Author Topic: biology Question  (Read 1073 times)

Offline aiyla

biology Question
« on: October 18, 2009, 06:33:36 pm »
this question was in Water topic .. please cud any one answer it ?

Q- plasma is a solution, cytoplasm is a colloid and blood is a suspension. Explain how the properties of solution, colloids and suspensions adapt these biological materials to carry out their functions in the body .

thanks

nid404

Re: biology Question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 06:47:53 pm »
this question was in Water topic .. please cud any one answer it ?

Q- plasma is a solution, cytoplasm is a colloid and blood is a suspension. Explain how the properties of solution, colloids and suspensions adapt these biological materials to carry out their functions in the body .

thanks

haven't done anything about it as yet
will let you know if i get something....By the way check the sites put up for revision and notes

Offline sweetsh

• Retired Adminstrator
  • SF V.I.P
  • *Freedom
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:58:43 pm »
Aiyla this is a question in the book =)
Well here is it..
Plasma is the liquid part of blood that travels around the body, exchanging substances with body cells, since plasma is mostly water, it's ideally adapted for part of the cell where many reactions happen, many of the subsatances that react are ionic or polar and so dissolve in the water of the cytoplasm, but some substances such as many proteins are non polar and these form colloids in the water and can move throughout the cytoplasm. Blood travels around the body cells, the red and white blood cells and platelets are suspended in the plasma each of which has an important role that the plasma cannot carry out.
They remain in suspension as the blood is constantly moving and this enables them to be transported easily

nid404

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:00:00 pm »
Aiyla this is a question in the book =)
Well here is it..
Plasma is the liquid part of blood that travels around the body, exchanging substances with body cells, since plasma is mostly water, it's ideally adapted for part of the cell where many reactions happen, many of the subsatances that react are ionic or polar and so dissolve in the water of the cytoplasm, but some substances such as many proteins are non polar and these form colloids in the water and can move throughout the cytoplasm. Blood travels around the body cells, the red and white blood cells and platelets are suspended in the plasma each of which has an important role that the plasma cannot carry out.
They remain in suspension as the blood is constantly moving and this enables them to be transported easily

thanka sweetsh :)

Offline sweetsh

• Retired Adminstrator
  • SF V.I.P
  • *Freedom
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 07:02:09 pm »
You welcome, I think this is the model answer from the teacher's book -i'm not sure-