Author Topic: Just to clarify the curve misunderstanding..  (Read 4466 times)

Offline hesho21

• SF Immigrant
Just to clarify the curve misunderstanding..
« on: May 20, 2010, 01:54:52 pm »
Its false,there is going to be a curve like before , ther only difference is the percentage added and A* for A-levels :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:22:57 pm by hesho21 »

Offline contraentry

• SF Citizen
Re: Just to clarify the curve misunderstanding..
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 02:03:53 pm »
From the file you attached :

"The percentage uniform mark is not the same as the actual mark that the candidate obtains on the question paper, since it depends on the position of the grade thresholds (which may vary from one session to another and from one subject to another) and it has been converted into a percentage. The percentage uniform mark will always be calculated out of 100."

This clearly states that the Threshold system is still in place and actual grades reported will be based on the grade boundaries. However, in addition to the grades, a % Uniform Mark will also be given. This, I trust, means that along with our results, a Percentage Uniform Mark will also be reported. (which is the only difference for this year onwards) (june 2010)

Offline Twinkle Charms

• Miss. Obvious ^ ^
  • SF Master
  • cRoxxEd blAcK
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 02:05:29 pm »

"The percentage uniform mark is not the same as the actual mark that the candidate obtains on the question paper, since it depends on the position of the grade thresholds (which may vary from one session to another and from one subject to another) and it has been converted into a percentage. The percentage uniform mark will always be calculated out of 100."

This clearly states that the Threshold system is still in place and actual grades reported will be based on the grade boundaries. However, in addition to the grades, a % Uniform Mark will also be given. This, I trust, means that along with our results, a Percentage Uniform Mark will also be reported.
sucha a relieeefff!!   i thought no thresholds....my stupid frn freaked me out yday >:(
You See - You like - You try - You fail meanwhile I see - I like - I want - I get!

La Fata Illa Ali, La Saif Illa Zulfikar . (:

Offline [Spy]

• SF Joker (2)
  • SF Geek
  • Watch Your Back.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 02:06:26 pm »
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

THIS IS NOT RIGHT! THE THRESHOLDS ARE STILL APPLIED!! ITS JUST THAT NOW YOU GET A PRECENTAGE WITH YOUR GRADE AND THAT PERCENTAGE IS NOT THE ACTUAL ONE! ITS THE CURVED ONE! READ IN THE PHOTO

Kids in back seats cause accidents, accidents in back seats cause kids.
David Guetta<3
Student Forum<3

Offline nikestudies

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 02:08:50 pm »
Wanted to know, where did you get this thing? I dont see it on the IGCSE website.....

Offline contraentry

• SF Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 02:09:57 pm »
sucha a relieeefff!!   i thought no thresholds....my stupid frn freaked me out yday >:(

Yes, I was bothered with a lot of calls from some of my friends who were frantic with worry, I've been trying to explain this very point that is clearly stated in the "additional information document" Moreover, CIE or any other testing body, will not deviate from what standards (or setting of standards for grading) of grading they have been following since they commenced their operations.

Offline hesho21

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 03:23:40 pm »

This clearly states that the Threshold system is still in place and actual grades reported will be based on the grade boundaries. However, in addition to the grades, a % Uniform Mark will also be given. This, I trust, means that along with our results, a Percentage Uniform Mark will also be reported. (which is the only difference for this year onwards) (june 2010)

Thanks for clearing that out :D I edited my post

Offline contraentry

• SF Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 03:42:10 pm »
Oh ok Cool! Hopefully this thread should explicate the misconceptions regarding the "Curve" :)

Offline 7ooD

• SF Geek
    • 7ood
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 12:14:33 am »
cool they will change it next year i think and remove the curve cuz many ppl thought it will be on 2010 but actualy they will apply on 2011
pimpin ain't dead it just moved to the web

Offline 7ooD

• SF Geek
    • 7ood
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 12:16:04 am »
By the way tankz spy for clearing it wiz a proof
pimpin ain't dead it just moved to the web

Offline neno

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 01:53:52 am »
lucky us...Thanks for clearing this misunderstanding....so basically thrs gna b curve but v will get % based on the curve.... :)

Offline @ce/AJ

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 02:28:10 am »
Thts a huge relief man!

Offline [Spy]

• SF Joker (2)
  • SF Geek
  • Watch Your Back.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 09:36:47 am »
You're Welcome :)

and yeah a huge relief, we can mess up our exams now :P
Kids in back seats cause accidents, accidents in back seats cause kids.
David Guetta<3
Student Forum<3

Offline contraentry

• SF Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 11:21:44 am »
You're Welcome :)

and yeah a huge relief, we can mess up our exams now :P

Lol, Seriously  :P

Offline leebux101

• SF Geek
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 09:44:39 pm »
R U FREAKIN SERIOUS!!

I LOVVEEEEE YOU GUYS!! SERIOUSLY!! ur all awesome!!!!