Author Topic: France to enforce Muslim veil ban from April  (Read 15129 times)

Offline Nobody

• Global Moderator
  • SF V.I.P
France to enforce Muslim veil ban from April
« on: March 06, 2011, 04:42:42 pm »
PARIS (Reuters) - France will start enforcing a ban next month on full Islamic face veils, officials said on Thursday, meaning any veiled woman can be summoned to a police station and asked to remove her face-covering or pay a fine.

Officials say the law is mainly symbolic and police will not call in every veiled woman they see to avoid stigmatising Muslims.

But a Paris imam said forcing veiled women to present themselves at a police station would be just as uncomfortable.

When France passed the ban on full face veils last year, Muslim leaders voiced concern it could lead to veiled women being unfairly treated by police or singled out for harassment.

"My gut reaction is to say this is all a bit clumsy," said Moussa Niambele, the imam of a mosque in the north of Paris.

The ban forbids wearing any garment concealing the face in a public space, namely the street, public transport, shops, schools, courtrooms, hospitals and government buildings.

From April 11, police are instructed to summon veil-wearers to a station, where they will be asked to remove the garment for "identification" and leave it off. If the wearer refuses to remove it they will be fined up to 150 euros ($208).

"You are stopped in public by the police and forced to follow them to the station like an undesirable person," Niambele told Reuters. "This is altogether too much ceremony."

France's Muslim community of 5 million is Europe's largest. Fewer than 3,000 women wear the face veil, the goverment says.

As part of its public relations effort, the government has rolled out a website with the URL "uncovered-face.gouv.fr" and printed posters and pamphlets to be passed out in city halls.

"Nobody is allowed, in a public space, to wear a garment designed to conceal their face," says the poster under a picture of "Marianne", a symbolic female figure of the French Republic.

The ban comes into force as President Nicolas Sarkozy is putting a special focus on Islam and its role in a secular society ahead of a presidential election in 2012.

Some critics have dismissed the ban as a purely political instrument, given the rarity of veil wearers in France.

Concerns the ban could lead to humiliation for Muslims were underscored last year when a French woman attacked a veiled Emirati tourist at a luxury boutique invoking the planned ban.

Source - Yahoo news
link below
http://in.news.yahoo.com/france-enforce-muslim-veil-ban-april-20110303-113154-949.html
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling!
And even more beautiful is, knowing that you are the reason behind it.

Offline Ukhti-R

• Striving for Jannah
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
Re: France to enforce Muslim veil ban from April
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:40:21 pm »
funny.

So when ordinary people start wearing face masks to protect themselves from germs, will they be foced to take it off? Or pay a fine to keep it off?

"...And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him." [65: 2-3]

Offline Crooked

• The Psycho Lunatic.
  • Global Moderator
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:05:37 pm »
They give in such lame reasons. They'll pay.
<3 La Ilaha Illa-Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah. <3

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 03:46:30 pm »
Idiotic step. What is their benefit by the ban anyways ?

elemis

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 03:53:54 pm »
Their country, their rules. Respect them or leave. That's the way I see it.

elemis

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 03:54:39 pm »
They give in such lame reasons. They'll pay.

Who is 'they' ? And 'pay' what ? Mind elaborating ?

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:33:51 pm »
Their country, their rules. Respect them or leave. That's the way I see it.

Libyan ruler Gaddafi is in power for 40 years or so. Now he is arranging air strikes on protesters. "Respect Gaddafi or leave"!!! Is that the way you see Gaddafi's actions?

Lets face it clear cut: You see it that way because it involves Muslims. Had there been a ban on any Jewish religious symbol (and a media publicity the way the veil ban is portrayed), you would most definitely call it "Undemocratic", "discrimination", "anti-semitism" and so on.

If any country/group of people rejects the Holocaust (FYI, I do believe in it), that would be "hurtful" and "discriminative", isn't it?

We want a peaceful world with no hates/discrimination based on religion, ethnicity or race.

Anyway, I don't think I should debate on religious grounds in the forum. Remove the thread if you like. I just expressed my stand.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:38:56 pm by $tyli$h Executive »

elemis

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 04:40:22 pm »
Libyan ruler Gaddafi is in power for 40 years or so. Now he is arranging air strikes on protesters. "Respect Gaddafi or leave"!!! Is that the way you see Gaddafi's actions?

That, my friend, is a very poor analogy on your part.

Lets face it clear cut: You see it that way because it involves Muslims. Had there been a ban on any Jewish religious symbol (and a media publicity the way the veil ban is portrayed), you would most definitely call it "Undemocratic", "discrimination", "anti-semitism" and so on.

We want a peaceful world with no hates/discrimination based on religion, ethnicity or race.

Cool story, bro.

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 04:44:30 pm »

Cool story, bro.

I edited my post. ;)

That, my friend, is a very poor analogy on your part.

I love it(! :P) when people say such things without stating any reason!

Anyways, care to elaborate? PM me if you want.

Again, no hard feelings. ;)

elemis

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 04:45:47 pm »
I edited my post. ;)

I love it(! :P) when people say such things without stating any reason!

Anyways, care to elaborate? PM me if you want.

Again, no hard feelings. ;)

I've got better things to do.

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 04:48:51 pm »
I've got better things to do.

Then, you wouldn't have the sufficient analogical drive to start posting on this topic in the first place, my sweet little brother. ;)

elemis

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 04:54:16 pm »
Then, you wouldn't have the sufficient analogical drive to start posting on this topic in the first place, my sweet little brother. ;)

To rebuke you :

It's impossible to argue with a person that obviously lacks a firm understanding of the meaning of the word 'analogy' and its related derivatives.

In short; stick to using words you understand.

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 04:59:55 pm »
To rebuke you :

It's impossible to argue with a person that obviously lacks a firm understanding of the meaning of the word 'analogy' and its related derivatives.

In short; stick to using words you understand.

Wohoo, brother. Cool down. I wouldn't have replied to your post if I knew that you would so easily get heated/angry.

Anyways, I would prefer to not argue further. Somebody here could get out of control. ::)

elemis

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 05:02:14 pm »
Wohoo, brother. Cool down. I wouldn't have replied to your post if I knew that you would so easily get heated/angry.

Anyways, I would prefer to not argue further. Somebody here could get out of control. ::)

Aye.

Offline Ukhti-R

• Striving for Jannah
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 08:45:53 pm »
Ahhh. I love you bothh :D
"...And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him." [65: 2-3]