Author Topic: CHEM AND BIO HELP AND TIPS HERE  (Read 330283 times)

Offline SNA

• SF Immigrant
Re: CHEM AND BIO HELP AND TIPS HERE
« Reply #1290 on: May 19, 2010, 03:17:55 pm »
ok so i was just wondering, the only really "right" way to study would be to go through ALLLLL the past papers right? because i'm REALLY bad at experiments, i NEVER understand them, and i don't know what to do! i'm a more math-y person, not cut out for the sciences  :'(  :-X  :-[

for paper 6, i guess tat would be the best thing to do!tats what i did for chem!
and they tend to repeat the same question again!so..yea...if you can,do as much past papers as u can! :)
help you to understand better too! ;D

Offline Shazizzzle

• SF Citizen
« Reply #1291 on: May 19, 2010, 03:28:32 pm »
@SNA: thanks

Also, can anyone please explain the purpose of a water bath? I don't get what it is, what does it do? I've never done this stuff before, never even heard of a WATER BATH!

When you want to heat the reagent in a test tube, instead of directly heating it over the bunsen burner, you use a beaker filled with boiling water, and you place the test tube in that beaker, rather than heating it directly.
This beaker is called the 'water bath'.
It's mostly used as a safety precaution to avoid test tube from cracking on direct contact. Also to allow even heating as the entire water is heated equally and so all the contents of the test tube may indirectly be heated, safely.

Especially when heating flammable liquids, such as ethanol, which may ignite on direct heat or flame contact, a water bath is used, as a safer indirect way of 'smooth' heating.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:32:03 pm by Shazizzzle »
•$#@2™•

Offline Shazizzzle

• SF Citizen
« Reply #1292 on: May 19, 2010, 03:29:54 pm »
So, Vin, got any notes or requirements for the bio practical paper that may be of use to us? Thanks! :)
•$#@2™•

Offline Vin

• SF V.I.P
    • Theory of Life - A new skew.
« Reply #1293 on: May 19, 2010, 03:36:50 pm »
So, Vin, got any notes or requirements for the bio practical paper that may be of use to us? Thanks! :)

im sorry i had some great ones .. lost them last year !! jus a couple of presentations .. no use for p6 =\ sorry ..

Offline Shazizzzle

• SF Citizen
« Reply #1294 on: May 19, 2010, 03:58:28 pm »
So, what do we have to revise? :S
Umm,
1. Food Tests
2. Classification of organisms
3. Sexual and Asexual reproduction in plants
4. Seed Germination
5. Transpiration
6. Magnification: Length of image/length of object.

Note: If the object HAS ALREADY BEEN MAGNIFIED. i.e If the object has also written next to the picture, x300 or similar, and they ask you to find the magnification of the REAL THING, then, you use:

Magnification=Length of image/length of object X magnification of object
•$#@2™•

Offline luv3life

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #1295 on: May 19, 2010, 04:14:00 pm »
Shazizzle: What are the main stuff under the following topics~
1. Classification of organisms
2. Sexual and Asexual reproduction in plants
3. Seed Germination
4. Transpiration

I'm really bad at experiments. :( Help, please? Pretty please? :)
:) LiVe LiFe As If EaCh DaY mAy Be YoUr LaSt :)

Offline aangel42

« Reply #1296 on: May 19, 2010, 04:32:23 pm »
So, what do we have to revise? :S
Umm,
1. Food Tests
2. Classification of organisms
3. Sexual and Asexual reproduction in plants
4. Seed Germination
5. Transpiration
6. Magnification: Length of image/length of object.

Note: If the object HAS ALREADY BEEN MAGNIFIED. i.e If the object has also written next to the picture, x300 or similar, and they ask you to find the magnification of the REAL THING, then, you use:

Magnification=Length of image/length of object X magnification of object

@Shazzizle, please clarify the "Note" part at the bottom (about magnification), I don't understand it :(
:)

Offline mdwael

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #1297 on: May 19, 2010, 04:40:39 pm »
I need november 2001 MS paper 6 biology code 0610 anyone got it? Can you please upload it or give me a link?
"We all want to be different, which makes us all the same"

Offline Shazizzzle

• SF Citizen
« Reply #1298 on: May 19, 2010, 04:41:03 pm »
Shazizzle: What are the main stuff under the following topics~
1. Classification of organisms
2. Sexual and Asexual reproduction in plants
3. Seed Germination
4. Transpiration

I'm really bad at experiments. :( Help, please? Pretty please? :)

Yeah, we all are ^^. :/

Well, under classification, we've got the group of invertebrates. i.e The arthropod group. consisting of arachnids, crustaceans, myriapods and insects. I've seen questions in the paper about their external features, so you should revise those.
Then, you can have a look at the vertebrate classes, amphibians, fish, mammals, birds, reptiles. Those are possible.

In plants, you should know the basic methods of Asexual reproduction. They don't usually ask many such related questions, but still, you know, the runners, rhizomes, tubers, corns, bulbs, cutting, grafting etc.
Tubers, i.e the potato has been asked before.

Seed germination is important. You need to know how the dry mass of a seed changes when it germinates.
There's a general trend: The mass initially decreases as the nutrients stored in the seed cotyledon are made us of for growth.
However, once the shoot and leaves develop, the mass then increases, as the plant grows, and also as photosythesis can take place thus producing more glucose which in turn may be used for respiration to form ATP energy and thus growth, so an overall increase in mass.

They've asked quite a lot of questions relating to transpiration. Mainly related to wilting. You need to know turgidity, and thus that the cells are flaccid during wilting i.e plasmolysis has occurred and the plant has lost it's support via the transpiration stream. Then there's knowing of the stomata i.e when they are open and when they are closed.

Recently, there are questions relating to food tests. You need to be able to describe tests.
You can easily gain free marks if you
1. Mention grinding up the samples to increase surface area
2. Talk about taking the same apparatus i.e fair tests and controlled variables for all
3. And repeating for accuracy
4. And if you mention a safety precaution like gloves, water bath, goggles, lab coat etc.
Remember including such points.

And usually, the questions relate to comparison. Comparing one fruit with another. If you see the mark schemes, you'll come to know, that all you have to do is describe what you see. Every detail can be written. Even the size and shape!

Good Luck!
•$#@2™•

Offline Shazizzzle

• SF Citizen
« Reply #1299 on: May 19, 2010, 04:47:14 pm »
@Shazzizle, please clarify the "Note" part at the bottom (about magnification), I don't understand it :(

Okay, say there's a picture of an apple.
You've got to draw a larger one.
Then they ask you to measure both the length of the object, AND your image.
Suppose the object is: 5 cm
The image you drew is: 10 cm

Now they ask you to calculate the magnification. Say they tell you that the picture was magnified x100 times. (sometimes they write this statement there. At other times, you have to look carefully at the picture. It usually has x100 or similar written near it.
So, they ask you to find the magnification of THE REAL SIZE OF THE APPLE and the image you've drawn.

So, magnification= image/object X mag. of pic.
                       = 10/5 X 100
                       = x200

If, however the pic they give you IS OF THE ORIGINAL SIZE and is not itself initially magnified, you don't need to do this.
•$#@2™•

Offline Raywin

• SF Geek
« Reply #1300 on: May 19, 2010, 04:53:08 pm »
Yeah, we all are ^^. :/

Well, under classification, we've got the group of invertebrates. i.e The arthropod group. consisting of arachnids, crustaceans, myriapods and insects. I've seen questions in the paper about their external features, so you should revise those.
Then, you can have a look at the vertebrate classes, amphibians, fish, mammals, birds, reptiles. Those are possible.

In plants, you should know the basic methods of Asexual reproduction. They don't usually ask many such related questions, but still, you know, the runners, rhizomes, tubers, corns, bulbs, cutting, grafting etc.
Tubers, i.e the potato has been asked before.

Seed germination is important. You need to know how the dry mass of a seed changes when it germinates.
There's a general trend: The mass initially decreases as the nutrients stored in the seed cotyledon are made us of for growth.
However, once the shoot and leaves develop, the mass then increases, as the plant grows, and also as photosythesis can take place thus producing more glucose which in turn may be used for respiration to form ATP energy and thus growth, so an overall increase in mass.

They've asked quite a lot of questions relating to transpiration. Mainly related to wilting. You need to know turgidity, and thus that the cells are flaccid during wilting i.e plasmolysis has occurred and the plant has lost it's support via the transpiration stream. Then there's knowing of the stomata i.e when they are open and when they are closed.

Recently, there are questions relating to food tests. You need to be able to describe tests.
You can easily gain free marks if you
1. Mention grinding up the samples to increase surface area
2. Talk about taking the same apparatus i.e fair tests and controlled variables for all
3. And repeating for accuracy
4. And if you mention a safety precaution like gloves, water bath, goggles, lab coat etc.
Remember including such points.

And usually, the questions relate to comparison. Comparing one fruit with another. If you see the mark schemes, you'll come to know, that all you have to do is describe what you see. Every detail can be written. Even the size and shape!

Good Luck!

Wow... this really helps thx! but one thing: Wht type of questions do they ask for the vertebrate classes dealing with the amphibians, reptiles, fish, mammals and all? Only the external features or anything else in particular?

Thanks! :D
;D

Offline thenewkid™

• legendary
  • SF Geek
  • ^funny baby =P
« Reply #1301 on: May 19, 2010, 04:56:24 pm »
there is one question in which you have to draw an organism shown in a pic. i am really bad at drawing :(
do u guys hv any points? or am i lost? :(
<3 freekicks <3
<3 football <3
<3 lamborghini <3

Offline coralandd

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #1302 on: May 19, 2010, 05:02:15 pm »
anyone..wats the use of a heat screen?? bio question..please repp ASAP!!
live in today for it is the tomorrow of yesterday

Offline luv3life

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #1303 on: May 19, 2010, 05:06:07 pm »
Shazizzzle: thanks a billion! That reaaallly helped me a lot. If I get A* in Biology, I'll owe it all to you. I'm gonna pray hard for you tomorrow. ;D I shall go through the vertabrates, invertabrates, asexual reproduction, and germination now. Everything else, I know. Good night. All the best! God Bless You! :) ? lol
:) LiVe LiFe As If EaCh DaY mAy Be YoUr LaSt :)

Offline Shazizzzle

• SF Citizen
« Reply #1304 on: May 19, 2010, 05:09:34 pm »
Shazizzzle: thanks a billion! That reaaallly helped me a lot. If I get A* in Biology, I'll owe it all to you. I'm gonna pray hard for you tomorrow. ;D I shall go through the vertabrates, invertabrates, asexual reproduction, and germination now. Everything else, I know. Good night. All the best! God Bless You! :) ? lol

Good Luck! :) Haha, yeah, no problem. :)
Thanks! :)
•$#@2™•