Author Topic: Best Universities for medicine in the U.S.?  (Read 3396 times)

Offline kkkid

• SF Immigrant
Best Universities for medicine in the U.S.?
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:24:41 pm »
john hopkins? .. its a good one buh kinda expensive, dont u think?

Offline omega007

• SF Geek
Re: Best Universities for medicine in the U.S.?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:54:10 pm »
Yes, John Hopkins School of medicine is currently ranked 2nd out of all medical schools. But Harvard medical school is the best one in the world. Almost all medical schools are expensive in the world. In the U.S. you probably need to spend around $200,000 to accomplish a four year medicine course.

Hope this was helpful. Feel free to ask any questions you like. By the way, what are you studying currently?

;D

Offline kkkid

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 01:04:20 pm »
thanks for the info! .. is it a four year course or a nine year? oh and what kinda qualifications are needed to get accepted?

i am currently doing my IGz, i know its kinda early to decide my career buh studin medicine is what i dream about so yea
oh and one more thing, should i need to do SAT and TOEFL to get to U.S.?

thanks again :)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:06:27 pm by Seiko »

Offline omega007

• SF Geek
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 02:46:20 pm »
First of all you have to do an undergraduate course in a U.S. college. This means that you have to earn a four year Bachelors degree. You can do it in any subject of interest such as Biochemistry, Molecular Biology etc. At the same time you have to fulfill your requirements for the 'Pre-medicine' course. After 4 years of completion you're awarded the Bachelors degree (till now you're not into the real medicine course). Then you have to enroll into a medicine course for four years at med school. You're awarded an M.D. degree unlike the British M.B.B.S./M.B.B.ch degree. Upon graduation you have to look for residency at hospitals which takes about 5-7 years to complete before becoming a REAL doctor. Total you need about 13-15 years of complete study before practice.

You've to enter college right after your A-Levels. To apply to a good college you have to earn great grades at your 9th, 10th, 11th, IGCSE's and A-Level's because colleges will require ALL of them. You can't go to a good college if you get lower than an 'A' and that means your chances for med school will also be reduced. What grades do you usually get at school? If you're an average or bad student, don't even think about medicine in the U.S. because it's tough, expensive and takes a much longer course period. You need to be the top student of your class and have tonnes of extracurriculars and leaderships. You also have to get excellent scores in the SAT and TOEFL for admission.

Which country are currently in? How many IGCSE's have you taken/going to take and what are they? What do you plan to do for A-Levels? Feel free to ask any questions you would like to know.

;D  ;D  ;D

Offline kkkid

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 04:32:52 pm »
woow 13-15 years? that sounds a bit long yea? My grades are pretty good in school, my teacher says that im an A-A* student except math though; however i did really well in my recent IGCSE exam and hopefully i will get an A. To be honest i am a B student in chemistry, is chemistry really necessary in medicine? Why?

Im living abroad in ABU DHABI, U.A.E ... and i attend Al Nahda, one of the best schools out here

well im taking 7 subjects for my IGz which are math, chemistry, biology, physics, english as a second language, computer, and accounts. Regarding the levels, im planning to take about 4 subjects depending on the choices that the school offer

Offline omega007

• SF Geek
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 08:02:03 pm »
I don't think you can enter a GOOD college with a 'B' in Chemistry because chemistry is one of the main requirements for pre-medicine. Chemistry is given preference over all subjects even Biology. Try retaking Chemistry if you get a 'B'.

Offline omega007

• SF Geek
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 08:36:30 pm »
Chemistry is the main course of pre-medicine. U.S. colleges have semesters of courses and the course requirements for chemistry are very high. You usually need to take Organic chemistry along with other chemistry topics. Your chemistry results will be considered to a big extent by admissions officers.

Offline kkkid

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 06:51:23 am »
oh
yea i will at least try to get an A if not i will retake it

thanks again mate!

Offline omega007

• SF Geek
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 09:41:15 am »
Aim for an A* not an A  ;D

Offline Benj Nigel

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 08:09:22 am »
Hello everyone,

Here im putting some useful information,
                           The best school for medicine in the US is John Hopkins University, followed by Harvard, Columbia, and the University of Washington at St. Louis. To apply to medical school, you need a 4 year college degree, and you dont usually go to the same school for medicine and your undergrad degree, same for your residency. Pretty much every 4 year school offers premed, so go wherever you want..Wish u a good luck for your future and carrier friends!

Fire Science University

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 08:35:53 am »
Sod the 15 year degree. Im off to be a binman.

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 02:01:30 pm »
John hopkins is gr8

Offline sweetsh

• Retired Adminstrator
  • SF V.I.P
  • *Freedom
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 03:50:54 pm »
Harvard is great too

nid404

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 11:56:14 am »
Representatives from John Hopkins are coming to my school on the 30th of september....i will let you know more about it then

In fact we have 30 universities coming to my school from the U.S on that day...plz be patient until then....i will give you as much information as i can

Offline Diablo

• SF Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 08:06:03 pm »
thanks for the info! .. is it a four year course or a nine year? oh and what kinda qualifications are needed to get accepted?

i am currently doing my IGz, i know its kinda early to decide my career buh studin medicine is what i dream about so yea
oh and one more thing, should i need to do SAT and TOEFL to get to U.S.?

thanks again :)

If you want that question answered, you should probably choose a few schools that you would like to apply to. After getting your bachelor's degree, you apply right away to Medical school. They won't take your high school qualifications into consideration, but your University's. Of course you'll have to take those medical school tests like MCAT and everything.

What i'm trying to say is, choose an undergrad university from now if you want to think ahead. If you are planning to attend university in America, you must take the TOEFL since you aren't American and your native Language isn't English. SAT's are a must too (every school requires different standardized tests).