Author Topic: Taxes and Charity?! WHAT's THE DIFFERENCE?!!!  (Read 10363 times)

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
Taxes and Charity?! WHAT's THE DIFFERENCE?!!!
« on: May 29, 2010, 08:45:01 am »
Income and corporation taxes... and charity..

People give long 'virtuous' lectures about charity, but I believe, if a business provides corporation tax and does not try to evade it, the owners or the shareholders are automatically giving charity (and more than necessary of it). We don't need any further provision for charity, be it for religious reasons or not. But it may be done for gaining publicity, if seen fit.

The minimum charity in Islam is only about 2.5% to 3% of net worth, whereas the rate of income and corporation tax is well above 10% in all countries. Other religions are likely to have similar figures. Therefore, the requirement of any religion is automatically fullfilled, given people and businesses don't try to evade taxes.

The income and corporation taxes are used by the governments in many ways, which mostly supports the poor (eg. roads and bridges in rural areas, subsidies to loss making businesses which provides employment to the poor, in some countries, unemployment benefits etc. etc. etc. ). So, its similar to helping the poor with charity.

Any problem with my assumption?

You may passively discuss religion because this topic is closely related, but try not to insult any religion.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:49:40 am by $tyli$h Executive »

nid404

Re: Taxes and Charity?! WHAT's THE DIFFERENCE?!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 08:54:47 am »
I don't like to discuss religion.

1) My Mom has worked for the tax dept for 20 good(rather bad) years.
2) There is no company that sincerely pays taxes
3)Charity is done out of good will...it's not a compulsion. If someone does it because religion says so and not out of your own will, then it's not charity, it's something you do out of fear, fear of God.
4) The Government does not always(most of the times) allocate resources well.
5) Taxes are Politician's assets...It's a fact.

Summary: Taxes not equal to Charity  No way.

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:04:55 am »
I agree, no businesses pays taxes sincerely (evaded through accounting loopholes, usually), but the rate is definitely high. Most businesses who avoid it have to pay some, at least some.  And that surely compensates the amount required for charity.

Its very difficult for employees of corporations to evade taxes.

Taxes could be given out of good will too. Like, "its my country, my people, and I pay taxes for the betterment of them.". The government could achieve it through a good publicity.

Its the government's own headache whether he uses his tax revenues in a good way or not. Like I pay a poor man as a charity. But he forgets to pick up the money when he leaves and loses it as a result. Its definitely not my fault.

nid404

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 09:09:15 am »
It's not your fault. It's the Government. If you fail to plan.You plan to fail. This is the state of most developing countries. We all pay taxes for the betterment of the country? You think so. Maybe a few. A few sincere ones like us. The big ones know how to evade taxes, the poor don't. End result...The rich grows richer, the poor becomes poorer. It's a sad case-Government/Politics

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 09:22:59 am »
It's not your fault. It's the Government. If you fail to plan.You plan to fail. This is the state of most developing countries. We all pay taxes for the betterment of the country? You think so. Maybe a few. A few sincere ones like us. The big ones know how to evade taxes, the poor don't. End result...The rich grows richer, the poor becomes poorer. It's a sad case-Government/Politics

Frankly speaking, we dislike paying taxes. And for that, we evade a good amount of taxes too. Its the truth. :-X

But looking further into WHY do we dislike paying taxes, I can see its because of the government's inability to plan things effectively, and the corruption of the many officials.

nid404

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 10:11:34 am »
Frankly speaking, we dislike paying taxes. And for that, we evade a good amount of taxes too. Its the truth. :-X

But looking further into WHY do we dislike paying taxes, I can see its because of the government's inability to plan things effectively, and the corruption of the many officials.

Agreed.

Alpha

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 02:08:32 pm »
Charity is giving away what you need, not what you have to.

holtadit

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 02:15:31 pm »
Charity is giving away what you need, not what you have to.

I NEED money. We all do. So does taxation qualify as charity ? I am giving it away under the ASSUMPTION it will be used to benefit my fellow man.

In a country like India where resources are not allocated properly (If I were tax payer) I'd keep my money for myself.

Why ? Because I know (this isnt an assumption) that the Indian Government is built on bureaucracy and stupidity.

Our political system sucks big time. In India you can be elected minister if you are a good actor and can fire speeches at a crowd of expectant poor people - they will support you because at least you give them hope.

This is the state of our affairs - this is the same country predicted to become a Superpower and the same nation with a booming GDP.

We can't even get heavy machinery to a railway crash in time to save people in time. So where did all the money go ?  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 02:19:39 pm by Ari Ben Canaan »

Alpha

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 02:17:57 pm »
I NEED money. We all do. So does taxation qualify as charity ? I am giving it away under the ASSUMPTION it will be used to benefit my fellow man.

In a country like India where resources are not allocated properly (If I were tax payer) I'd keep my money for myself.

Why ? Because I know (this isnt an assumption) that the Indian Government is built on bureaucracy and stupidity.

Our political system sucks big time. In India you can be elected minister if you are a good actor and can fire speeches at a crowd of expectant poor people - they will support you because at least you give them hope.

This is the state of our affairs - this is the same country predicted to become a Superpower and the same nation with a booming GDP.

We can even get heavy machinery to a railway crash in time to save people in time. So where did all the money go ?   

I like it when you follow me.  :P :P

holtadit

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 02:20:36 pm »

I edited my post (in red).

Did you even read what I said ? :P

nid404

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 02:21:26 pm »

Ouch!

Alpha

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 02:22:17 pm »
I edited my post (in red).

Did you even read what I said ? :P

Nah, I'm just too tired already.  :)

I will read... Later.  ;)

holtadit

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 02:22:34 pm »
Ouch!

I dont get it ? Was she insulting me ? :P

Alpha

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 02:23:25 pm »
Ouch!

It's good, I see more people participating actively in debates these days. MUCH better than this section was before.  ;)

nid404

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 02:23:59 pm »
It's good, I see more people participating actively in debates these days. MUCH better than this section was before.  ;)
;)