Author Topic: Should alchohol be banned globally, and treated just like heroine ?  (Read 4237 times)

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
I believe strongly that it should, it is the only drug in the world that you can buy legally. It has countless health and social hazards.

And also after reading this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/8516745.stm

I got very upset, because all children deserve a good childhood.

Please discuss, I know that it brings a lot of revenue to certain countries, but I strongly believe that we should chose a healthier 'next generation' than money, which can only bring short term benefit.

nid404

Re: Should alchohol be banned globally, and treated just like heroine ?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:02:43 am »
Nice topic  :D

I believe alcohol is a drug which causes fatal problems when used excessively and at a wrong age. Buying alcohol should require a permit according to me....& shops selling it must keep a record of people they sell to. They should stricty be warned by the government to not sell them to children below 18....cuz this is the law...buying and selling alcohol below 18 is prohibited and it has a huge sum as fine(but that doesn't compensate for he damage it causes)..Government should regularly have drives to check on these shops.
Alcohol below 18 can cause damage that you would never imagine and neglect..

On the other hand, alcohol also provides certain health benefits. like wine
Although some studies suggest that red wine offers additional health-protective effects due to its high antioxidant content, the benefits listed below can be obtained by drinking any type of alcohol in moderation.

Dementia: A French study found that people who drank daily in moderation were less likely to develop dementia than nondrinkers and those who only had one drink each week.
Gallstones: Some studies have suggested that those who drink moderately cut their risk of developing gallstones by about 50%.
Heart health: Moderate drinking reduces the risk of both heart disease and death by heart attack; studies have found variable risk reduction rates, ranging from 25% (various studies) to 40% (Nurses’ Health Study-a longitudinal study of 85,709 nurses).
Ischemic stroke: Moderate drinkers have a 70% reduced risk for ischemic strokes, a leading cause of disability and death. However, heavy drinking increases the risk of suffering ischemic strokes.
Type 2 diabetes: There are some indications that moderate drinking may reduce the risk for type 2 diabetes; however, consuming large quantities of alcohol actually increases the risk for this condition.
Vascular benefits: Numerous studies suggest a 25% to 40% risk reduction for peripheral vascular disease in moderate drinkers.
General health: A national (U.S.) study found that moderate drinkers are more likely to get enough sleep each night, exercise regularly and be at a healthy weight than nondrinkers and heavy drinkers.

And finally every parent must think through how best to introduce their children to the pleasures and pitfalls of alcohol consumption. It is important that children are given accurate and balanced advice about alcohol.

My opinion...I wouldn't want it to be banned but regulated well to ensure safety of children
Doctors advised my father to have occasional sips of beer to help ease his chest pain and help him recover from his vascular problems
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:06:58 am by nid404 »

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 09:27:51 am »
You would create a lot of crime like in prohibition.

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
    • Student Tech
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 09:58:06 am »
Well, its the same with drugs like heroine is it not, a lot of crime is caused.

Yes, I will always support drugs for medical reasons, such as your dad's Nid404, but, I am quite sure there are other medition out there that he can use.

Now, the reason being is that, it starts with a little, i tell my frnds that 1 sip is too many and 10000 sips are too few. Its the problem of getting addicted.

I have a lot of frnds, infact, from over 45 countries. I have been able to convince all of them to stop this.

Yes alchohol, can be used to treat medical problems, but there are other alternatives with less horrible side effects, maybe more expensive.

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 10:21:18 am »
Of course. Drinking alcohol does not add to your ego or status as some people think. It has no benifit. Only loss.

Choose non-alcoholic beers.

nid404

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 10:59:59 am »
True...one must take care of addiction...It's sad when you become a drunkard...people despise you cuz u talk rubbish...
I remember there was this guy in my class who used to do drugs and drink...One morning he busted the door open, disturbed the class and started talking about an accident on the road he witnessed(he made gestures of the two cars colliding and peculiar noises)....the class was rolling on the floor laughing but no one realized he was in such a hyped state he could do anything..even cause you harm...
I hate it when a person becomes high....it rather scares me...cause you get too hyper, make no sense and have no control whatsoever...

You must be very careful indeed....

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
    • Student Tech
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 12:27:12 pm »
Well its good to c u regularly posting again nid, i think i will take leave and study 4 a while.

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 03:45:09 pm »
Who do people scared of hyper kids go to America? When the kids there get hyper, they shoot people.

I dont believe you can stop people drinking and smoking just by banning them. Driugs are banned almost everywhere, but they are more available than ever. Drug use will soar in this recession. It will be one of the few growth industries in the next 5 years.

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
    • Student Tech
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 05:20:21 pm »
Yes, but think if drugs were legal, wud there not be more drug addicts?

If alchohol is made legal, the govt. could be made responsible for it and forced to take action.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:50:48 pm by The Dude 321 »

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 11:22:47 am »
How about paying a large sum of money to the state minister in order to ban alcohol and then setting up a non alcoholic beer factory

Offline angell

• SF Senior Citizen
  • -cuz it aint ever good enuf to be true!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 08:33:11 pm »
Anything taken in amount more than usual is dangerous - be if laughter, food, friends, trust..

Alcohol should definitely be banned - true, it may excite some even more - forbidden wine becoming the sweetest - but at least its a move from humanity.

take alcohol DOWN!
oh churiyaan charha dey..
oh mehndiya kara dey..
oh jhanjara pawan dey...
On the dance floor oh mundiye...Nach Baliye!

--~*O yaara dhol bajaake.. O yaara jashan mana ke!!

-----------------------------------------

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 04:30:42 am »
Lots of things are without any benefit except making people happy
It is too rooted in the society taking it out will make too much unnecessary chaos, and since everyone has already been drinking, black market will be booming in no time because everyone who has been dirnking will want to continue it. Drugs were administered pretty damn quickly and before they became available worldwide
Nothing is worse than being surrounded by people and yet you still feel lonely

Alpha

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 04:56:16 am »
It should be, but if it could have been, it would have been banned since a very long time.

It's easy to find solutions, and equally difficult, I would even go to say, practically impossible, to implement them.

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 08:13:58 am »
It should be, but if it could have been, it would have been banned since a very long time.

It's easy to find solutions, and equally difficult, I would even go to say, practically impossible, to implement them.

I cannot believe it, is Alpha actually taking my side in a debate?  :o :o :o
Nothing is worse than being surrounded by people and yet you still feel lonely

Alpha

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 08:20:39 am »
I cannot believe it, is Alpha actually taking my side in a debate?  :o :o :o

Oh you were on this side?  :P Didn't notice.  :D

You seem to be alone. Lemme just give you a hand.  ;)