Author Topic: Is banning Facebook the solution?  (Read 7213 times)

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
Is banning Facebook the solution?
« on: June 19, 2010, 04:05:23 pm »
Recently, the Pakistani government banned the social networking website Facebook because of some cartoons about Prophet Mohammad (PBUH).

Is the Pakistani government right to take such a drastic action in this and other similar circumstance?

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
Re: Is banning Facebook the solution?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 04:06:11 pm »
I highly appreciate the model of FB. It allows you to express yourself. But I personally think the Pakistani government is not right in outrightly banning FB. The cartoons about Muhammad (PBUH) were probably devised by some racist group, not by facebook itself. FB is just a platform to socialize and express your views, nothing more. And it is normal that different people will have different views about something. Why punish the whole website just for a few unscrupulous people who creates such racist groups...? Look at the good side! Friends and colleagues are able to socialize through it from great distances. Business is so easier.

And yes, there is a function to report such hate groups, but its practically impossible for FB employees to remove ALL hate groups. Even "hate groups" are a way to express yourself - a means of freedom of speech. If hate groups are removed, more will be created. And more and more. Practically impossible, and will undermine the ultimate purpose of facebook itself.

elemis

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 04:08:13 pm »
Do you see Israel or Italy (a staunch Roman Catholic country) blocking FB because of hate groups with regards to Jews and Jesus respectively ?

No, you dont. They simply ignore it, banning FB only draws attention and gives those people that own these hate groups the gratification they desire.

Freaked12

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 04:31:38 pm »
Do you see Israel or Italy (a staunch Roman Catholic country) blocking FB because of hate groups with regards to Jews and Jesus respectively ?

No, you dont. They simply ignore it, banning FB only draws attention and gives those people that own these hate groups the gratification they desire.

I hope You do not mean that pages that are accused of slightest bit of antisemitism are allowed to stay on facebook for more th*n a day?

This is HYPOCRISY OF THE HIGHEST ORDER that when i went on to create a page that was dedicated to Adolf Hitler just to piss off those guys who were drawing the pictures of my Beloved prophet,i was BANNED within hours.
 You have also read the complaints section of facebook ?
It states and i repeat *Do you wish to ban this page because it smacks of racism and taunts a group of people*

We ARE SIMPLY DOING WHAT FACEBOOK WROTE ON ITS GUIDELINES

elemis

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 04:40:24 pm »
@Arsenal  The reporting of web sites on FB is dependent on the USERS of FB.

Do you think FB really wants stuff like that on their site; which could affect its viewership and ad revenue ?

Dont be silly man, everyone in this world ISNT AGAINST ISLAM !!!!

i went on to create a page that was dedicated to Adolf Hitler just to piss off those guys who were drawing the pictures of my Beloved prophet,i was BANNED within hours.

It is this attitude that gets you a bad name. Instead of trying to provoke them, why didnt you send FB a letter explaining your unhappiness at those cartoons ?

Did you achieve ANYTHING by posting that Page ?

THINK before you act and dont get all self-righteous with me.

Alpha

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 04:42:02 pm »
If Facebook is banned, then the press should be too.

Freaked12

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 04:43:55 pm »
@Arsenal  The reporting of web sites on FB is dependent on the USERS of FB.

Do you think FB really wants stuff like that on their site; which could affect its viewership and ad revenue ?

Dont be silly man, everyone in this world ISNT AGAINST ISLAM !!!!

It is this attitude that gets you a bad name. Instead of trying to provoke them, why didnt you send FB a letter explaining your unhappiness at those cartoons ?

Did you achieve ANYTHING by posting that Page ?

THINK before you act and dont get all self-righteous with me.

and facebook received 1.8 Million complaints for allowing that page.-_-

what do you mean i achieved anything by posting,i wasn't looking to achieve anything. i was merely practicing my freedom of speech which was being so cruelly taken advantage of.

Offline Ukhti-R

• Striving for Jannah
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 04:44:42 pm »
If Facebook is banned, then the press should be too.

ahahahahahah. Trueeee. :P
"...And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him." [65: 2-3]

elemis

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 04:46:38 pm »
and facebook received 1.8 Million complaints for allowing that page.-_-

what do you mean i achieved anything by posting,i wasn't looking to achieve anything. i was merely practicing my freedom of speech which was being so cruelly taken advantage of.

Freedom of speech can at times be unethical - you slandered the names of the millions that died under that bastard Hitler's rule.

Lets see if that affects your conscience.

Alpha

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 04:47:13 pm »
ahahahahahah. Trueeee. :P

Well yeah. Where is 'freedom' of expression else?

Alpha

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 04:48:47 pm »

If now you take away freedom of speech, then WHAT remains for us?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 04:58:21 pm by ~Alpha »

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 04:51:14 pm »
I hope You do not mean that pages that are accused of slightest bit of antisemitism are allowed to stay on facebook for more th*n a day?

This is HYPOCRISY OF THE HIGHEST ORDER that when i went on to create a page that was dedicated to Adolf Hitler just to piss off those guys who were drawing the pictures of my Beloved prophet,i was BANNED within hours.
 You have also read the complaints section of facebook ?
It states and i repeat *Do you wish to ban this page because it smacks of racism and taunts a group of people*

We ARE SIMPLY DOING WHAT FACEBOOK WROTE ON ITS GUIDELINES

Man, in FB, there are THOUSANDS of groups like that. What is more, there are millions of fan supporting those sites.

Just look at this. This group is protesting against Israel. There are 18 people supporting it. It doesn't get banned. I'm sure the israelis reading this group must've reported it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ISRAEL-IS-VERY-BAD-RELIGION/124243214273095?ref=search

There are THOUSANDS of religious groups, just as there are thousands of anti-religious groups. This is just freedom of speech. And someone must've reported the page you created and it must've got attention of a moderator of FB.

elemis

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 04:53:34 pm »
If now you take away freedom of speech, then WHAT remains for us?

I NEVER said that one's speech should be controlled - I stated that YOU, the person who says things, should practice more caution in what you say.

Alpha

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 04:55:39 pm »
Man, in FB, there are THOUSANDS of groups like that. What is more, there are millions of fan supporting those sites.

Just look at this. This group is protesting against Israel. There are 18 people supporting it. It doesn't get banned. I'm sure the israelis reading this group must've reported it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ISRAEL-IS-VERY-BAD-RELIGION/124243214273095?ref=search

There are THOUSANDS of religious groups, just as there are thousands of anti-religious groups. This is just freedom of speech. And someone must've reported the page you created and it must've got attention of a moderator of FB.

Hey, the road is also a 'free' place. We cannot prevent people from manifesting from there. So, well, let's ban all the roads.

Come on, Facebook is a road too, where the laymen voices out his opinion. Where's the problem if it's virtual?

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 04:57:32 pm »
Hey, the road is also a 'free' place. We cannot prevent people from manifesting from there. So, well, let's ban all the roads.

Come on, Facebook is a road too, where the laymen voices out his opinion. Where's the problem if it's virtual?

I'm not advocating that FB should be banned.  Wrong supposition! :P