Author Topic: Physics paper 1 doubt  (Read 3982 times)

Offline Got Tech? GO TECH

Physics paper 1 doubt
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:25:18 pm »
I'm doing summer 2000, and I came across question 13. Can you please explain the solution? Thanks!

holtadit

Re: Physics paper 1 doubt
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:26:18 pm »
Please take a screen shot of the question.

I dont have the paper :)

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:29:35 pm »

holtadit

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 12:34:52 pm »
hang on

holtadit

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:37:15 pm »
It would be D.

The dam wall needs to be thicker at the bottom. WHY U ask ?

Because pressure INCREASES with depth thus the pressure UNDERWATER is larger than at the surface.

So thicker wall at the bottom to resist the pressure.

GOT IT ?   ;)

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:38:43 pm »
It would be D.

The dam wall needs to be thicker at the bottom. WHY U ask ?

Because pressure INCREASES with depth thus the pressure UNDERWATER is larger than at the surface.

So thicker wall at the bottom to resist the pressure.

GOT IT ?   ;)

Ahh, I see, Thanks a lot!!!
+1 for the quick answer :D

holtadit

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 12:40:46 pm »
No problem ;)

Offline Weaam

• Mad Alice
  • SF Geek
  • What if I spoke alien, fluently? O.o
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 02:45:41 pm »
Ive a question, its question37 and 19 in oct/nov 08, and i cant understand them.
Could anyone help me? :-\
- The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch.
-I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I went in. - Homer
+ Rep me if i have been of any assistance to you ;D

Offline dsiddiqi11

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 03:07:04 pm »
Ive a question, its question37 and 19 in oct/nov 08, and i cant understand them.

37.this is a property of a thermistor:AS TEMP ACROSS THERMISTOR INCREASES THE RESISTANCE DECREASES. so in the question, it says, temp across thermistor increases, so resistance decreases, and when resistance decreases, more current can flow towards the lamp (current and resistance are inversely proportional) , and therefore it gets brighter. ANSWER IS C.

19.hot air always rises and cold air moves down, so the gap is down, so from the heater the hot air goes up and cold air goes down.

GET IT!!!! ;)

Offline Snake

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 03:14:03 pm »

Q37=C: This is because the Thermistor gets heated, so Voltage decreases and remember R=V/I, if V decreases then R decreases allowing a stronger current hence brighter lamp!
Q19=B: This is to do with Convection Currents, remember Hot rises, Cold sinks. When the heater heats the hot air rises above the cupboard while the cold air would normally have to go under the cupboard and towards the heater. See the attached picture!

Hope I helped :)
-Once the game is over,the king and the pawn go back in the same box-

Offline Weaam

• Mad Alice
  • SF Geek
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 03:40:30 pm »
Thanks you guys, i get it now, and thanks snake for the picture, that really helped me understand, ill +1 u guys.
Thanks again  ;)
Also from the same year could you please explain Q12 please, sorry for the trouble  :-\
- The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch.
-I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I went in. - Homer

Offline J.Darren

• SF Geek
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 03:50:15 pm »
Thanks you guys, i get it now, and thanks snake for the picture, that really helped me understand, ill +1 u guys.
Thanks again  ;)
Also from the same year could you please explain Q12 please, sorry for the trouble  :-\
Atmospheric pressure in the case of a barometer is when the reading of the mercury height on the tube reads 760 mm. Inside the tube the atmospheric pressure at the reservoir supports the arrangement, thus sustaining P at the 760 mm point. It essentially pushes up the mercury to that height. Hence the pressure at the reservoir would be the heaviest, whereas the pressure at the top would be the lowest.
Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Weaam

• Mad Alice
  • SF Geek
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 03:59:26 pm »
Atmospheric pressure in the case of a barometer is when the reading of the mercury height on the tube reads 760 mm. Inside the tube the atmospheric pressure at the reservoir supports the arrangement, thus sustaining P at the 760 mm point. It essentially pushes up the mercury to that height. Hence the pressure at the reservoir would be the heaviest, whereas the pressure at the top would be the lowest.
Im sorry, I dont get it, simpler explanation please, like REALLY simple. thanks

holtadit

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 04:06:14 pm »
Im sorry, I dont get it, simpler explanation please, like REALLY simple. thanks

Which year ?

holtadit

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 04:10:48 pm »
Check the picture.