Author Topic: C1 and C2 DOUBTS HERE!!!!!  (Read 87247 times)

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
Re: C1 and C2 DOUBTS HERE!!!!!
« Reply #660 on: February 26, 2012, 05:28:21 pm »
SZM's pyramid question
Sir astarmathand physics,

I have come across some difficulty to solver the sums under Core Mathematics 2 under Differentiation.

The question is -

1. A square-based pyramid has slanting edges of length 6cm. The volume of such a pyramid is 1/3 xsquare h, where x is the length of the side of the base and h is the height. Show that this volume may be written in the form 24h-2/3h to the power of 3 (24h-2/3hcube). Prove that the greatest volume will occur when h= 2squareroot 3cm.

Please solve this sums in step by steps.. Please include ur working to get the formula and to prove// Pls. DONT JUST GIVE THE ANSWER ONLY///

Pls include ur working along with diagram or what and what variable are u using to make me to understand much better.

Pls do it that urgenlty.

Thanx inadvance.

Offline SZM

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #661 on: February 26, 2012, 05:56:05 pm »
Sir astarmathandphysics, thanx for spending ur time to solve my sums/// Sir I have another few more sums, where I found difficult to solve.

The questions are-

1. A rectangular garden is fenced on three sides, and the house forms the fourth side of the rectangle. Given that the total length of the fence is 80m show that the area A, of the garden is given by the formula A= y(80-2y), where y is the distance from the house to the end of the garden. Given that the area is a maximum for this length of fence, find the dimensions of the enclosed garden, and the area which is enclosed.

Sir please do not solve this sums in a rush. If u have to solve this sum in a rush, please make sure that ur working shuld be nealty and clear, I dont like to see the sums,where u r scribbling here and there. Pls do it nealty and clear.

Sir just because the question is asked to show the formula, please i want u to write ur working on how to show this formula. the best thing is if u draw the diagram again and label it and then write in details. Only then I wil be able to understand and also can solve others sums as well. Please even in diagram draw it neatly. If ur work is nealty, I wil get more attracted to it and every working wil grasp into my mind. SO do that Sir please.

Hope this sums u r going to be more clearful , as I am expecting from u.

need ur reply asap. I wil post another few sums more in another post.

Offline SZM

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #662 on: February 26, 2012, 06:40:41 pm »
the next sums are given below-

1. A closed cylinder has total surface area equals to 600pi. Show that the volume , V cmcube, of this cylinder is given by the formula V= 300pi r- pi rcube, where r cm is the radius of the cylinder. Find the maximum volume of such a cylinder.

2. A sector of a circle has area 100cmsquare. Show that the perimeter of this sector is given by the formula
P=2r + 200/r ,  r> squareroot 100/pi. The radius of the sector is r cm.
Find the minimum value for the perimeter of such a sector.

3. A shape consists of a rectangular base with a semicircular top, as shown. Given that the perimeter of the shape is 40cm, show that its area, A cmsquare, is given by the formula  A= 40r- 2rsquare- pi rsquare/2    where r cm is the radius of the semicircle. Find the maximum value for this area.

4. The shape shown is a wire frame in the form of a large rectangle split by parallel lengths of wire into 12 smaller equal-sized rectangles. Each smaller rectangle, the length is y mm and the width of that smaller rectangle is x mm.  Given that the total length of wire used to complete the whole frame is 1512mm, show that the area of the whole shape is Ammsquare, where A = 1296x - 108xsquare/7.  Find the maximum area which can be closed in this way.

5. The fixed point A has coordinates ( 8, -6, 5) and the variable point P has coordinate ( t, t, 2t).
 a.) Show that APsquare= 6tsquare - 24t - 125.
 b.) hence find the value of t for which the distance AP is least.
 c.) Determine this least distance.

6. A wire is bent into the plane shape ABCDEA. Shape ABDE is a rectangle and BCD is a semicircle with diameter BD.  The area of the region enclosed by the wire is R msquare, AE= x metres, AB= ED= y metres.The total length of the wire is 2 m.
 a.) Find an expression for y in terms of x.
 b.) Prove that R = x/8 (8 - 4x - pix)
Given that x can vary, using calculus and showing your working,
 c.) find the maximum value of R. ( you do not have to prove that the value you obtain is a maximum)

7. A cylindrical biscuit tin has a close-fitting lid which overlaps the tin by 1cm. The radii of the tin and the lid are both x cm. The tin and the lid are made from a thin sheet of metal of area 80pi cmsquare and there is no wastage. The volume of the tin is V cmcube.
 a.) Show that V = pi ( 40x - xsquare - xcube).
Given that x can vary:
 b.) Use differentiation to find the positive value of x for which V is stationary
 c.) Prove that this value of x gives a maximum value of V.
 d.) Find this maximum value of V.
 e.) Determine the percentage of the sheet metal used in the lid when V is a maximum.

8. The part of the curve with equation y= 5- 1/2xsquare for which y> 0. The point P (x,y) lies on the curve and 0 is the origin.
 a.) Show that OPsquare = 1/4xsquare - 4xsquare + 25.
Taking f(x)= 1/4xto the power of 4 - 4xsquare + 25.
 b.) Find the values of x for which dy/dx = 0.
 c.) hence , or otherwise, find the minimum distance from 0 to the curve, showing that your answer is a minimum.

9. The part of the curve with equation y= 3 + 5x + xsquare + xcube. The curve touches the x-axis at C. The points A and B are stationary points on the curve.
 a. ) Show that C has coordinates (3, 0)
 b. ) Using calculus and showing all your working, find the coordinates of A and B.

10. An open tank for storing water, ABCDEF. The sides ABFE and CDEF are rectangles. The triangular ends ADE and BCF are isosceles, and angle at AED is equal to angle at BFC which is 90 degree. The ends ADE and BCF are vertical and EF is horizontal.

Given that AD= x metres:
a.) Show that the area of triangle ADE is 1/4xsquare msquare.

Given also that the capacity of the container is 4000 mcube and that the total area of the two triangular and two rectangular sides of the container is S msquare.
b.) Show that S = xsquare/2 + 16000squareroot 2 / x

Given that x can vary:

c.) Use calculus to find the minimum value of S.
d.) Justify that the value of S you have found is a minimum.

There are 10 sums above and sir please each and every sum, I am expecting from u to show ur working nealty and in details and very clearful as well along with neatly diagrams.. Pls Pls Pls Pls.

Sir why these sums are said to be a toughest and difficult part than others?? is there any tips that I have to learn or know ?? do u have any tricky tips which helps to overcome the difficulties of the sums with different situation?? Sir those types of questions,the most difficult part is how to form a formula that they are given. I know there is a diagram// But using the diagram I have to make a formula, but to make a formula with different variables/terms, i found difficult// I dont understand in some formula why they put minus and plus within a formula and how it  becomes minus and plus?????????? Pls i need ur best solution to this matter

i need ur reply asap.

thanx in advance

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #663 on: February 26, 2012, 06:56:14 pm »
SZM I will print this page and write up the answers in bed in morning

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #664 on: February 26, 2012, 07:02:42 pm »
Sorry SZM here are p1 and p2

Offline SZM

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #665 on: February 26, 2012, 07:23:18 pm »
Sorry SZM here are p1 and p2

Sir you dont have to say sorry for me. I am just telling for our benefits, otherwise it wil be a waste for me, when I dont understand ur working at all as well as for u the amount of time u spent to solve my sums. There shuld be benefit. right???

I am thanking u as u have done with what I have asked u to do. The steps and the diagram on how to get the formula. Same things please do the rest of the 11 sums as I have mentioned .. I want all 11 sums with workings n answers as well by 2day if possible. Please Please again I am telling u , I dont want u to scribble, here and there as it looks ugly. Pls make ur working neatly and clear with different colours not one colour inorder to get more attractive... Please leave one gap and then write the next gap, sothat I can read and understand til I get the point. If u write inbetween, I cant understand and read as well.

Hope I wil get nealty work from u the rest of the sums,as I am expecting it.

need ur reply asap.

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #666 on: February 26, 2012, 08:30:51 pm »
Ok szm

Offline SZM

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #667 on: February 27, 2012, 07:49:57 am »
Ok szm

Sir astarmathandphysics, where are ur answers for the rest of the 11 sums i have mentioned?? when will u give ur answer???

I am luking for the answers as well as each and every working on how did u approach to an answer// where are ur answers??

Need ur reply urgentlyy.

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #668 on: February 27, 2012, 09:24:08 am »
Your first 8 questions.
Will make videos to answer the rest today and post them on theeducationchannel.info

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #669 on: February 27, 2012, 09:35:20 am »
q9 is wrong Please check it.

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #670 on: February 27, 2012, 10:59:58 am »
just made two lovely c1 videos. Will take some hours to upload.
http://theeducationchannel.info/videos/14/A-Level-Maths-C1/most_recent/all_time/

Offline SZM

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #671 on: February 27, 2012, 12:55:59 pm »
just made two lovely c1 videos. Will take some hours to upload.
http://theeducationchannel.info/videos/14/A-Level-Maths-C1/most_recent/all_time/

Sir the link u mentioned here is not working , as it says internal server error// I have no idea why??

Sir thanx alot for spending ur time to solve my sums. May God Bless u.

Sir u want diagram for question 3 and 4??

But I dont know where can I draw diagram and post here??

Sir what about quesiton no. 8.) , 9.) and 10.)???

waitin for ur reply//

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #672 on: February 27, 2012, 01:45:42 pm »
try again
it is working now but I have not uploaded the video yet.
It is in a queue.

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #673 on: February 27, 2012, 01:47:49 pm »
Q9 is is wrong though. Please repost it.
I will look at 3 and 4 and see if I can do without the diagram

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #674 on: February 27, 2012, 02:00:00 pm »
q3 for SZM
For q4 I really need a diagram. In the question it says there is one.