Author Topic: Are beauty contests harmful?  (Read 4816 times)

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
Are beauty contests harmful?
« on: April 14, 2010, 05:38:49 am »
Beauty contests are popular in many parts of the world. The biggest, the Miss World competition, has been running annually since 1951, and although it is less popular in the UK now than it was in 1968, when it attracted 27.5 million TV viewers, it attracts an enormous worldwide audience - around 3 billion viewers in 115 countries. There are beauty contests for various categories of age and sex.

This topic focuses on adult women’s beauty contests as these the most popular and high-profile version.

I don't think they're harmful.

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
Re: Are beauty contests harmful?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:48:49 am »
Winners rarely go on to lead good lives.

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 08:00:36 am »
Its entirely the participants choice that she will participate in the competition. She is not being forced in any way.

Beauty competition benefits the country. It enables fashion designing firms to grow faster. It initiates a desire in young girls to look prettier and more beautiful. This in turn, benefits the country as cosmetics and beauty products sell much more and experience a cyclic demand. If there were no beauty competition, beauty and cosmetic product wouldn't have had such high demand by girls. This high demand creates employment and highers the GDP.

Offline Karan

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:23:47 am »
The main problem with beauty contests is that they really promote low self esteem, especially among younger people - girls in particular... many teenagers try to emulate these models, and this is harmful in many cases. I keep reading about young models and young girls collapsing and suffering major health problems like anorexia due to excessive dieting and other such things that they do to try and look more like the fashion models they see on television and in magazines, which is really quite an unrealistic goal in most cases. Modern society has transformed the conception of beauty in such a way that many people feel that they aren't good enough... Beauty Shows themselves may be harmless, but the wide-scale misconception that you have to look like a fashion model to be considered very attractive is quite damaging. The alarming level of superficiality that we see all around us, especially among the younger people nowadays is irritating to say the least...

And like astarmathsandphysics said... models usually don't do well for long. They normally have a "shelf-life" of about 5-10 years before they become "too old". And that's exactly how the fashion industry looks at it.
The desire for knowledge, like the thirst for riches, increases ever with the acquisition of it.

nid404

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:29:35 am »
It's a platform to showcase what u got....it's good.
Lot of winners make a good name for themselves...Aishwarya Rai's wax figure is in Madam Tussauds ::)

I agree with what Karan n sir had to say too in a way.....some of them cannot handle the fame well...well it doesn't apply to all of them....
It's  mundanely thought that ppl who enter the glamorous life cannot last long...but there are many examples which contradict this idea
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:32:10 am by nid404 »

Offline Karan

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 08:43:38 am »
It's a platform to showcase what u got....it's good.
Lot of winners make a good name for themselves...Aishwarya Rai's wax figure is in Madam Tussauds ::)

I agree with what Karan n sir had to say too in a way.....some of them cannot handle the fame well...well it doesn't apply to all of them....
It's  mundanely thought that ppl who enter the glamorous life cannot last long...but there are many examples which contradict this idea

Well... for me the bigger problem is the impact that things like this are having on society... I think fashion shows by themselves are harmless and it's the model's choice really, if she wants to take a gamble and pursue is as a career. Many models do well... but many models make very bad choices which endanger their health and images as well... I recently read about a model who died on stage at a fashion show... she had been trying to lose weight by refusing to eat almost anything for weeks... she collapsed out of exhaustion and died soon after. There is too much of an emphasis in the fashion industry (and modern society in general) on how thin you are, how perfectly your body is shaped and things like that. While I agree that no one wants to see obese people walking down the catwalk, it concerns me that people think that they need to be that way alone to look good.
The desire for knowledge, like the thirst for riches, increases ever with the acquisition of it.

nid404

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 08:45:36 am »
Yes. Point taken but that lies completely upon the individual...the whole industry cannot be blamed

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 09:03:10 am »
Girls who try to emulate models are beneficial for the country. It creates business opportunities.

nid404

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 09:04:06 am »
Girls who try to emulate models are beneficial for the country. It creates business opportunities.

lol borakk...ur soo...hmm...profit minded?! :-X :P

Offline Karan

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 09:18:26 am »

Lol... By that logic, more people should smoke, drink alcohol and eat fast food because it promotes the alcohol, tobacco and fast food industries... I know it's a completely different situation, but the same logic applies.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to the economy and society if more people tried to emulate doctors, scientists, artists and businesspeople?

nid404

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 10:00:52 am »
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to the economy and society if more people tried to emulate doctors, scientists, artists and businesspeople?

Yes completely

Offline Angel Of Love

• SF Farseer
  • loev <3 :D
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 08:39:23 am »
Still there is no harm in such beauty contests it's all on the participants as nid said that they aren't forced and not all can handle their fame lke shushmita sen she did not work as a good actor though she was Miss Universe and now her films too don't work well.
Actually i went a bit off topic by films but that is too something which most of the girls aim. If anyone wants to enter the film industry the firat thing which will come to their mind is of modeling or beauty contests. This is just a way thwy wanna achieve their goal.
So what's the harm in that.
I do not agree that beauty contests are harmful they are a kinda stage for some people's future.

Offline Karan

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 01:46:08 pm »
Still there is no harm in such beauty contests it's all on the participants as nid said that they aren't forced and not all can handle their fame lke shushmita sen she did not work as a good actor though she was Miss Universe and now her films too don't work well.
Actually i went a bit off topic by films but that is too something which most of the girls aim. If anyone wants to enter the film industry the firat thing which will come to their mind is of modeling or beauty contests. This is just a way thwy wanna achieve their goal.
So what's the harm in that.
I do not agree that beauty contests are harmful they are a kinda stage for some people's future.

Fair enough... it's a person's own choice, and some people become very successful as well... I agree that it does give some people good opportunities, which they might prefer to other career paths.

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 04:39:06 pm »

No. That would destroy a major section of the entertainment industry. The entertainment industry is important, as far as people's wants and needs are concerned. People like to watch movies and other stuffs, just as they want to build houses and other more 'important' stuffs. Therefore, if people tried to emulate only those, there will be no or few entertainers and people's wants will remain unsatisfied. A business opportunity will be lost.

Everything should be balanced.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:46:06 pm by $tyli$h Executive »

holtadit

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 04:48:45 pm »
No. That would destroy a major section of the entertainment industry. The entertainment industry is important, as far as people's wants and needs are concerned. People like to watch movies and other stuffs, just as they want to build houses and other more 'important' stuffs. Therefore, if people tried to emulate only those, there will be no or few entertainers and people's wants will remain unsatisfied. A business opportunity will be lost.

Everything should be balanced.

I like a person who has a head for finance. How about we setup an off shore company as a front to launder cash and provide this 'income' to astar to expand our clandestine operations with respect to retrieval of exam papers from certain moron organisations.

If you get my drift ;D