Author Topic: Edexcel Biology AS Question  (Read 959 times)

Offline Blizz_rb93

• SF Senior Citizen
Edexcel Biology AS Question
« on: April 29, 2010, 03:45:21 pm »
This question is from June 2009 6BIO1/01 .. Sorry I am not able to upload the document cause my internet is being very slow at the moment so it would probably take an hour to upload :(
anyways please can someone help me with this question:

2) Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder caused by one of a number of possible gene mutations. Prenatal testing can be used to determine whether or not a fetus has cystic fibrosis.
a) Name one method of prenatal testing and explain how it can be used to detect cystic fibrosis.

b) Describe one benefit and one risk, to a pregnant woman, of prenatal testing.

c) Discuss either one ethical issue or one social issue relating to the use of prenatal testing.

Replies would be highly appreciated, thank you in advance :)

Regards

nid404

Re: Edexcel Biology AS Question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 04:36:55 pm »
1) Amniocentesis

2) Benefit- Able to detect birth defects
    Risk- Fetal damage

3) Ethical issues of prenatal testing
The option to continue or abort a pregnancy is the primary choice after most prenatal testing. Rarely, fetal intervention corrective procedures are possible.
Are the risks of prenatal diagnosis, such as amniocentesis worth the potential benefit?
Some fear that this may lead to being able to pick and choose what children parents would like to have. This could lead to choice in sex, physical characteristics, and personality in children. Some feel this type of eugenic abortion is already underway (for example, sex selection) .
Knowing about certain birth defects such as spina bifida and teratoma before birth may give the option of fetal surgery during pregnancy, or assure that the appropriate treatment and/or surgery be provided immediately after birth.
Questions of the value of mentally or physically disabled people in society.
How to ensure that information about testing options is given in a non-directive and supportive way.
That parents are well informed if they have to consider abortion vs. continuing a pregnancy. See wrongful abortion.
(got this part off wikipedia...cuz i couldn't think of much)

Hope it helps

Offline Blizz_rb93

• SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 04:52:56 pm »
1) Amniocentesis

2) Benefit- Able to detect birth defects
    Risk- Fetal damage

3) Ethical issues of prenatal testing
The option to continue or abort a pregnancy is the primary choice after most prenatal testing. Rarely, fetal intervention corrective procedures are possible.
Are the risks of prenatal diagnosis, such as amniocentesis worth the potential benefit?
Some fear that this may lead to being able to pick and choose what children parents would like to have. This could lead to choice in sex, physical characteristics, and personality in children. Some feel this type of eugenic abortion is already underway (for example, sex selection) .
Knowing about certain birth defects such as spina bifida and teratoma before birth may give the option of fetal surgery during pregnancy, or assure that the appropriate treatment and/or surgery be provided immediately after birth.
Questions of the value of mentally or physically disabled people in society.
How to ensure that information about testing options is given in a non-directive and supportive way.
That parents are well informed if they have to consider abortion vs. continuing a pregnancy. See wrongful abortion.
(got this part off wikipedia...cuz i couldn't think of much)

Hope it helps

Thank you for your reply nid =)
but I would like to on part a) Amniocentesis .. what is it exactly? cause the question is worth 3 marks and has about 9 lines lol so i dont think just writing Amniocentesis would ensure me the 3 marks lol
but the other parts b) and c) I got :) thank you very much :D

nid404

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 04:57:01 pm »
lol...it said name...so :-[

ohk Amniocentesis is an invasive method of prenatal testing(done during 15-20 weeks of pregnancy). This test involves removing small amount of amniotic fluid (the fluid surrounding a developing fetus) from the uterus. The amniotic fluid can be tested to determine if the fetus has certain kinds of birth defects.

Offline Blizz_rb93

• SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 05:27:36 pm »
lol...it said name...so :-[

ohk Amniocentesis is an invasive method of prenatal testing(done during 15-20 weeks of pregnancy). This test involves removing small amount of amniotic fluid (the fluid surrounding a developing fetus) from the uterus. The amniotic fluid can be tested to determine if the fetus has certain kinds of birth defects.
lol it's okay :)
thank you very much nid!!!!!!:D:D:D rep for u (:

nid404

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 05:29:50 pm »
no prob mate :)