Author Topic: Racism in South East Asia  (Read 8236 times)

Offline I'm a mistake - legalize abortion!

• SF Farseer
Re: Racism in South East Asia
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2010, 07:37:09 pm »
[SPOILER][/SPOILER]

Kin doesn't equal to race. It means looking out for your own, and it doesn't always have to be for people of your own ethnicity.

Read the whole post before making assumptions.

Selfish gene - serving their own interests. Sacrificing themselves to protect the lives of its kin- "Kin selection"

Equals to Racism on a smaller scale.

Context my friend, context.
If you don't like my driving, then stay off the sidewalk

• SF Farseer
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2010, 07:37:39 pm »

Ethnicity maybe one of the categories but you can't isolate it as the only way in which the 'selfish gene' works.

Ethnicity is the whole point here. Do you think we are discussing marshmallows here?

• SF Farseer
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2010, 08:19:06 pm »

This is rubbish because there are mistakes in your sources and your pseudo-intellectualism is laughable.

Who's who.

"
I suggest you read a book that wasn't written during the time Darwin was around as many advances has been made.

"The selfish gene" was written in darwins time?!! Nobel prize for you.  8)"

• SF Farseer
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2010, 08:19:26 pm »
There is 99.5% similarity in the genetic structure between you and your, say, friend you are not related to,

I mean there is 0.5% DIFFERENCE between you and your kins or 2-4% DIFFERENCE between you and a chimpanzee or 10 % DIFFERENCE between you and a cat or 30-50% between you and a banana and not the other way around. Get it?

Again,

There is 99.5% similarity in the genetic structure between you and your, say, friend you are not related to, and this doesn't prove anything.

There is no biological factor behind racism. Yes, you might suggest that it's genetic (or, more properly, evolutionary) in that it was of benefit to the survival of early tribal 'proto-humans' to be instinctively distrustful of creatures who were significantly different from them, but there hasn't been ANY biological evidence that different races of human beings exist today.

Of course you get stereotypes arising out cultures, appearance etc, but in the genetic level there aren't much differences from a person of African or Asian descent.

Thus you're wrong. It proves something, which goes -

Your pseudo-intellectualism is laughable.  There are still advancements being made regarding the topic and the fact that you think you understand all of it is nothing but ignorance.

QED.

Funny thing that the problem didn't even require me to do anything at all. You just proved it all by yourself.

• SF Farseer
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2010, 08:46:56 pm »
What about social darwinism?
This has a lot to do with race.

Again, social darwinism has lots of problems with it. It tends to suggest that there is a superior race. Or "caucasians"  are naturally better than other races. Or in case of nazis who promoted this idea by replacing it with "Aryans". That's where all the problem comes from. And that's why most of the people are inclined towards not accepting the reality of racism.

People's line of thinking -
“If there really are different racial groups, then one must be The Master Race, which means -- oh my God – that Hitler Was Right! Therefore, we must promote whatever ideas most confuse the public about race. Otherwise, they will learn the horrible truth and they'll all vote Nazi.” Ignorance is bad in this case.

Off course, there are different racial groups. And of course their members tend to inherit certain different genes, on average, than the members of other racial groups.

And that means racial groups will differ, on average, in various innate capabilities. But that also means that no group can be supreme at all jobs. To be excellent at one skill frequently implies being worse at something else. So, there can't be a Master Race.

Any person who watches sports can clearly tell this.  Men of West African descent monopolize the Olympic 100m dash, but their explosive musculature, which is so helpful in sprinting, weighs them down in distance running, where they are also-rans.

Similarly, there are far more Samoans in  NFL than Chinese, simply because Samoans tend to be much, much bigger. But precisely because Samoans are so huge, they'll never do as well as the Chinese in gymnastics.

Similarly,South Americans and Europeans dominate the european football leagues. The number of Asians ib those leagues  is handful.I think any sane person who watches sports will agree with this.

But people tend to close their eyes from the truth. Because they believe in "equality". ahem.

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2010, 10:27:57 pm »
By social darwinism I mean some cultures are better than others. The British had little culture once but travelled widely adopting the cultures of others.
It is a path to success to copy the ideas of others if they are better than yours.
So Japan copied western technology and China has copied western capitalism. Both countries thrived.
It is a path to failure to think your ways better - like the French and much of Africa.

Offline sabbath_92

• SF Citizen
    • Formspring
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2010, 07:35:59 am »
Races do not exist as genetically discrete groups as there isn’t enough genetic variation between DEMOGRAPHICS of a large number of humans from different ethnicities (reading a DICTIONARY will make you realize that the word is related to the part of the world/culture you are from and doesn’t relate to race) and this is seldom argued in the scientific community.

Whether or not this is because you think the topic is controversial is a different thing altogether, and when you have sufficient knowledge about genetics to not put forward something like humans are not the same as a banana (lmao), you are going to make a breakthrough in this field. Till then please stop polluting this thread with this nonsense, the keyword in the original post was ‘racism’ and it’s affects. Keeping the discussion there would be nice as this isn't going anywhere. End of.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:14:06 am by sabbath_92 »

Offline sabbath_92

• SF Citizen
    • Formspring
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2010, 07:41:17 am »
=
It is a path to failure to think your ways better.

Not when you are debating ;)

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2010, 01:01:32 pm »
I think they are saying there is more variation within ethnic groups than between ethnic groups.
Anyway ethnic is misleading. Serbs and croats are not different ethnic groups but they still hate each other. I can imagine a situation where some cult somewhere shuts themselve off for a hundred years, emerges and speaks slightly differently and finds themselves discriminated against by a society that has moved on.

Offline SpongeBob

• Squarepants
  • SF Immigrant
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2010, 05:46:15 pm »
Well to be honest, it's probably not as profound, since there aren't that many 'races' as the Indian subcontinent is not as diverse as the more developed countries. What I'm talking about is more akin to the term 'colourism', or the caste system or just any kind of discrimination based on things one wouldn't have control of. Say how the caste system in India still prevails, or how the Hazara ethnic group in Afghanistan are discriminated against because they are deemed 'inferior'. Has there been progress made in order to counteract these backward notions, or does it seem like we are bound to live with this ignorance for a long time to come? What are your thoughts on these? Do you ever find yourself discriminating someone on things like this?

I was watching the kite runner a moment ago, and this came to my mind :p, and I don't know if this is the appropriate board, but yah serious issue we are talking about here.

No child-black,brown,red,white or yellow is born racist. And haha when a child is born, he doesn't know whether he is a banana or a fruitfly or a human..so haha.
The sky had a baby from my cereal box!

elemis

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2010, 05:48:22 pm »
No child-black,brown,red,white or yellow is born racist. And haha when a child is born, he doesn't know whether he is a banana or a fruitfly or a human..so haha.

Every child is born innocent.

It is his/her society or parents that mold him/her to their own beliefs; biased as they may be.

Offline SpongeBob

• Squarepants
  • SF Immigrant
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2010, 05:49:08 pm »
Every child is born innocent.

It is his/her society or parents that mold him/her to their own beliefs; biased as they may be.

Seconded.
The sky had a baby from my cereal box!