Author Topic: edexcel or cambridge  (Read 1838 times)

Offline fleow92

edexcel or cambridge
« on: December 28, 2009, 07:05:29 pm »
hey guys

cambridge or edexcel?
could you please tell me the difference between the two...with respect to maths and physics

the syllabus, units and everything..

also could you tell me any tutors for these subjects(karachi)

thanks

Offline eightAs

• SF Immigrant
  • Math geek
Re: edexcel or cambridge
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:33:20 am »
Could you please specify the subjects, giving general advice is almost impossible.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:22:15 pm by eightAs »
Coldplay FTW!

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 06:16:49 pm »
This is an international forum. I would kindly like to ask you to refrain from asking about tutors that are available in a particular country even. You may ask, which one is more available, but kindly refrain from asking these specific questions.

Offline umair08

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 08:11:45 pm »
Edexcel is better than Cambridge in every sense but it is tougher then Cambridge cuz u will have to complete A-levels in grade 12 whereas in Cambridge u will complete it in grade 13
and regarding the city i dont know any school/college which has an edexcel syllabus as im also from the same city but living in another country.

Offline eightAs

• SF Immigrant
  • Math geek
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 04:02:18 am »
Edexcel is better than Cambridge in every sense but it is tougher then Cambridge cuz u will have to complete A-levels in grade 12 whereas in Cambridge u will complete it in grade 13
and regarding the city i dont know any school/college which has an edexcel syllabus as im also from the same city but living in another country.
Nonsense. It depends on the subjects really.
For Sciences, Cambridge has a planning, evaluation and analysis paper which is absent in most UK boards.
For Mathematics, you can go around the web asking for opinions from people who have done *both* CIE and Edexcel. I have a link(will be provided on request) to another forum where a person who has tried both CIE and Edexcel puts forward his views:

"Thirdly, it's your lucky day, I've done Maths and Further Maths with Edexcel and have done Maths with CIE hence I am in position to tell you what you're going to face."
"I take it you haven't started AS yet, so I'm start from the beginning. It's no rumour that CIE Mathematics is different to Edexcel, AQA or OCR Mathematics, it's a fact, and in my opinion CIE is harder.

Having that out of the way, I will say that CIE Maths includes some of the "easier" Further Mathematics topics in Edexcel, for example plane vectors and complex numbers and some silly difficult integrals which you don't have to learn but you will come across.

Plus I would say that S1 and S2 in CIE are pretty hardcore. Well they are certainly harder than Edexcel S1 since I did both and managed 93 UMS in Edexcel and a mere 36/50 raw on a practice CIE paper, hence you get the idea of it. "

Therefore, I'd suggest if you're an average student go for Edexcel and take advantage of its "easiness" or if you want to be stretched further go for Cambridge.

Plus, I do not think there is a compulsion to complete A Levels in year 12, maybe in your school. But in general, only AS Level has to be completed in year 12.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 04:06:51 am by eightAs »
Coldplay FTW!

Offline umair08

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 07:15:17 pm »
This is your opinion

But in general both are same the only difference is that Cambridge has a university behind it to support whereas Edexcel is a simple educational board.

This is not my opinion but an student recruiter from Middlesex university's opinion

Offline pranitsad

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 11:27:39 am »
Edexcel is the best. Anytime...

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 12:48:42 pm »
In my opinnion, if you want to test yourself to the max, then its CIE.

But, if you want something normal, for A level, its Edexcel.

Edexcel has the University of London and much more money backing it up than CIE. But CIE has the best professors and test makers in the world, so Edexcel cannot even come close.

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 01:44:41 pm »
I agree.CIE is harder and prepares you better for university

Offline Dr.Black Knight

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 09:50:53 am »
Nonsense. It depends on the subjects really.
For Sciences, Cambridge has a planning, evaluation and analysis paper which is absent in most UK boards.
For Mathematics, you can go around the web asking for opinions from people who have done *both* CIE and Edexcel. I have a link(will be provided on request) to another forum where a person who has tried both CIE and Edexcel puts forward his views:

"Thirdly, it's your lucky day, I've done Maths and Further Maths with Edexcel and have done Maths with CIE hence I am in position to tell you what you're going to face."
"I take it you haven't started AS yet, so I'm start from the beginning. It's no rumour that CIE Mathematics is different to Edexcel, AQA or OCR Mathematics, it's a fact, and in my opinion CIE is harder.

Having that out of the way, I will say that CIE Maths includes some of the "easier" Further Mathematics topics in Edexcel, for example plane vectors and complex numbers and some silly difficult integrals which you don't have to learn but you will come across.

Plus I would say that S1 and S2 in CIE are pretty hardcore. Well they are certainly harder than Edexcel S1 since I did both and managed 93 UMS in Edexcel and a mere 36/50 raw on a practice CIE paper, hence you get the idea of it. "

Therefore, I'd suggest if you're an average student go for Edexcel and take advantage of its "easiness" or if you want to be stretched further go for Cambridge.

Plus, I do not think there is a compulsion to complete A Levels in year 12, maybe in your school. But in general, only AS Level has to be completed in year 12.
an you give the link