Author Topic: AS level??  (Read 1973 times)

Offline CatAly$t

• SF Citizen
  • Ade MeLayU ke Kat $!n!???
AS level??
« on: June 21, 2010, 03:39:36 am »
hi guys,

I just wanna know how does As level works?Some people tell me that there is an exam in january....is it true?

what are the other procedures??

one more thing,is it very hard compared to IGCSE??in what way is it different than IG??

thanks...
InshaAllah 8 A* in IGCSE....Ameen.....

Ade MeLayU ke Kat $!n!???

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
Re: AS level??
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 09:35:12 am »
lok i don't kno much , i also have the same Qs . but i got an ans for only one Q of urs , is that the exam has two sessions one in jan and the other in june :)

ppl plz ans these Qs for both of us , i also wanna kno ?
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:51:22 pm »
There are two main centers that offer this Qualification.

Edexcel and Cambridge International Examinations (CIE).

If you take Edexcel, there will be two examination sessions, in June and January. For CIE, June and October/November.

The CIE A level is considerably harder in my opinion in comparison to the Edexcel. But they are both viewed equally.

And yes the A2, the second part of the A Levels is harder than the IGCSE, much harder. But the AS, I believe is very easy.

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 04:36:02 pm »

@engraved:1. i wanna kno for example in math AS + A Level what does it have i heard there is C1 & C2 ,C3 ,C4 , M1 ,M2 .. idk which one is AS and which is A level

2.and for physics and chem i want u to tell me what's the name of the exame *it's surely not C1 or smthn , i heard ther is unit 1 ..and stuff *

3.and can u plz recommend to me some really good book or simply the books u studied from ?

4.which ones do u recomend i take in jan and which in june *i'm takin phy , chem and math *

srry for the toom much Qs :(

thx in advance  :)

Offline hamzamirza

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 05:01:52 pm »

@engraved:1. i wanna kno for example in math AS + A Level what does it have i heard there is C1 & C2 ,C3 ,C4 , M1 ,M2 .. idk which one is AS and which is A level

2.and for physics and chem i want u to tell me what's the name of the exame *it's surely not C1 or smthn , i heard ther is unit 1 ..and stuff *

3.and can u plz recommend to me some really good book or simply the books u studied from ?

4.which ones do u recomend i take in jan and which in june *i'm takin phy , chem and math *

thx in advance  :)

Maths A level consists of;
4 core papers, and 2 extras, from either... mechanics, statistics or decision making.

Math AS consists of;
1. C1
2. C2
3. M1 or S1 or D1

Maths A2 consists of;
1. C3
2. C4
3. M1 or S1 or D1

Chemistry im not sure of one bit.
physics, the units and textbooks used all depend on the examining body you use.

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
    • Student Tech
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 06:15:46 pm »

thx in advance  :)

Thank you for your question, I take great pleasure in answering them. :)

MATHEMATICS

The Advanced Subsidiary Mathematics in Edexcel consists of 2 types of Courses:

1. Normal Mathematics

This included 2 compulsory Units
  • C1
  • C2

And one further Application Unit:
  • M1
  • S1 or
  • D1

2. Pure Mathematics

3 compulsory Units:
  • C1
  • C2
  • C3

For A-Level Mathematics, it is the same, you take C3 and C4 as 2 compulsory units. And another Application Unit such as Mechanics, Statistics or Decision Unit.

If you have taken Pure Mathematics, you will be required to take C4 and two further Application Units.

PHYSICS

For Advanced Subsidiary, there are two Papers, Unit 1 (6PH01) and Unit 2 (6PH02).

Unit 1 (6PH01): This is "Physics on the go"

Unit 2 (6PH02): This is "Physics at work"

The links are to the Specification.

There is a third Unit which is practical based. Your school may actually do the practical or you may sit the Alternative to Practical.

Physics Unit 3 (6PH07)

CHEMISTRY

The Link to the specification is here

The Course structure of Chemistry is Identical to that of Physics. So I will not elaborate. There is a practical unit as well as an alternative to practical. (6PH07)

Books

For Chemistry, the original resource from Edexcel itself is my first choice. Anything extra that I ever needed as always found on this website.

For Physics, I am sorry to tell you that finding good resources that will elaborate to your content is absolutely rare. Often I had to go through many websites. For this I believe a teacher is the best option. I studied alone, and I needed a lot of Mr. Paul's help to get through things.

For Mathematics, the Original books from Edexcel are the best. There should never be a second choice after this. They are simply astounding.

This is a book cover for the Edexcel C1 unit

Recommendations

I feel your school should decide on which units to take when. However if you are not concerned about the number of sittings, I would sugges, that you give C1, C2, 6PH01, and 6CH01 in January and the rest in June.

But I believe this is VERY Dependant on your school and you should stick to what it recommends.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:41:46 pm by Engraved »

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
    • Student Tech
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 06:18:36 pm »
I do hope the information that I have provided is suffice in answering all your queries, if not feel free to post more.

If you are doing CIE, I feel that Nid (Xena) will be better able to explain than I can. I did Edexcel, and so I posted the information in accord to the Edexcel Specification. This is overwhelmingly the most popular board when it comes to A-level.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:21:09 pm by Engraved »

Offline CatAly$t

• SF Citizen
  • Ade MeLayU ke Kat $!n!???
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 05:24:06 pm »
thanks guys for all ur help.... :D :D ;D ;D
InshaAllah 8 A* in IGCSE....Ameen.....

Ade MeLayU ke Kat $!n!???

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 05:37:51 pm »
thx :)

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:13:42 pm »
mm By the way i can't resit any of my xams *that's what the uni i wanna go to says :( * so i need to achieve a gd grade from my first try so can u give me more precise tips on how to study * i really wanna work on it :-[ , plz gimme more detalis  :-[ :-\*

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
    • Student Tech
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 09:25:49 pm »
mm By the way i can't resit any of my xams *that's what the uni i wanna go to says :( * so i need to achieve a gd grade from my first try so can u give me more precise tips on how to study * i really wanna work on it :-[ , plz gimme more detalis  :-[ :-\*

Yes, it is always hard for the people who have to endure self-study. But I feel the best way to do things is simply to learn the stuff, and then do practice questions on them.