Author Topic: Reputation Power  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
Reputation Power
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:10:47 pm »
I have noticed something very alarming in the Forum: reputation.

There seems to be an overwhelming amount of Reputation on member's profiles. Mostly, having such high reputation comes from posting in Chit-Chat. You see, in most other forums reputation is a resource that is actually valued, it is currency and most importantly testifies the validity of a response. Go to any successful forum, and you will see that the post count is disabled in the Chat or Gossip section, because people post one or two word answers.

I am simply a member in this forum, and I know this is for the higher ups to decide, but I need to tell you all that you need the reputation to be sorted. You guys also need to promote more members to become active members. Not every good member needs to be made a moderator. There should be many more incentives.

Also, consider having a donate button. I am sure there are plenty of people that are grateful for the services that the forum provides and this will be happy to donate.

Also, to the administration team: use www.safelinking.com to protect the links on your web-pages, especially the Mediafire Links. This will at least add a few more years to the files that are not downloaded that frequently, and many more months to the ones that are.

Kind Regards,
Saladin.

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
Re: Reputation Power
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:17:43 pm »
Go to any successful forum, and you will see that the post count is disabled in the Chat or Gossip section, because people post one or two word answers

We did consider this lately and as it happened we created a new child-board in chit-chat section with post count off. It includes all the threads which are more like games with two or more words as a post.

We kept the other threads which are more discussion based in the chit-chat as it is.

The safe-linking idea is good, we do need something like that ::)

This is all i can say for now.

Thank you.
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline DrEvil

• The Gifted One!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Love all, trust a few!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:08:43 am »

There seems to be an overwhelming amount of Reputation on member's profiles. Mostly, having such high reputation comes from posting in Chit-Chat. You see, in most other forums reputation is a resource that is actually valued, it is currency and most importantly testifies the validity of a response. Go to any successful forum, and you will see that the post count is disabled in the Chat or Gossip section, because people post one or two word answers.

I am simply a member in this forum, and I know this is for the higher ups to decide, but I need to tell you all that you need the reputation to be sorted. You guys also need to promote more members to become active members. Not every good member needs to be made a moderator. There should be many more incentives.

Also, consider having a donate button. I am sure there are plenty of people that are grateful for the services that the forum provides and this will be happy to donate.

Also, to the administration team: use www.safelinking.com to protect the links on your web-pages, especially the Mediafire Links. This will at least add a few more years to the files that are not downloaded that frequently, and many more months to the ones that are.

Kind Regards,
Saladin.

Finally great to see your post! :D
I like the donate and safe-linking ideas. :)
As far the reputation is concerned, I think when the forum will be upgraded then that problem might be corrected too... :)

“When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.”

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 06:46:09 am »

There seems to be an overwhelming amount of Reputation on member's profiles. Mostly, having such high reputation comes from posting in Chit-Chat. You see, in most other forums reputation is a resource that is actually valued, it is currency and most importantly testifies the validity of a response.

Reps are not due to posting in chit chat. It is genuine reputation, awarded by others.

Go to any successful forum, and you will see that the post count is disabled in the Chat or Gossip section, because people post one or two word answers.

We've moved all the topics which are prone to spamming to the Games section of the chit chat, where the post count is disabled.

Great idea, will discuss it. I've noticed many mediafire links to be dead in the forum.

Donate, I like it of course, but we'll have to talk to astar about it since he can arrange for a paypal account. Also, I think the donate feature would be more useful if provided  on FEP instead of SF.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:55:15 am by Lone$tar »

Offline NotAbod

• Wikipedia Contributor
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:45:22 am »
Donating is a good idea ;D
but the safe linking, the website is blocked in Kuwait.
and one more thing: Rep Reset!
Why is it good:
-Members will post more to gain reputation