 2kPa pressure and flask Y contains 2dm3 of Neon at 1kPa pressure.
If flasks are connected at constant temperature, what is the final pressure??

You See - You like - You try - You fail meanwhile I see - I like - I want - I get!

La Fata Illa Ali, La Saif Illa Zulfikar . (:

Offline Arthur Bon Zavi

• |Sun of Tomorrow... =]|
  • SF V.I.P
  • Fiducia in questo uomo ciecamente.
« Reply #694 on: May 06, 2012, 08:28:08 am »
Flask X contains 1dm3 of helium at 2kPa pressure and flask Y contains 2dm3 of Neon at 1kPa pressure.
If flasks are connected at constant temperature, what is the final pressure??

Total volume = 1dm3 + 2dm3 = 3dm3

PV = nRT

As temperature is constant, PV is constant, so P1V1 = P2V2

Flask X : (2)(1) = P2(3)
P2 = 2/3 kPa

Flask Y : (1)(2) = P2(3)
P2 = 2/3 kPa

Total pressure = sum of partial pressures
Total pressure = 2/3 + 2/3 = 4/3 kPa
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:13:05 am by Arthur Bon Zavi »

Continuous efforts matter more than the outcome.
- NU

Offline perky

« Reply #695 on: May 07, 2012, 09:16:51 am »
oct/nov 2009 ppr 11 q 28,29,30

• O_o_O lala!
  • SF Farseer
  • Namaskaram!
« Reply #696 on: May 08, 2012, 04:04:27 am »
oct/nov 2009 ppr 11 q 28,29,30

27 : 2,4 DNPH reacts with aldehydes and ketones. This molecule has a ketone group, so it will react.

HBr will get added to the C=C

NaBH4 will reduce the C=O group.

Fehling's reagent only reacts with aldehydes, no -CHO group so no reaction.

28 : This one's easy. Start with the general aldehyde molecule R-CHO. The carbon being partially positive, gets attacked by the nucleophile
-CH2CO2CH3. So the final product is R-CH(OH)CH2CO2CH3. Now R can be any alkyl group, the answer is C, where R is the ethyl group (CH3CH2)

29. B. Nucleophilic substitution. CN- ions replace Br. CN gets hydrolysed to COOH. Do these for B and u get the required product.
divine intervention!

Offline raamishstudent

« Reply #697 on: May 08, 2012, 06:07:19 am »
Hey guys just need some1 to clear some doubts of mine.

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Chemistry%20(9701)/9701_w05_qp_1.pdf

Qs 31 How to do it?
Qs 34) WHy is C not the answer
Qs 20) MY isomers are becoming 4 but the answer is 3.
Qs 5) How to do it?

Please help the exam is tommorrow

Offline NidZ- Hero

• SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #698 on: May 08, 2012, 02:32:55 pm »
First I.E + Second I.E is same for Co and Al (757 + 1640 for Co) and (577+1820) = 2397. Use data booklet for IEs

A will have a dipole because Chlorine atoms and Fluorine atoms can be places in different carbons, and due to different electronegativities,
a net dipole remains. Same reason for C and D. The answer, C2Cl4 doesn't have a net dipole because Cl atoms have same Electronegativity and thus
net dipole cancels and is zero.

A 2 g sample of hydrogen at temperature T and of volume V exerts a pressure p. p = nrT/V = 2RT/V (moles of H2 = 2/1 = 2)
check which option gives same pressure. For e.g A gives p = nRT/V = RT/V (n = 2/2 = 1). B gives p = 4RT/V
C gives correct answer because n = 1 + 1 = 2.

2HI <-> H2 + I2
 Initially       b         0      0
Equilibrium   b-x      b/2    b/2

(b^2/4)/(1-b)^2

26. First break the double bonds, add the -OH groups and make the diols. NOw, for oxidation to ketone, 2 hydrogen atoms should be lost, one from the -OH group, one from the same carbon atom. And remember u need a diketone, so 2 ketone groups.
It isnt possible to get a diketone in A and D because you'll only get one ketone group in each. From B and C, B gives u an aldehyde after losing th 2 h-atoms, C is the answer.

Thankkkks Alllot

• O_o_O lala!
  • SF Farseer
  • Namaskaram!
« Reply #699 on: May 08, 2012, 03:01:09 pm »
Hey guys just need some1 to clear some doubts of mine.

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Chemistry%20(9701)/9701_w05_qp_1.pdf

Qs 31 How to do it?
Qs 34) WHy is C not the answer
Qs 20) MY isomers are becoming 4 but the answer is 3.
Qs 5) How to do it?

Please help the exam is tommorrow

Q31) The relative molecular mass is the average of all the isotopic mass. So some atoms might have different number of neutrons, hence different nucleon number. The different number of neutrons won't affect the radius. So 1 is correct, 2 is wrong, hence D.

34) 1 is correct, because H+ reacts with OH- ions of the first equilibrium and equilibrium moves to the right. So number of hydroxyapatite molecules decrease. 2 is correct because H+ will react with the PO4(3-) ions and decrease its concentration again moving the equilibrium to the right. 3 is not correct, because Calicium ions won't react with the acid. I'm not sure about the explanation to that, if someone could throw some light on that, it'd be great.

20) 1,1 dichloro ethene. cis 1,2 dichloro ethene and trans 1,2 dichloro ethene. 3 isomers.

5) He and Nitrogen will only have VDW's forces between them, so they can behave like an ideal gas compared to the others. HCl will have VDW's forces stronger than that in CH4 because more number of electrons. It will also have hydrogen bonding, so that's the answer.
divine intervention!

Offline NidZ- Hero

• SF Senior Citizen

• O_o_O lala!
  • SF Farseer
  • Namaskaram!
« Reply #701 on: May 08, 2012, 08:00:02 pm »
This isn't a 'couple of doubts', it's almost half a paper :P

I have to sleep in a bit, so i'll do w06 questions very quickly. Hope someone can help u with the other 5

4) Construct balanced equations of the combustion. Find out how much volume of O2 hasn't reacted or is in excess. Find out the volume of CO2 given off using mole concept, add 'em up. Do this for all the alkanes.

5) B, sideways overlap. Weak bond. The rest are head to head

6) Ammonia has a lot of different types of bonding between the molecules, hence it deviates the most from the ideal gas. H2 is the closest to an ideal gas, hence straight line. D

9) Use this hess's cycle.

H2 + CO + 0.5O2 ---(-283)---> CO2 + H2
               \                        /
                \(-286+44)        /
                 \                   /
                  V                V
                   CO + H2O(g)

11)   acid     alchol        ester        water
         1          1             0              0
       1-x       1-x           x                x

(x^2)/(1-x)^2 = 4
Solve for x

14) Calcium nitrate -> calcium oxide + NO2 + O2
Balance, convert to moles, find out the mass of CaO remaining.

23) B - Different groups attached to each Carbon will produce the cis trans.

27) B - Tertiary alchol, so doesn't get oxidized. No reaction. Forms ONa and gives H2 gas.

37) This is a tough one. Can't draw now, but i'll tell u what to do. break the double bonds and put O atoms to each carbon broken from the double bond. See if the 2 products contain a ketone group. One gives an aldehyde group if i'm not wrong. try it

Good luck, I hope you do great tomorrow :)

Night
divine intervention!

Offline perky

« Reply #702 on: May 09, 2012, 03:50:16 pm »
guyyyyyyyssss any guess for ppr31 practical ?

Offline whale95

« Reply #703 on: November 17, 2012, 05:23:06 pm »
Are hydrocarbons are all incombustibles? and explain :) Thanks you

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #704 on: November 20, 2012, 01:48:52 pm »
hydrocarbons incombustibles? Tell my car