Author Topic: CHEM AND BIO HELP AND TIPS HERE  (Read 330494 times)

Offline WARRIOR

• SF Master
  • Egyptian And so damn proud . I love you jesus!
Re: CHEM AND BIO HELP AND TIPS HERE
« Reply #690 on: May 14, 2010, 08:15:58 pm »
http://www.freeexampapers.us/IGCSE/Chemistry/CIE/2007%20Jun/0620_s07_qp_6.pdf

5)c) It says that u have to add nitric acid on the salt... Wait a minute... can an acid react with a salt 0.o and if yes, under what conditions, bla bla

its not a salt..its a carbonate !!!!!!!  so when u put in in acid...effervescent ..bubles of a collurless gas and solid decrease in size
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:19:17 pm by Kimo Jesus »
NO secrets to SUCCESS , it is the result of 1.HARD WORK 2.GOOD PREPARATION 3.LEARNING FROM FAILURE
But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward-Balboa

Offline Vin

• SF V.I.P
    • Theory of Life - A new skew.
« Reply #691 on: May 14, 2010, 08:17:20 pm »
So an acid CAN react with a salt.... but bases cant right?

Whoa who told u tht ?? NaOH can react .. and so do other strong bases ..
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:18:59 pm by ~VIN1094~ »

Offline J.Darren

• SF Geek
« Reply #692 on: May 15, 2010, 05:34:21 am »
Also in electrolysis its Metal in cathode and non metal at anode while in cell its the more reactive in cathode and less reactive on anode...
Electrolysis : Negative ions from the electrolyte goes to Anode (Oxidation), Posititve ions from the electrolyte goes to Cathode (Reduction)

Cells : The more reactive metal undergoes Oxidation, whereas the Posititve ions from the electrolyte undergoes Reducation at the weaker metal electrode.
Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Fastal

• SF Citizen
« Reply #693 on: May 15, 2010, 05:54:15 am »
can someone explain fuel cells with hydrgen?

Offline WARRIOR

• SF Master
« Reply #694 on: May 15, 2010, 06:13:12 am »
can someone explain fuel cells with hydrgen?

wel this is new in the syllabus right??

anyway
the main idea : producting electricity from hydrogen and oxygen adn the product being water!!

Consists of a chamber with a POROUS ANODE  AND A POROUS CATHODE. AND IN  BETWEEN IS THE ELECTROLYTE ( conc. KOH aq )

Hydrogen is pumped towards the ANODE (- ) and oxygen is pumped towards the CATHODE  ( +) ..the electrolyte becomes ELCTROLYSED ..

reacion at ANODE   H2 + 2OH ---> 2H2O + 2e-

at cathode :  O2 +2H2O + 4e- ---> 4OH-

overall reaction H2 + O2  ---> H20

By the way ..electrode cotain nickel catalyst

Doesnt make any sence to me to be honest..its something i drew from class and i learned by heart...if u  understand it explain it to me ::) but trust me the material i just gave you ^ is 100% ..all you need to know ..but i dont understand anythign about it

i  mean since when was  teh anode  - and cathode +???
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:18:08 am by Kimo Jesus »
NO secrets to SUCCESS , it is the result of 1.HARD WORK 2.GOOD PREPARATION 3.LEARNING FROM FAILURE
But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward-Balboa

Offline WARRIOR

• SF Master
« Reply #695 on: May 15, 2010, 06:23:58 am »
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/alternative-fuels/fuel-cell2.htm

this helps explain !...but the anode reaction adn cathode reaction is LIES? or is it that  mine is wrong ? hmm now im confused ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? >:(

nid404

« Reply #696 on: May 15, 2010, 06:29:13 am »
Fuel cell

These are Voltaic cells in which the reactants are continuously supplied to the electrodes. These are designed to convert the energy from the combustion of fuels such as H2, CO, CH4, etc. directly into electrical energy. The common example is hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell as described below,
In this cell, hydrogen and oxygen are bubbled through a porous carbon electrode into concentrated aqueous sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. Hydrogen (the fuel) is fed into the anode compartment where it is oxidised. The oxygen is fed into cathode compartment where it is reduced. The diffusion rates of the gases into the cell are carefully regulated to get maximum efficiency. The net reaction is the same as burning of hydrogen and oxygen to form water. The reactions are
At anode              :  2 [ H2(g) + 2OH-] (aq) --->2H2O (I) + 2e-
At cathode           : O2 (g) + 2H2O(I) + 4e-   --->    4OH- (aq)
Overall reaction  : 2H2 (g) + O2 (g)   --->  2H2O (I)               
Each electrode is made of porous compressed carbon containing a small amount of catalyst ( Pt, Ag or CoO ). This cell runs continuously as long as the reactants are fed.

Advantages
(1) High efficiency : The fuel cells convert the energy of a fuel directly into electricity and therefore, they are more efficient than the conventional methods of generating electricity on a large scale by burning hydrogen, carbon fuels. Though we expect 100 % efficiency in fuel cells, so far 60 – 70% efficiency has been attained. The conventional methods of production of electrical energy involve combustion of a fuel to liberate heat which is then used to produce electricity. The efficiency of these methods is only about 40%.

(2) Continuous source of energy : There is no electrode material to be replaced as in ordinary battery. The fuel can be fed continuously to produce power. For this reason, H2 - O2  fuel cells have been used in space crafts.
(3) Pollution free working : There are no objectionable byproducts and, therefore, they do not cause pollution problems. Since fuel cells are efficient and free from pollution, attempts are being made to get better commercially

Offline WARRIOR

• SF Master
« Reply #697 on: May 15, 2010, 06:46:12 am »
Fuel cell

These are Voltaic cells in which the reactants are continuously supplied to the electrodes. These are designed to convert the energy from the combustion of fuels such as H2, CO, CH4, etc. directly into electrical energy. The common example is hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell as described below,
In this cell, hydrogen and oxygen are bubbled through a porous carbon electrode into concentrated aqueous sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. Hydrogen (the fuel) is fed into the anode compartment where it is oxidised. The oxygen is fed into cathode compartment where it is reduced. The diffusion rates of the gases into the cell are carefully regulated to get maximum efficiency. The net reaction is the same as burning of hydrogen and oxygen to form water. The reactions are
At anode              :  2 [ H2(g) + 2OH-] (aq) --->2H2O (I) + 2e-
At cathode           : O2 (g) + 2H2O(I) + 4e-   --->    4OH- (aq)
Overall reaction  : 2H2 (g) + O2 (g)   --->  2H2O (I)               
Each electrode is made of porous compressed carbon containing a small amount of catalyst ( Pt, Ag or CoO ). This cell runs continuously as long as the reactants are fed.

Advantages
(1) High efficiency : The fuel cells convert the energy of a fuel directly into electricity and therefore, they are more efficient than the conventional methods of generating electricity on a large scale by burning hydrogen, carbon fuels. Though we expect 100 % efficiency in fuel cells, so far 60 – 70% efficiency has been attained. The conventional methods of production of electrical energy involve combustion of a fuel to liberate heat which is then used to produce electricity. The efficiency of these methods is only about 40%.

(2) Continuous source of energy : There is no electrode material to be replaced as in ordinary battery. The fuel can be fed continuously to produce power. For this reason, H2 - O2  fuel cells have been used in space crafts.
(3) Pollution free working : There are no objectionable byproducts and, therefore, they do not cause pollution problems. Since fuel cells are efficient and free from pollution, attempts are being made to get better commercially

wooooow cheeeeeers but a few questions :P

how is anode the negative and cathode posotive :/?
and where does OH- come from? from electrolyte is it?
adn what happens first...the anode from 2h2o + 2e- and it gives thhose electrons to the cathode to reducs the oxygen ?? what is the process exactly ?

Offline Fastal

• SF Citizen
« Reply #698 on: May 15, 2010, 06:57:02 am »
wooooow cheeeeeers but a few questions :P

how is anode the negative and cathode posotive :/?
and where does OH- come from? from electrolyte is it?
adn what happens first...the anode from 2h2o + 2e- and it gives thhose electrons to the cathode to reducs the oxygen ?? what is the process exactly ?

same question

nid404

« Reply #699 on: May 15, 2010, 07:14:30 am »

Offline WARRIOR

• SF Master
« Reply #700 on: May 15, 2010, 07:25:54 am »
i have a fair and simple explanation..

HYDROGEN JOIN WIHT THE OH- to form h2o + 2e-...this gives out electrons..which eneter the electrode makin it NEGATIVE!!!!!!
^ this explains the equation an anode.....

Electrons go to the other elctrode WHERE OH- IS MADE  ( thts why its a non ending process !  8))...at the other electrode O2 + H20  + 4E- to form OH-...why is is postovi  ..cz your takin elecron away from it... cheers!

Offline J.Darren

• SF Geek
« Reply #701 on: May 15, 2010, 07:49:17 am »
I am afraid that the suggested explainations above are incorrect.

Anode : H2  ---> 2H+ + 2e-
Cathode : O2 + 2H2O + 4e- ---> 4OH-

Overall reaction : H+ + OH- ---> H2O
2H2 + O2 ---> 2H2O
Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline WARRIOR

• SF Master
« Reply #702 on: May 15, 2010, 08:04:27 am »
I am afraid that the suggested explainations above are incorrect.

Anode : H2  ---> 2H+ + 2e-
Cathode : O2 + 2H2O + 4e- ---> 4OH-

Overall reaction : H+ + OH- ---> H2O
2H2 + O2 ---> 2H2O
i understand the first 1

but the cathode...? where does the 2h2o come from?

Offline Fastal

• SF Citizen
« Reply #703 on: May 15, 2010, 08:15:52 am »
i understand the first 1

but the cathode...? where does the 2h2o come from?

same question

nid404

« Reply #704 on: May 15, 2010, 09:09:37 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmVnIIgDA7o&feature=PlayList&p=9D48A68D6EBE2C5B&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=8

watch this...

It may seem stupid :P  But it'll help you understand the mechanism