Author Topic: Need some advice  (Read 3818 times)

Offline M-H

• SF Master
Re: Need some advice
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 01:07:13 pm »
Any good uni requires a minimum of 3-4 A levels.

not all..my brother is studyin in the uk, he didnt like chem either..so well he had maths and physics! and he's studying in a good uni!

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 01:08:52 pm »
not all..my brother is studyin in the uk, he didnt like chem either..so well he had maths and physics! and he's studying in a good uni!

Which uni?

Offline M-H

• SF Master
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 01:21:18 pm »
bhule gesi :P..its not the popular kind of uni..but its good, he likes it. so that should do!

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 02:14:23 pm »
bhule gesi :P..its not the popular kind of uni..but its good, he likes it. so that should do!

Nam bolle ki mohabharot oshuddho hoye jai??! :P

Offline M-H

• SF Master
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 02:23:26 pm »

arey na...ami shotti bhule gesilam..your wish has been answered :P...my bro just called me up now :D..and i asked him..he said me sth like- hertfordshire...i don't know :P..you assume too much >:( :P

elemis

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 02:36:48 pm »

Not all UK unis are good. A serious university like the University of Nottingham is looking for 4 A levels.

Monica

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 04:17:08 pm »
Universities in Egypt require only 2 A-levels. >_<

If you take more, it won't be calculated in your score or considered.

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 10:38:37 pm »
omg st.. ex.. n M-H r bangladeshiz
i dnt noe dat

n ya yuh noe wat even i was planin 2 do alevels in phy n mathz...because m gona go 4 architecture 2

bt decision chngd....
because m nt shure whch uni i myt go 2
so my uncle told meh dat i do need 3 alevels subjct in a gud uni of paki....
so m plannin to do as n a2 in chem, phy n mathz
iA :)

Offline leebux101

• SF Geek
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 02:07:14 am »
can i get some advice.. ??
i gave math phy and chem for AS..
i am gna go for management and administration.. mainly business..
all that field requires basically is math
so the problem is i got
phy - A
chem - A
math - B

u see my problem?
what should i do?
i am devastated!   :'(

Monica

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 04:49:48 am »
can i get some advice.. ??
i gave math phy and chem for AS..
i am gna go for management and administration.. mainly business..
all that field requires basically is math
so the problem is i got
phy - A
chem - A
math - B

u see my problem?
what should i do?
i am devastated!   :'(

Well, this is really weird because the field you want is different than the subjects you took. You could've taken Accounting, Business or Economics.

Your grades are great and I believe a B in A-level is alright but won't you take any commerce subjects?

Offline leebux101

• SF Geek
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 06:30:54 am »
basically to go for business.. all u need in mathemtics and two other tradiotional subjects...
got any other advice?   :'(

Offline S.M.A.T

• SF Master
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 12:04:21 am »

Bangladeshi paishi ;D

By the way apnar nam ki abir ::)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 12:11:26 am by asiftasfiq93 »

"A man's life is interesting primarily when he has failed - I well know. For it's a sign that he tried to surpass himself." Clemenceau, Georges

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 12:58:35 am »
basically to go for business.. all u need in mathemtics and two other tradiotional subjects...
got any other advice?   :'(

B is not too bad a result. You can still struggle for an A or A* in A-Level, and even if you don't get one it won't demean your script too badly. You can reappear next year in A2 if you like, that might help you bring that grade up. Take a few extra classes to improve your Math and be extra vigilant in your preparation as well as exams to prevent that from happening again.

Salaam.. I have a doubt... I want to do MBA or ACCA in the future. So what subjects do i need to do MBA and what subjects do i need for doing ACCA.? I'm starting AS on the 6th of september and need to decide what subjects to take and i'm not sure what subjects i need for MBA and ACCA?

Thank You.!!

The usual subjects for the above prospective qualifications can be from the following:

Economics
Accounting
Business Studies
Mathematics
Further Mathematics

Students usually take Economics, Business Studies and Mathematics. My suggestion is that whichever subject combination you make, keep Economics and Mathematics. If you want to keep more subjects with these subjects for extra credit, you may choose from the following:

Literature and Language in English
General Paper
Your Regional Language (e.g. if you're an Indian, choose Hindi)

There is another subject, Applied Information and Computer Technology, but I'm not sure of its merits and use in your field. You can always consult the career adviser about this.
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 06:37:02 am »
Thanks alot for the reply. I really appreciate it. :)

I live in the central Africa in some country called Malawi. Many people don't know this place. Its a fullstop on the map. Its a small country. We don't have good schools down here.

Well, coming back to the point... We only have a few subjects at A level.. We've got Pure Maths with statistics or mechanics, General Paper, English Literature, ICT, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Business Studies, Accounting, Economics, Law, Sociology, French, History and Geography.

We are only allowed to take a subject for A level if we have done it at IGCSE and have passed it with a C or above so I can only take Maths, English, ICT, Business Studies, Accounting, Economics or Physics.

We are only allowed to have 3 or 4 subjects so now since i either want to do MBA or ACCA which 4 subjetc do i need or should i say which four subjects should i take for if i want to do MBA and which 4 subjects for ACCA.?

N.S- ICT i'm taking for sure.. But i'm confused about the other 3.!!

Thank You.!!  

Actually, I know about Malawi. My sister almost lived there. :) Though you not having a career adviser is kinda sad :P

In view of the restrictions your school has placed on you, I guess the subject combination which would work for your fields could be:
ACCA: Mathematics, Accounting and Economics; Mathematics, Accounting and Business Studies
MBA: Mathematics, Economics and Business Studies; Mathematics, Economics and Accounting; Business Studies, Economics and Accounting.

The ones in bold are my personal recommendations. Reasons being:
1) Chartered Accountancy requires a very good grasp of Mathematics. Plus for most entrepreneurs, Mathematics is a must. From personal experience, I also feel Mathematics keeps your mind sharp and vigilant. :P
2) Economics is a very strong subject. It is the bridge between Social Sciences and Life Sciences; many prospective medical, engineering and students for related fields are now opting Economics because someone cannot work out a Biotechnology plant without a knowledge of cost management and effectiveness.
3) Accounting is obviously an important option for someone going in Chartered Accountancy, and from what I've heard it's quite hard. However schools in my country do not offer Accounting and yet most students carry forward into business and banking, with many going abroad, so it might not be as important as Economics or Mathematics.
4) Business Studies is reputed as a comparatively easy subject. However, it is important and is a good option.

Overall, I feel that you should keep the following subjects:
Mathematics, Economics, ICT and Business Studies
That way, you can have an easier fourth subject rather than a tougher one. Plus, like I said, from my experience Business Studies is given preference over Accounting in schools.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:40:37 am by Chingoo »

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 10:28:05 pm »
I could never advise you for that. Economics and Mathematics are important subjects for both fields and asking me to chose which one to forsake is a really difficult question. It is better you forsake Business Studies or Accounting, because even if you forsake Business Studies you can flourish in MBA and if you forsake Accounting you can flourish in ACCA. But if you forsake Economics or Mathematics that's a big minus for both fields.

Good luck with your retakes. Obviously you'd be finding it hard to pick from Accounting and Business Studies, if you had to, but I suggest you go with whichever subject you are more confident with, both in terms of grades and interest. You can also ask your friends what choices they're making for a better idea. Many Science students continue into Business Studies in their A-Levels, so even though it may seem so it's not that bad, you just had some tough luck.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:37:02 am by Chingoo »