Author Topic: Ashura and Story of Hussain (May peace and blessings be upon him)  (Read 5532 times)

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."

Muharram is the first month of the Islamic calendar. It is one of the four sacred months of the year in which fighting is prohibited.

Muharram is a month of remembrance that is often considered synonymous with the event of Ashura. Ashura, which literally means the "Tenth" in Arabic, refers to the tenth day of Muharram. It is well-known because of historical significance and mourning for the martyrdom of Imam Husayn ibn Ali (AS), the grandson of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
Husayn (AS) and his family and followers (consisting of 72 people, including women, children and aged people) were killed by army of Yazid I on his orders, Surviving members of the family of Husayn and that of his followers were taken captive and marched to Damascus and imprisoned there.

~ Islamic events taking place during Muharram

-01 Muharram, the Islamic New Year is observed by Muslims.
-01 Muharram, Commemoration of Muharram which marks the anniversary of the Battle of Karbala.
-02 Muharram, Martyrdom of Umar ibn al-Khattab (RA), the 2nd Sunni Caliph of the Rashidun Caliphate.
-02 Muharram, Husayn ibn Ali (AS) enters Karbala and establishes camp. Yazid's forces are present.
-07 Muharram, access to water was banned to Husayn ibn Ali (AS) by Yazid's orders.
-10 Muharram, referred to as the Day of Ashurah was the day on which Husayn ibn Ali was martyred in the Battle of Karbala. Shia Muslims spend the day in mourning, whilst the Sunni Muslims fast on this day commemorating the rescue of the people of Israel by Musa (Moses) from Pharaoh.
-12 Muharram 95 AH Ali ibn Husayn, 4th Twelver Imam, day of Shahid and also the 3rd day of Shuhadai kerbala observed.
-15 Muharram 1297 AH: Demise of Muhammad Sirajuddin Naqshbandi.
-25 Muharram 95 AH Ali ibn Husayn, 4th Shia Imamah, day of Shahid.
-27 Muharram, Mesum was killed.

What is Ashura ?

In the month of Muharram 61 AH (approx. 20 October 680 AD), an event took place in Iraq at a place known as Kerbala on the bank of the river Euphrates. It seemed in those days insignificant from the historical point of view. A large army which had been mobilised by the Umayyad regime besieged a group of persons numbering less than a hundred and put them under pressure to pay allegiance to the Caliph of the time and submit to his authority. The small group resisted and a severe battle took place in which they were all killed.

It appeared at that time that like hundreds of similar events, this battle would be recorded in history and forgotten in time. However, the events that occurred on the 10th day of Muharram in Kerbala were to become a beacon and an inspiration for future generations.

Who is Hussain ?

The leader of the small band of men who were martyred in Kerbala was none other than Husain (A), son of Ali bin Abi Talib (A) and grandson of the Holy Prophet (S). Who was Husain? He was the son of Fatima (A) for whom the Holy Prophet (S) said, "Husain is from me and I am from Husain. May God love whoever loves Husain."

With the passing away of his brother Hasan(A) in 50 AH, Husain (A) became the leader of the household of the Holy Prophet (S). He respected the agreement of peace signed by Hasan (A) and Muawiya, and, despite the urging of his followers, he did not undertake any activity that threatened the political status quo. Rather he continued with the responsibility of looking after the religious needs of the people and was recognised for his knowledge, piety and generosity. An example of the depth of his perception can be seen in his beautiful du'a on the day of Arafat, wherein he begins by explaining the qualities of Allah, saying:

" (Oh Allah) How could an argument be given about Your Existence by a being whose total and complete existence is in need of you? When did you ever disappear so that you might need an evidence and logic to lead (the people) towards You? And when did You ever become away and distant so that your signs and effects made the people get in touch with you? Blind be the eye which does not see You (whereas) You are observing him. What did the one who missed You find? And what does the one who finds You lack? Certainly, the one who got pleased and inclined toward other than You, came to nothingness (failed)."

On the other hand, we have Yazid, whose father (Muawiya) and grandfather (Abu Sufyan - the arch-enemy of the Prophet) had always tried to sabotage the mission of the Holy Prophet, and who showed his true colour by stating in a poem, "Bani Hashim had staged a play to obtain kingdom, there was neither any news from God nor any revelation."

Mas'udi writes that Yazid was a pleasure-seeking person, given to wine drinking and playing with pets. It is no wonder that Husain's response to Yazid's governor, when asked to pay allegiance to Yazid was, "We are the household of the prophethood, the source of messengership, the descending-place of the angels, through us Allah had began (showering His favours) and with us He has perfected (His favours), whereas Yazid is a sinful person, a drunkard, the killer of innocent people and one who openly indulges in sinful acts. A person like me can never pledge allegiance to a person like him ..."

The revolution of Husain (A) was an Islamic movement spearheaded by one of the great leaders of Islam. The principles and laws of Islam demanded that Husain (A) act to warn the Ummah of the evil situation which it was in, and to stand in the way of the deviating ruler. As Husain (A) himself remarked when he left Madina for the last time, "I am not rising (against Yazid) as an insolent or an arrogant person, or a mischief-monger or tyrant. I have risen (against Yazid) as I seek to reform the Ummah of my grandfather. I wish to bid the good and forbid the evil."

Hussain (A) was killed on the battlefield as he did Sajdah. His head was removed from his body on the plains of Kerbala, mounted on a spear, and paraded through villages and towns as it was taken to Damascus and presented at the feet of Yazid.

Why remember Ashura ?

Why is Husain (A) regarded as the "leader of the martyrs" ? It is because he was not just the victim of an ambitious ruler. There is no doubt that the tragedy of Kerbala, when ascribed to the killers, is a criminal and terrible act. However when ascribed to Husain (A) himself, it represents a conscious confrontation and a courageous resistance for a sacred cause. The whole nation had failed to stand up to Yazid. They had succumbed to his will, and deviation and regression towards the pre-Islamic ways were increasing.

Passiveness by Husain (A) in this situation would have meant the end of Islam as we know it. Thus Husain (A) took upon himself the responsibility of the whole nation. The greatest tragedy was that one who stood up for the noblest of causes, the defence of Islam, was cut down in so cruel a manner.

It is for this reason that the sacrifice of Husain (A) is commemorated annually throughout the Muslim world. Our sorrow never abates as we relive the tragedy. As Allama Iqbal says in his Baqiyat (in Urdu):

Ronay wala hoon Shaheed-e-Kerbala key gham men main,
Kya durey maqsad na dengey Saqiye Kausar mujhey

I am one who weeps at the plight of the Martyr of Kerbala
Won't the reward be given to me by the Keeper of Kauser (Imam Ali (A)

The commemoration of Ashura on the 10th of Muharram every year serves to remind us of the sacrifices of the family of the Prophet (S). It also makes us aware of the people, then and now, who tried to destroy Islam and the family of the Prophet (S) and all that they stood for - as well as those who watched, listened and did nothing.

~ source

~ Any questions regarding Ashura ... please send me a PM, I don't want this thread turning into an Islamic debate.
I feel it's my duty to make sure that the true story of our beloved Imam Husayn (AS) is reached to those who do not know the truth behind the significance of Ashura.

Iltemas-e-Dua
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:35:57 pm by Amelia »
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
Re: Muharram ~ 1433 ~ Ashura
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:51:34 pm »
I'd appreciate if the thread could be made sticky, at least until Muharram is over. :)

Offline ~cornelia~

• ~patience*
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • ~when one life meets another~something new is born
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 02:36:10 pm »
beautiful work romeesa!

thanks for sharing this, people will become more aware of ashura with this :D

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
Mark Twain

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:49:49 pm »
beautiful work romeesa!

thanks for sharing this, people will become more aware of ashura with this :D
JazakAllah khair, hon. :)

InshaAllah. :) I am even doing a presentation on it. Hopefully, it'll all go well. Pray for me, sis. :D

Offline Tohru Kyo Sohma

• Destination Jannah
  • SF Master
  • :)
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 04:26:18 pm »
JazaAllah Khair Romeesa!
May God bless you!

Offline ~cornelia~

• ~patience*
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • ~when one life meets another~something new is born
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:00:16 pm »
JazakAllah khair, hon. :)

InshaAllah. :) I am even doing a presentation on it. Hopefully, it'll all go well. Pray for me, sis. :D
awesome-ness!
InshAllah you will make the best of it! :)

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
Mark Twain

Offline Crooked

• The Psycho Lunatic.
  • Global Moderator
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 02:48:59 am »
Great stuff, MashAllah. Keep em coming, lady. <3

I am proud of yuh. :D
<3 La Ilaha Illa-Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah. <3

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 01:18:56 pm »
Great stuff, MashAllah. Keep em coming, lady. <3

I am proud of yuh. :D
Aw. Shukran. :D

I will share my presentation here when I am done making it, InshaAllah. :)

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 04:13:23 pm »
”Qullo yaumin Ashura Qullo arzeen Karbala”

“Everyday is Ashura, and every land is karbala!”

These are great, immortal words, mostly misunderstood and misused. Some think it means lamenting everyday, but it isn’t so! What was the role of the land of Karbala on the Ashura Day? All lands should be like that! The part or role of Karbala was this: The Master of the Matrys accompanied by a few men rose up against the tyranny and oppression of the cruel regime of Yazid. , against the emperor of the time, were all killed, thus they did not submit to cruelty and this meant a defeat for the oppressor. And, the motto” Every day is Ashura” means that we all must stand and fight against oppression every day if it so exists, the command is unlimited in terms of time and location or place. The Karbala event occured on a site that was limited and number of challengers-72 persons. But this is symbolic. All lands should perform the role that Karbala did, that is, people must resist oppression whenever and wherever it occurs, and fight it without regards to forces available.

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 07:55:31 pm »
Latmiyats

~ English :

[yt=425,350]Du89_3hea3c&feature=related[/yt]

[yt=425,350]1aiNHl1ipNQ[/yt]

[yt=425,350]gNWPdpQZMWI&feature=related[/yt]

~ Farsi :

[yt=425,350]4hZByPKVopE[/yt]

[yt=425,350]V02b_SRQsmA[/yt]

[yt=425,350]hThoul92Ytk[/yt]

[yt=425,350]b5aur_5u4Qk[/yt]

[yt=425,350]MI4hDz4gQDQ[/yt]

~ Urdu :

[yt=425,350]TgMxCU0mtTM&feature=related[/yt]

[yt=425,350]QOAycmDNvbc[/yt]

[yt=425,350]eLremHHVPAA[/yt]

~ Arabic :

[yt=425,350]Gi6UQkM9Lcs[/yt]

[yt=425,350]Z6RGqRpKcpc[/yt]

[yt=425,350]QN3RLbjwABs&feature=related[/yt]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 05:29:46 pm by Romeesa-Chan »

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 04:32:15 pm »
A Gift from Imam Al-Husayn (A.S.)

On the 10th day of Muharram, known as the day of ‘Aashura, in the year 61 A.H. when Imam Abu ‘Abdillahil Hussein (as) came into the tent to bid farewell to his family members, he held the hand of his sick son, Ali ibn al-Hussein (as) and pressed it against his chest. He (as) then said,

“O son! I am teaching you a dua’ which you should remember. Angel Jibrael taught it to my grandfather the messenger of Allah who passed it to my mother Fatima. Whenever you have a special need or are faced with any calamity or crises, or are inflicted with any grief or hardship, then recite the
following supplication”:

*Dua attached*

By the truth of Yaseen (a title of the Holy Prophet) and the Quran full of wisdom And for the sake of Taa-haa (another title of the Holy Prophet) and the great Quran O He Who is able to fulfil the desires of those ask. O He Who knows what is in the heart. O He Who banishes sorrow from the sorrowful. O He Who dispels grief from those who grieve. O He Who is merciful to old men. O He Who provides for infants. O He Who needs not to be explained. Send blessings upon Muhammad and his progeny and fulfil for me…(mention your wishes)

Transliteration:

BIHAQQI YASEEN WAL QUR-AANIL ‘HAKEEM WA BIHAQQI TAA-HAA WAL QUR-AANIL ‘ADHEEM YAA MAN YAQDIRU ‘ALAA ‘HAWAA-IJIS-SAA-ILEEN YAA MAN YA’LAMU MAA FID-DHAMEER YAA MUNAFFISAN ‘ANIL MAKROOBEEN YAA MUFARRIJAN ‘ANIL MAGHMOOMEEN YAA RAA-‘HIMA SHAYKHIL KABEER YAA RAAZIQAT TIFLIS-SAGHEER YAA MAN LAA YAHTAAJU ILAT-TAFSEER SALLI ‘ALAA MUHAMMADIN WA AALI MUHAMMADIN WAF-‘AL BEE …….(mention your wishes)

Mafateeh al-Jinaan, page no. 380

Ask your Hajaats after reading this Dua'. Insha'Allah your Duas' will be accepted May Allah swt fulfill all your legitimate wishes with the Wasila of this Dua'

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 09:01:41 pm »
Remembrance of Hussain (AS)

[yt=425,350]Py1id5clTJg[/yt]

Offline Ukhti-R

• Striving for Jannah
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 02:13:24 pm »
WHOAAAAAAA. What is this? :S We are fasting on this two days because its a sunnah and not because we are celebrating the harsh martyrdom of a notable figure in Islam

Yawm Al Ashhora according to authentic Hadiths is about Musa (A.S).
 In Sahih Bukhari [1865]: 'The prohet (saw)came to the jews fasting on the day of Ashoora and he said, 'What is this?'
They said, 'This is a good day, this is the day when Allah saved the children of Israel from their enemy and Moosa (a.s) fasted on this day.'. The prohet (saw) said, ' We are closer to Moosa than you.' So he fasted on this day and told the people to fast.'

So, from this hadith we can gather that the day of Ashoora is a great day as Allah saved Moosa and his people and drowned Pharaoh and his people. Moosa fasted on this day so that is why we fast on this day.
However, because the Jews also fast on this day, and for the Muslims t distinguish themselves from them, it is recommended to fast the day before or after Yawm al Ashoora. [Muslim 1916]

And cummon- Sahih Bukari & Sahih Muslim- you can't get more authentic than that.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:16:12 pm by Ukhti-R »
"...And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him." [65: 2-3]

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
Re: Ashura and Story of Hussain (May peace and blessings be upon him)
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 06:51:38 am »
Ziyarat Ashura

[yt=425,350]28-YI7mZltc[/yt]

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
Re: Ashura and Story of Hussain (May peace and blessings be upon him)
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 03:21:47 pm »
Finished making my presentation on Ashura. Anyone interested to see it, lemme know ... I'll just e-mail it you. (: