Author Topic: Which nation/empire was the most instrumental in the advancement of mathematics  (Read 4772 times)

Freaked12

and Science.

and The candidates are   ;D
1:Persia:
With a Glittering Army of scientists such as Ibn Hasan Tusi, Khawarizmi and Omar Khayyam who are known for not only shaking the very foundations of  polymath, mathematics, philosophy, astronomy, physics, and Literature but also known for producing books that would bring Golden age to Superseding European Empires.

2:Greeks:
Known as the Third Great civilization(after India) with  research, experiments and Inventions influencing 7 different World Empires and some of the work by Galen for example are still being studied in Medicine today.

3:Arabs
Producing Geniuses  like Ibn Al Haytham, Al-Kindi and Ibn hayyan known for significant contributions to the principles of optics, as well as to physics, anatomy, astronomy, engineering, mathematics, medicine, ophthalmology, philosophy, psychology and Visual Perception.You have got to wonder how and why did Moral and Creative Degeneration occur that brought down Arabs from the helicon days of Abu Ali Sina to mere Oil-funded wealth that these countries are enjoying now.

4-India-
The Second Great Civilization.Credited with the Invention of a zero from which All Mathematics and Physics began.Although Arabs or Al-Khawazirmi  gave  zero the symbol which we see today, He borrowed Principles worth Nine pages from a Indian Book.
In short Indians after much experiments gathered
Nothing/Nothing=Nothing  :P

5-Egypt
World's first Great Civilization.Need i say more.The Culture of Egypt has six thousand years of recorded history. Ancient Egypt was among the earliest civilizations. For millennia, Egypt maintained a strikingly complex and stable culture that influenced later cultures of Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Producing people such as Ctesibius, Pappus and Diophantus which are icons of Science and Architecture
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:37:16 am by Requiem »

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
Imo it is the Arabs but I am not so sure.

I heard that even binary number system was invented by an Arab mathematician. The whole electronic industry depends on it.

nid404

Change that "nothing" under india  ::)

Freaked12

They called zero *nothing* in ancient India  ::)

nid404

They called zero *nothing* in ancient India  ::)

Well you don't mean it that way...I know very well  ::)

Value of \pi was worked upon by Indian mathematician-astronomer Aryabhatta. 8) And well the concept of zero was introduced by India  ::)

Freaked12

But the arabs got closest to getting the real value of pie without computers.

Freaked12

Well you don't mean it that way...I know very well  ::)

Value of \pi was worked upon by Indian mathematician-astronomer Aryabhatta. 8) And well the concept of zero was introduced by India  ::)

I LOLed at this  8)

nid404

But the arabs got closest to getting the real value of pie without computers.

lol yeah and we had computers? :P

Yeah? then they chaap marofied  ::)

Freaked12

lol yeah and we had computers? :P

Yeah? then they chaap marofied  ::)

You just gave concepts.

Arabs or Persians proved it.

O Indian

Freaked12

Khayyam authors methods for solving cubic equations that are intelligible only to the most advanced mathematics students a thousand years later.A Cubic equation is a polynomial equation in which the highest occuring power of the unknown is the third power.

x^3 + 200x=20x^2 + 2000
bEAT THAT

nid404

You hate me don't you? :P

Freaked12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryabhata

Padho :P

Chal Bay :P

Aint wiki materiak <<

I am reading a book
the Lost history
Enduring legacy of Muslim and Indian scientists, Thinkers and Artists  ;D

Freaked12

You hate me don't you? :P

No.
It is Just India mate  :P
Look i gave your sexy country the credit for laying foundations to Mathematics and Physics   :P
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:40:05 am by Requiem »

nid404

Oye  >:( Did you just call my country stupid?  >:( >:( I hate you >:( You're being racist! BAN! BAN! BAN!  >:(