Author Topic: Who said women are equal even today?  (Read 9770 times)

Offline SpongeBob

• Squarepants
  • SF Immigrant
Re: Who said women are equal even today?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 04:28:26 pm »
Alpha, I doubt you are naiive enough to actually believe it is the AMERICAN GOVERNMENT who is telling the NY Times what to report on.

When it comes to Saudi Arabia though, it's the monarch that controls local media.
You don't want to be butchered in public for accusing the prince of raping. Hence NO ONE dares.
When BBC or CNN brings something out, you still have problems. What's the issue?

Mayada:Daughter of Iraq(banned in Iraq), Princess(banned in U.A.E and Saudi), Not without my daughter(banned in Iran). Any reasons why?

@Alpha- Can you mention the name of the American author? I'd like to see if her book is banned in the States.
The sky had a baby from my cereal box!

Alpha

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 04:29:15 pm »
How much can one hide?  See the difference in % It's a big margin.

I've traveled and observed.

How much is subjective. People can hide a lot, just like they can reveal a lot too.

I don't think you went into the households of people now.  :P

Why do you have this notion of America being an evil nation? What makes you think it's only selective countries that media talks about? Are you not aware of similar cases in other nations?

A lot many cases are suppressed in Saudi. I read this book called Princess. Shocking.
 "NO ONE dared reveal those cases" - If the rule is rigid, how is media to gain access? Monarchy is not good.

Your first question, replace "America" by "Afghanistan" there. Of course, I do not support the Talibans. But Afghans= Talibans isn't an equation that holds.

It's The Arabian Daughters.  ::)
You just remembered the Queen, yeah. ;)

Where the rule is rigid, media can bring a change.

Alpha, I doubt you are naiive enough to actually believe it is the AMERICAN GOVERNMENT who is telling the NY Times what to report on.

When you refer to America, what entity do you refer to ? The government ? The people ?

I doubt NY Times is naive enough to go against its own government's policies.

Because it is FREE PRESS, the NY Times has the right to report what it wants as it see fits. Forcing them to report on all instances of abuse against women is not considered FREE PRESS.

What? And what about readers who have their psychology and critical analysis affected?

I dont disagree with the fact that women are abused all around the world. My argument is that you cannot claim that the AMERICAN GOVERNMENT or its PEOPLE are responsible for creating STEREOTYPES.

Because they arent. They are stating a fact that women in Afghanistan are mutilated because of Taliban rulers who mould the teachings of Islam to strike fear into the hearts of Afghani women.

Dude, now this is naive to think only America does that. If you say I blamed Am, then others blamed Afghanistan first. I merely retaliated.

Rather than starting a blame game with America being the perennial scape goat you/we should be supporting the American troops who give their lives each day to free the Afghani people from tyranny.

I think it's better we don't start the blame game with religion.

I did not set out to make of this thread a political or social battlefield. Let's talk only about women, and forget where they come from.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:50:21 pm by ~Alpha »

Alpha

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 04:31:00 pm »
When it comes to Saudi Arabia though, it's the monarch that controls local media.
You don't want to be butchered in public for accusing the prince of raping. Hence NO ONE dares.
When BBC or CNN brings something out, you still have problems. What's the issue?

Mayada:Daughter of Iraq(banned in Iraq), Princess(banned in U.A.E and Saudi), Not without my daughter(banned in Iran). Any reasons why?

@Alpha- Can you mention the name of the American author? I'd like to see if her book is banned in the States.

Oy, stop with that.

elemis

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 04:33:30 pm »
The media is an autonomous entity unconnected to the government.

The NY Times actively criticises the government for its expenditure into the Iraq War.

SO where's the bias/prejudice you describe ?

Alpha

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 04:34:38 pm »
The media is an autonomous entity unconnected to the government.

The NY Times actively criticises the government for its expenditure into the Iraq War.

SO where's the bias/prejudice you describe ?

Will you stop or should I remove this thread?

elemis

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 04:37:35 pm »

Will you stop or should I remove this thread?

Woah, woah. Just a misunderstanding. I have reason for posting that comment.

You see, I was looking through that math question that you explained but I had already typed my above comment for this thread, but not posted it.

So I just clicked post without noticing the new replies that had come before; I didnt bother to look.

Then I noticed you wanted to draw the line when I started reading any previous posts that came before mine.

So I apologise. I didnt mean to be stubborn or arrogant - if thats how I came across.

Alpha

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 04:41:51 pm »
Woah, woah. Just a misunderstanding. I have reason for posting that comment.

You see, I was looking through that math question that you explained but I had already typed my above comment for this thread, but not posted it.

So I just clicked post without noticing the new replies that had come before; I didnt bother to look.

Then I noticed you wanted to draw the line when I started reading any previous posts that came before mine.

So I apologise. I didnt mean to be stubborn or arrogant - if thats how I came across.

Nah, it's fine Lion. :)

I'm cool. :P

But we are just going to spare nations and religion.

If Ari Ben Nari has things to say about the 'naris', then go forward.  ;)

elemis

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 04:43:49 pm »
Nah, it's fine Lion. :)

I'm cool. :P

But we are just going to spare nations and religion.

If Ari Ben Nari has things to say about the 'naris', then go forward.  ;)

Unfortunately, its time for me to take a break from all this.

My head pains and I am dead tired. See ya tomorrow ;)

Good Bye !!  ;D

Alpha

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 04:46:01 pm »
Unfortunately, its time for me to take a break from all this.

My head pains and I am dead tired. See ya tomorrow ;)

Good Bye !!  ;D

LOL, don't die with pain.  ::)

See you. ;)

Take Care & Good Night.  :)

Offline SpongeBob

• Squarepants
  • SF Immigrant
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 04:47:15 pm »
How much is subjective. People can hide a lot, just like they can reveal a lot too.

I don't think you went into the households of people now.  :P

I wonder why you find it difficult to believe.

I've stayed with French,German, Swiss, American,Indian, and Arab families. I've watched them eat, talk, sleep and interact and I've seen the differences. So I guess that clears it  :)

Your first question, replace "America" by "Afghanistan" there. Of course, I do not support the Talibans. But Afghans= Talibans isn't an equation that holds.

It's The Arabian Daughters.  ::)

Where the rule is rigid, media can bring a change.

Who ever said that?

Jean Sasson's Princess. Daughters of Arabia is written by the same author though. Haven't gotten a chance to read it.

Local media should be the first to report such cases. It's difficult to get to things for people from the outside.

I doubt NY Times is naive enough to go against its own government's policies.

What? And what about readers who have their psychology and critical analysis affected?

Dude, now this is naive to think only America does that. If you say I blamed Am, then others blamed Afghanistan first. I merely retaliated.

I think it's better we don't start the blame game with religion.

I did not set out to make of this thread a political or social battlefield. Let's talk only about women, and forget where they come from

Who's talking about religion?

You are generalizing. Women may not be equal to men but they are certainly doing better in some places than others. It matters where you come from. Can't drop that.  ;)

Offline SpongeBob

• Squarepants
  • SF Immigrant
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 04:48:18 pm »

Alpha

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 04:53:29 pm »
I wonder why you find it difficult to believe.

I've stayed with French,German, Swiss, American,Indian, and Arab families. I've watched them eat, talk, sleep and interact and I've seen the differences. So I guess that clears it  :)

Who ever said that?

Jean Sasson's Princess. Daughters of Arabia is written by the same author though. Haven't gotten a chance to read it.

Local media should be the first to report such cases. It's difficult to get to things for people from the outside.

Who's talking about religion?

You are generalizing. Women may not be equal to men but they are certainly doing better in some places than others. It matters where you come from. Can't drop that.  ;)

Dude, what should I do with you now?  :P

I'm not replying to any of the above.

The period has been put.

Offline SpongeBob

• Squarepants
  • SF Immigrant
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 04:55:12 pm »
I didn't notice the post above ::) You're the moderator, you can end it when you want to  :)

Alpha

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 05:06:00 pm »
I didn't notice the post above ::) You're the moderator, you can end it when you want to  :)

Thank you. :)

Nah, am just ending nation dart play.

The subject of discussion remains.

And please, do not feel hesitant to talk about women. You've lot to say, I guess. ;)

Freaked12

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 06:15:15 pm »
Alpha You sow the seeds of future religious discord here.

Why havent you realized any talk of women will ultimately shift to religious debate?
WHY?

The fact is the only countries that have a negative attitude towards women are those that show extreme loyalty to the doctrine laid down by their organized religion.

It's another thing whether it's commanded by religion itself or people have hijacked to use it for their own personal gain.

Saudi Arabia , Iran, Somalia etc

Strangely i see islam in all of them
I wonder why ::)

need to lock this thread or otherwise your beloved religion will be there for the taking
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:08:39 pm by Requiem »