Author Topic: Chemistry P3 7/6/2010  (Read 23605 times)

Offline WARRIOR

• SF Master
  • Egyptian And so damn proud . I love you jesus!
Re: Chemistry P3 7/6/2010
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2010, 05:15:42 pm »
why de rate of rustin is increased in presence of acid and salt water
can sum on eplz answer
thanz in advance  ;D
BECAUS they contain IONS which can transfer electrons which speed up rusting or oxidation!
NO secrets to SUCCESS , it is the result of 1.HARD WORK 2.GOOD PREPARATION 3.LEARNING FROM FAILURE
But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward-Balboa

Offline J.Darren

• SF Geek
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2010, 05:38:48 pm »
BECAUS they contain IONS which can transfer electrons which speed up rusting or oxidation!
i.e they are electrolytes.
Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Hesham Mhd

« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2010, 05:43:54 pm »
Hey, can any1 please explain the contents of section 6.2 in the syllabus?! I really get nothing from it!  ??? ???

Offline Chosen Dude

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2010, 05:51:52 pm »
Hey, can any1 please explain the contents of section 6.2 in the syllabus?! I really get nothing from it!  ??? ???
Yea sure, You just have to know that hydrogen is a better fuel because the product of its combustion is water which isnt a pollutant advantages are that it will conserve natural resources and doesn't cause pollution. You just have to know the name Uranium-235 is used as a fuel cell. The electrode is a big topic. For the hydrogen one in supplement they have already said it. Anything I missed?
I am convinced all of humanity is born with more gifts than we know.  Most are born geniuses and just get de-geniused rapidly.  ~Buckminster Fuller

Offline Hesham Mhd

« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2010, 05:56:59 pm »
Yea sure, You just have to know that hydrogen is a better fuel because the product of its combustion is water which isnt a pollutant advantages are that it will conserve natural resources and doesn't cause pollution. You just have to know the name Uranium-235 is used as a fuel cell. The electrode is a big topic. For the hydrogen one in supplement they have already said it. Anything I missed?
Thank You so much, but what about the prdoduction of energy from a simple cell thingy?

Offline J.Darren

• SF Geek
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2010, 06:03:51 pm »
6.2 Production of energy

-Describe the production of heat energy by burning fuels

Buring fossil fuels, such as coal, natural gas and petroleum (crude oil) produces heat energy.

-Describe hydrogen as a fuel

Pros : Does not produce oxides of nitrogen when buring, the most energy rich fuel, only product of combustion is water.
Cons : Expensive and difficult to store

-Describe radioactive isotopes, such as 235 U, as a source of energy

Heat energy and then electrical energy is produced from nuclear reactors.

-Describe the production of electrical energy from simple cells, i.e. two electrodes in an electrolyte.

Electrons flow from the negative electrode to the positive electrode through the external circuit in an electrolytic fuel cell (also electrolysis).

Zinc electrode, Copper electrode and dilute Sulphuric acid electrolyte are used as an example here.

Since Zinc is more reactive than copper, it is the negative electrode, oxidation takes place (Zn -> Zn2+ + 2e-). The elctrons flows through the external circuit to the Copper electrode, the positive ion from the electrolyte (i.e. Hydrogen ions) gets reduced here.

The greater the difference between the reactivity of the two metal electrodes used, the greater the voltage of the circuit would be.

-Describe the use of hydrogen as a potential fuel reacting with oxygen to generate electricity in a fuel cell

Hydrogen is supplied to the negative electrode : H2 -> 2H+ + 2e-

The electrons flows through the external circuit to the positive electrode.

Oxygen is supplied to the positive electrode : O2 + 2H2O + 4e- -> 4OH-

The ions react to produce water : H+ + OH- -> H2O

The overall reaction is : 2H2 + O2 -> 2H2O

When hydrogen reacts with oxygenm to form water in a fuel cell, electrical energy is procued.
Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Chosen Dude

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2010, 06:10:02 pm »
Thank You so much, but what about the prdoduction of energy from a simple cell thingy?
No problem :), There are two things. A cell and an electrolyte.
A cell- Chemical energy is converted to electrical energy(basically its a battery)
the reaction is exothermic because by chemical energy  electrical energy is produced
The flow of es is from more reactive metal to least reactive. At the more reactive electrode oxidation takes place and the metal atoms become ions. The less reactive electrode is reduction. So bubbles of a gas which is hydrogen. always bubbles produced at less reactive.

Electrolyte- Electrical energy is used to bring  a chemical change. So basically this reaction is endothermic because electrical energy is needed to bring  a change in the electrolyte. This part is in electrolysis.
I hope I helped :)
I am convinced all of humanity is born with more gifts than we know.  Most are born geniuses and just get de-geniused rapidly.  ~Buckminster Fuller

Offline Chosen Dude

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2010, 06:13:39 pm »
By the way just  a little bit more about U-235
Produces energy without using oxygen. But all other fuels need oxygen.
Uses are in industry which are:
1) Power generators
2) Treatment of cancer

Offline Hesham Mhd

« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2010, 06:27:09 pm »
6.2 Production of energy

Buring fossil fuels, such as coal, natural gas and petroleum (crude oil) produces heat energy.

Pros : Does not produce oxides of nitrogen when buring, the most energy rich fuel, only product of combustion is water.

-Describe the production of electrical energy from simple cells, i.e. two electrodes in an electrolyte.

Electrons flow from the negative electrode to the positive electrode through the external circuit in an electrolytic fuel cell (also electrolysis).

Zinc electrode, Copper electrode and dilute Sulphuric acid electrolyte are used as an example here.

Since Zinc is more reactive than copper, it is the negative electrode, oxidation takes place (Zn -> Zn2+ + 2e-). The elctrons flows through the external circuit to the Copper electrode, the positive ion from the electrolyte (i.e. Hydrogen ions) gets reduced here.

The greater the difference between the reactivity of the two metal electrodes used, the greater the voltage of the circuit would be.

-Describe the use of hydrogen as a potential fuel reacting with oxygen to generate electricity in a fuel cell

When hydrogen reacts with oxygenm to form water in a fuel cell, electrical energy is procued.
Yur Amazing Dude! Thank You :D

Offline Hesham Mhd

« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2010, 06:28:22 pm »
No problem :), There are two things. A cell and an electrolyte.
A cell- Chemical energy is converted to electrical energy(basically its a battery)
the reaction is exothermic because by chemical energy  electrical energy is produced
The flow of es is from more reactive metal to least reactive. At the more reactive electrode oxidation takes place and the metal atoms become ions. The less reactive electrode is reduction. So bubbles of a gas which is hydrogen. always bubbles produced at less reactive.

Electrolyte- Electrical energy is used to bring  a chemical change. So basically this reaction is endothermic because electrical energy is needed to bring  a change in the electrolyte. This part is in electrolysis.
I hope I helped :)
Thank You again x], nd yea, yu dd help :D

Offline SoONa

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2010, 07:41:26 pm »
hello .. hope everyones doing well

can some1 please tell me wht i need 2 kno for thermal decomposition for 2mrrw

thanks in advance :D

Offline contraentry

• SF Citizen
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2010, 08:37:24 pm »
hello .. hope everyones doing well

can some1 please tell me wht i need 2 kno for thermal decomposition for 2mrrw

thanks in advance :D

Metal Nitrate:
(upon heating)

Group 1: Metal Nitrate > Metal Nitrite + Oxygen
Group 2 & Others : Metal Nitrate > Metal Oxide + Nitrogen Dioxide + Oxygen

Metal Hydroxide :
(upon heating)

Group 1 : No Decomposition
Group2 & Others : Metal Hydroxide > Metal Oxide + Water

Metal Carbonate:
(upon heating)

Group 1: No Decomposition
Group 2 & Others : Metal Carbonate > Metal Oxide + CarbonDioxide  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:39:52 pm by contraentry »

Offline contraentry

• SF Citizen
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2010, 08:41:01 pm »
Best of luck to all attempting the Chemistry Paper 3 tomorrow, hopefully it'll be good, and we will all score good marks!

Offline Dana

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2010, 08:51:18 pm »
6.2 Production of energy

Since Zinc is more reactive than copper, it is the negative electrode, oxidation takes place (Zn -> Zn2+ + 2e-). The electrons flow through the external circuit to the Copper electrode, the positive ion from the electrolyte (i.e. Hydrogen ions) gets reduced here.

hey isnt zinc placed as the ANODE not cathode in the cell? or is this electrolysis? :S aakh im so confused. cuz there was a qs in 08 or 07 i dno and it was like gsacrificial protection using tin as the anode and the steel as the cathode. the tin lost electrons, giving them to steel to prevent the steel form oxidising.

Offline Vin

• SF V.I.P
    • Theory of Life - A new skew.
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2010, 09:03:39 pm »
hey isnt zinc placed as the ANODE not cathode in the cell? or is this electrolysis? :S aakh im so confused. cuz there was a qs in 08 or 07 i dno and it was like gsacrificial protection using tin as the anode and the steel as the cathode. the tin lost electrons, giving them to steel to prevent the steel form oxidising.

Um, does this help?:: https://studentforums.biz/index.php/topic,1411.msg254665.html#msg254665