Author Topic: Which nation/empire was the most instrumental in the advancement of mathematics  (Read 5379 times)

Freaked12

NOWAY  :P

who did i abuse.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:18:24 am by Requiem »

Alpha

Reputed for getting warnings. :-P

Greeks. And Egyptians. For their architecture, their buildings haven't collapsed.

Freaked12

PERSIANS.

Darius, Xerxes the first great Rulers of the World and with the empire stretching from Indus river to Istanbul Turkey they showed remarkable ability of governing such a vast area of land.
 ;D

Why Have i not mentioned China  :-\

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
The concept of 0 was introduced by a Syrian mathematician.

And to my belief, the Arabs BY FAR are the most mathematical of all nations.

The arabs did so much work in geometry and algebra, that by no comparison can the Arabs be seconded other than my an emotive preference of one nation over another.

I would advise you all to look at Jim Al Khalili's documentary.

Also most other BBC documentaries point to the Arabs being the makers of the most fundamental mathematics. In the Islamic Era, the arabs advanced the most.

In fact, their instruments were used 200+ years after their downfall, some regarded as the most accurate.

Most European mathematicians worked on top of arab knowledge, just refining it, but always failed to pioneer anything.

The Indians, were advanced in astronomy but little else.

Freaked12

No
Zero was developed By Indians.
 Al Khwarizmi studied the principles of zero by asking the secretary of House of wisdom established by Caliph Al Mamun to go to India and bring this book to Baghdad which he did.

Although the working was flawed as it said zero/zero=zero, he came to a conclusion that all Mathematics began from zero. :)

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
    • Student Tech
We are both wrong.

The mayans invented it first.

The Maya, about the 1st century ad, used a small oval containing an inner arc to denote zero. About five centuries later the Hindus began to use a circle or a dot as a symbol for zero; the dot later fell into disuse.
Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
    • Student Tech
LOL, we were both getting at the wrong thing.

The Mayans! XD

Freaked12

Never Heard of Mayans Inventing zero man.

It was all made In India.

I mean i read this in so many books.

Ahana will be pissed real bad  :P

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
    • Student Tech
Never Heard of Mayans Inventing zero man.

It was all made In India.

I mean i read this in so many books.

Ahana will be pissed real bad  :P

Well, this is directly from Encarta. I will also take a look at Britannica.

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
    • Student Tech
There is no  article on the number zero in Britannica.

But I think Encarta is more than suffice to quell all doubts.

Contributed By:
James Singer

Reviewed By:
J. Lennart Berggren
Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Both of them are Ph.D in Mathematics, and from highly respected universities.

nid404

Google it. The World knows  ::) :P

elemis

PERSIANS.

Darius, Xerxes the first great Rulers of the World and with the empire stretching from Indus river to Istanbul Turkey they showed remarkable ability of governing such a vast area of land.
 ;D

Why Have i not mentioned China  :-\

Yeah ? Remarkable ability in governing it through enslavement of the populace. The Satraps of each Province weren't exactly kind with the locals. And the locals knew what the Great King would do if they revolted.

Oh and by the way.... Alexander The Great in 4-5 years crushed that Empire and overtook it.

He defeated the might of Persian Army THREE times..... most famously at Guagaemala. He then proceeded to North West India where he stopped after a short break and returned home.

He may have died in Babylon...... but this was a man who could have taken over the World.

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
    • Student Tech
We are talking about mathematics and the sciences, not who conquered who.

Many (smarter races) preferred not to fight among themselves and actually devote their whole time to the advancement of science.

And regarding Alexander, he attacked at a time when the Persians were weak both in the bureaucracy as well as the army.
They were the oldest superpower the world has ever seen, every nation has their rise and fall.

Freaked12

My Sweet God!

Sumarai Jack on Your dp  :o.

Freaked12

Yeah ? Remarkable ability in governing it through enslavement of the populace. The Satraps of each Province weren't exactly kind with the locals. And the locals knew what the Great King would do if they revolted.

Oh and by the way.... Alexander The Great in 4-5 years crushed that Empire and overtook it.

He defeated the might of Persian Army THREE times..... most famously at Guagaemala. He then proceeded to North West India where he stopped after a short break and returned home.

He may have died in Babylon...... but this was a man who could have taken over the World.

You of all people Not agreeing with me.
Last time i checked, Jews had the greatest amount of freedom Under Darius and Persian Kings.

and Yes, every empire has a fall and a rise. 8).

Persians were getting corrupt to the core when Alexander attacked