Author Topic: Top Misconceptions about Islam  (Read 7319 times)

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
Top Misconceptions about Islam
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:22:54 am »
Islam is the most misunderstood religion in the world today. Despite the fact that 1.2 Billion people follow Islam and it is the fastest growing religion in the world.

1 - Muslims are violent, terrorists and/or extremists.

This is the biggest misconception in Islam, no doubt resulting from the constant stereotyping and bashing the media gives Islam.
When an unknown attacks a mosque in the name of Judaism, a Catholic IRA sets off a bomb in an urban area, or Serbian Orthodox militiamen rape and kill innocent Muslim civilians, these acts are not used to stereotype an entire faith. Never are these acts attributed to the religion of the perpetrators. Yet how many times have we heard the words 'Islamic, Muslim fundamentalist. etc.' linked with violence.

Politics in so called "Muslim countries" may or may not have any Islamic basis. Often dictators and politicians will use the name of Islam for their own purposes. One should remember to go to the source of Islam and separate what the true religion of Islam says from what is portrayed in the media. Islam literally means 'submission to God' and is derived from a root word meaning 'peace'.  

Islam may seem exotic or even extreme in the modern world. Perhaps this is because religion doesn't dominate everyday life in the West, whereas Islam is considered a 'way of life' for Muslims and they make no division between secular and sacred in their lives. Like Christianity, Islam permits fighting in self-defense, in defense of religion, or on the part of those who have been expelled forcibly from their homes.  It lays down strict rules of combat which include prohibitions against harming civilians and against destroying crops, trees and livestock.

NOWHERE DOES ISLAM ENJOIN THE KILLING OF INNOCENTS.

The Quran says:
"Fight in the cause of God against those who fight you, but do not transgress limits.  God does not love transgressors." (Quran 2:190)

"If they seek peace, then seek you peace. And trust in God for He is the One that heareth and knoweth all things." (Quran 8:61)

War, therefore, is the last resort, and is subject to the rigorous conditions laid down by the sacred law.  The term 'jihad' literally means 'struggle'.  Muslims believe that there are two kinds of jihad.
The other 'jihad' is the inner struggle of the soul which everyone wages against egotistic desires for the sake of attaining inner peace.

2 - Islam oppresses women

The image of the typical Muslim woman wearing the veil and forced to stay home and forbidden to drive is all too common in most people thoughts. Although some Muslim countries may have laws that oppress women, this should not be seen as coming  from Islam.  Many of these countries do not rule by  any kind of Shari'ah (Islamic law) and introduce their own cultural standpoints on the issue of  gender equity.    

Islam on the other hand gives men and women different roles and equity between the two is laid down in the Quran and the example of the Prophet (peace be upon him).
Islam sees a woman, whether single or married, as an individual in her own right, with the right to own and dispose of her property and earnings.
A marriage gift is given by the groom to the bride for her own personal use, and she keeps her own family name rather than taking her husband's.

Both men and women are expected to dress in a way that is modest and dignified. The Messenger of God (peace be upon him) said: "The most perfect in faith amongst believers is he who is best in manner and kindest to his wife."

Violence of any kind towards women and forcing them against their will for anything is not allowed. A Muslim marriage is a simple, legal agreement in which either partner is free to include conditions. Marriage customs thus vary widely from country to country. Divorce is not common, although it is acceptable as a last resort.  According to Islam, a Muslim girl cannot be forced to  marry against her will: her parents simply suggest young men they think may be suitable.

3 - Muslims worship Mohammad (SAW)

"There is nothing worthy of worship but Allah (God). And Muhammad is His messenger." - The Holy Qur'an.
Muhammad (PBUH) is the chief interpreter of the Quran and the standardizer of Islamic practices. There is no room for worship of any person, place or thing other than God in Islam.
Muslims love the prophet, but that love should never be mistaken for worship.

4 - Muslims don't believe in Jesus or any other prophets

Muslims respect and revere Jesus, upon him be peace, and await his Second Coming.
They consider him one of the greatest of God's messengers to mankind. A Muslim never refers to him simply as 'Jesus', but always adds the phrase 'upon him be peace'.
The Qur'an confirms his virgin birth (a chapter of the Quran is entitled 'Mary'), and Mary is considered the purest woman in all creation.

The Quran describes the Annunciation as follows:
"Behold!" the Angel said, "God has chosen you, and purified you, and chosen you above the women of all nations. O Mary, God gives you good news of a word from Him whose name shall be the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, honoured in this world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near to God. He shall speak to the people from his cradle and in maturity, and shall be of the righteous." She said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me?" He said: "Even so; God creates what He wills. When He decrees a thing, He says to it, "Be!" and it is." (Qur'an 3:42-47)

Jesus 'upon him be peace' was born miraculously through the same power, which had brought Adam 'upon him be peace' into being without a father:
"Truly, the likeness of Jesus with God is as the likeness of Adam. He created him of dust, and then said to him, 'Be!' and he was." (Qur'an 3:59)

During his prophetic mission Jesus 'upon him be peace' performed many miracles. The Qur'an tells us that he said: "I have come to you with a sign from your Lord: I make for you out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, and breath into it and it becomes a bird by God's leave. And I heal the blind, and the lepers, and I raise the dead by God's leave." (Qur'an 3:49)

Neither Muhammad (pbuh) not Jesus 'upon him be peace' came to change the basic doctrine of the brief in One God brought by earlier prophets, but to confirm and renew it.
In the Qur'an Jesus 'upon him be peace' is reported as saying that he came: "And I have come confirming that which was before me of the Taurat (Torah), and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden to you; and I have come to you with a proof from your Lord, so fear Allah and obey me." (Qur'an 3:50)

The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: "Whoever believes there is no god but God, alone without partner, that Muhammad (pbuh) is His messenger, that Jesus is the servant and messenger of God, His word breathed into Mary and a spirit emanating from Him, and that Paradise and Hell are true, shall be received by God into Heaven."
(Hadith related by Bukhari)

-----------------------

There are more mentioned but I only posted these.

Taken from: http://www.jannah.org/articles/misc.html

Sources: (Islam: A Brief Introduction, Islamic Circle of North America,
Jamaica, New York)

(Understanding Islam and the Muslims, The Islamic Affairs Department
The Embassy of Saudi Arabia, Washington DC, 1989.)

(Badawi, Jamal, Polygamy in Islamic Law, The Muslim Students'
Association of the United States & Canada,)

(Islam and Farrakhanism Compared, The Institute of Islamic Information
and Education, Chicago, Illinois)

(Jihad Explained, The Institute of Islamic Information & Education,
Chicago, Illinois)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:31:42 am by Ang3l »
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
Re: Top Misconceptions about Islam
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:35:14 am »
Great. Amazing thread.
Definitely one of the most important and serious issues taken as a misconception.
JazakAllah khair, sister <3
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline Shoshou..Mony

• Retired Admin~!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • I WILL make a change inshAllah. =]
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:13:02 am »
'Women are inferior to men' is one of the most common misconception about Islam. The article below seeks to remove the misconception INSHALLAH

Unfortunately there are many muslims who believe that because Islam gives men the right of having authority over their wives, then this means that they are superior to women and have more honor than them. Men are not superior to women and women are not superior to men in Islam due to gender. Allah Almighty makes it perfectly clear that those superior in His sight are those who have more taqwa (God fearing consciousness)...

"O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise each other) **Verily the most honored of you in the sight of God is (he who is) the most righteous of you**..." [Surah 49:13]

In Islam, men and women DO NOT HAVE EQUAL RIGHTS. Their rights are different because of their nature. Their rights are not equal, rather they are EQUALLY BALANCED.

Islam believes in equality between men and women - Equality does not mean identicallity.

Suppose in a classroom 2 students, student 'A' and 'B', during an examination both come out first - Both secure 80% marks - 80 out of 100

Out of the hundreds of students, 2 come out first 'A' and 'B'

When you analyze the question paper, the question paper has 10 different questions, each carrying 10 marks.

In question 1 student 'A' got 9 out of 10, and student 'B' got 7 out of 10 - So in question 1 student 'A' was higher than student 'B'.

In question 2, student 'A' got 7 out of 10 and student 'B' got 9 out of 10,
- Student 'B' was higher than student 'A' in question number 2.

In question 3 both of them got 8 out of 10, both were equal

So when we add up the marks of all the ten questions, both student 'A' and 'B' got 80 out of 100

So in short, student 'A' and student 'B' are over all equal

In some question 'A' is higher than 'B', in some question 'B' is higher than 'A', in others both are equal

In the same fashion, taking the example that since Allah has given man more strength - Suppose a thief enters the house will you tell, 'I believe in women's rights - I believe in women's rights' - will you tell your mother, your sister and your daughter, to go and fight the thief?'

No, but natural you'll fight him - If required they may interfere - under normal circumstances since Allah has given you more physical strength, you have to go and tackle the thief.

So here, in physical strength, man is one degree higher than the woman

Let us take another example where. where it comes to giving respect to the -where it comes to respecting the parents - The children are supposed to respect the mother 3 times more than the father.

Here the women have one degree higher than the men - Over all both equal

"..And they (women) have rights (over their husbands as regards living expenses, etc.) similar (to those of their husbands) over them (as regards obedience and respect, etc.) to what is reasonable, but men have a degree (of responsibility) over them.." [2:228]

a) The things which men can do and women cannot

* Point no: 1 (Men are protectors of women as a whole)

Allaah says
“Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means”[al-Nisa’ 4:34]

* Point no: 2 (Awrah)

A woman’s ‘awrah includes her entire body. The least that can be said is that she should not uncover anything except her face and hands

Allaah says:
“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies. That will be better, that they should be knownso as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft?Forgiving, Most Merciful”[al-Ahzaab 33:59]

* Shaykh Muhammad Salih Al Munajjid said in Islam QA fatwa no: 1105

The Qur’aan commands women to wear clothes that are different from those worn by men, because of the differences in the ways each sex is tempted by the other. The temptation posed by men is less than the temptation posed by women, so the clothes that women should wear are different than the clothes that men wear. It makes no sense to tell women to expose the parts of the body that men are allowed to expose, because of the differences in the temptation posed by a woman’s body and a man’s body (end quote)

* Point no: 3 (Obligatory prayers)

Prayer in the mosque is obligatory for men, but not for women; a woman’s prayer is in her house but she can pray in Masjid as well.

* Point no: 4 (Jihad)

Jihad (Jihad bil Saif/fighting)is not obligatory for women, but they can help if men are in need.

b) Things which women can do and men can not

* Point no: 1 (Silk and Gold)

a) Abu Dawood (3535) narrated that ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) took a piece of silk in his right hand and a piece of gold in his left and said, ‘These two are forbidden for the males of my ummah.’” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 3422.
b) “These are haraam for the males of my ummah and permitted for the females.” (Reported by Ibn Maajah, 2/1189).

* Point no: 2 (Rights of Mother)

A Mother has 3 times more right over her children then the father
Proof: Saheeh Muslim Book 032, Number 6180:.Abu Huraira reported that a person came to Allah, 's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and said: Who among the people is most deserving of a fine treatment from my hand? He said: Your mother. He again said: Then who (is the next one)? He said: Again it is your mother (who deserves the best treatment from you). He said: Then who (is the next one)? He (the Holy Prophet) said: Again, it is your mother. He (again) said: Then who? Thereupon he said: Then it is your father

* Point no: 3 (Mahr)

Man gives the dower to his wife even if it is mountain of Gold.
Proof: Surah 4:4 (And give the women (on marriage) their dower as a free gift)

* Point no: 4 (Monthly periods of women)

Women are commanded in their monthly periods to leave prayers.
Mu'adhah said: "I asked Aishah: Why must we make up the fasts missed due to our menstruation, but not the prayers [ missed through menstruation] ?" She said, "That was what the Messenger of Allah told us to do. We were ordered to make up the fasts, and we were ordered not to make up the prayers." [ Fiqh as-Sunnah 1.71a ]

* .Point no: 6(Martyr when a woman die during child birth)

Shaykh Muhammad Salih al Munajjid said in IslamQA Fatwa no: 8800

If a woman dies with a child in her womb, or she dies during childbirth or after childbirth but within the period of nifaas (post-partum bleeding), she is considered to be a shaheedah in sha Allaah. according to hadith of Maalik (1/233) and Abu Dawood, 3/482)]

Males and Females are equal as per rewards are concern. (unfortunately few muslims think that in matters of deed men have the authority)

[004:124] And whoever does righteous good deeds, male or female, and is a true believer in the Oneness of Allah (Muslim), such will enter Paradise and not the least injustice, even to the size of a Naqeera (speck on the back of a datestone), will be done to them.

[016:097] Whoever works righteousness, man or woman, and has Faith, verily, to him will We give a new Life, a life that is good and pure and We will bestow on such their reward according to the best of their actions.

[040:040] "He that works evil will not be requited but by the like thereof: and he that works a righteous deed - whether man or woman - and is a Believer- such will enter the Garden (of Bliss): Therein will they have abundance without measure.

WHAT ARE TEACHINGS OF OTHER RELIGIONS ON THIS ISSUE:-

MOSTLY CHRISTIANS ask this question and say that in islam women are oppressed ... so if any christian ask u this then for a counter reply

"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man she must be quiet." [The bible 1 Timothy 2:11-12]

"And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel. To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." (THE BIBLE Genesis 3:12-13)

"The birth of any daughter is a loss" (Ecclesiasticus 22:3, New Jerusalem Bible)

Thats the teaching of their book...there is no such thing in quran or sunnah

If a hindu accuse islam on this issue then for counter

“O Husband protect the son to be born. Do not make him a women” [Atharva Ved 2/3/23]

“Lord Indra himself has said that women has very little intelligence. She cannot be taught” [Rig Ved 8/33/17]

‘Yajur Ved (Taitriya Sanhita)- “Women code says that the women are without energy. They should not get a share in property. Even to the wicked they speak in feeble manner” [Yajur Ved 6/5/8/2]

These verses should not be used in order to bash their religion but they can be used as counters if they attack islam :)

CONCLUSION:-

Men and women are equal in the sight of Allah..but Men and women both have their field of specialization. Men can not interfere in pregnancy,breastfeeding,we?aring gold and silk and other things, and women should not be involved in fighting the enemy (if it is not needed) and other things and they are equal in gaining reward, Whatever is permitted to both of them should be done within the guidelines of Islamic law.

"Their Lord responded to them: "I never fail to
reward any worker among you for any
work you do, be you MALE OR FEMALE,
YOU ARE EQUAL TO ONE ANOTHER…"

Quran 3:195

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=161243323938997&set=a.159354490794547.40990.146615072068489&type=1&theater

^ I love the above article so much. It's a beautiful one.

As for Angel, Jazaka Allah khair sister for posting such thread. InshAllah God leads us all to the right path. +rep. =]

Sometimes, ALLAH breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes, ALLAH allows pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes, ALLAH sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes, ALLAH takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything HE gave us.

When Allah leads you to the edge of difficulty... either ALLAH will catch you when you fall or ALLAH will teach you how to fly! =]

Please make them strong ya Allah...

Romeesa-chan...<3

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 01:19:30 am »
A part of it is from Dr.Zakir naik's speech :D I just saw it few days back.

Equality does not mean identicallity
Exactly..!!

Thanks for sharing :D
Great article..!

If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Offline Shoshou..Mony

• Retired Admin~!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 01:28:22 am »
A part of it is from Dr.Zakir naik's speech :D I just saw it few days back.
Exactly..!!

Thanks for sharing :D
Great article..!

Oh really? :D I never knew. I read it on FB and was VERY grateful I did. Now I use it to clear any misconceptions.

Can you send me the link for Dr.Zakir Naik speech? I'd love to listen to it. =]

Jazaka Allah khair 7abibity.  :-*

Sometimes, ALLAH takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything HE gave us.

When Allah leads you to the edge of difficulty... either ALLAH will catch you when you fall or ALLAH will teach you how to fly! =]

Romeesa-chan...<3

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 01:38:49 am »
I have a Zakir Naik video saved in my lappy regarding violence misconception in Islam! I will share tomorrow, IA. (:

Offline Shoshou..Mony

• Retired Admin~!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 01:43:06 am »
I have a Zakir Naik video saved in my lappy regarding violence misconception in Islam! I will share tomorrow, IA. (:

Awesome! Jazaki Allah khair love. :D

I have the smoking one which is really great. =]

Romeesa-chan...<3

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 01:46:11 am »
Awesome! Jazaki Allah khair love. :D

I have the smoking one which is really great. =]
JazakAllah khairon <3

Yuh can post that one on my 'quit smoking' thread. :P ;)

Offline Shoshou..Mony

• Retired Admin~!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 01:47:06 am »
JazakAllah khairon <3

Yuh can post that one on my 'quit smoking' thread. :P ;)

:O

I haven't read it yet! I will now inshAllah. =]

Romeesa-chan...<3

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:51:03 am »
:O

I haven't read it yet! I will now inshAllah. =]
Haha. Please do. Me no like smokers. >:( :P

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 05:47:50 pm »
Oh really? :D I never knew. I read it on FB and was VERY grateful I did. Now I use it to clear any misconceptions.

Can you send me the link for Dr.Zakir Naik speech? I'd love to listen to it. =]

Jazaka Allah khair 7abibity.  :-*
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEMrS9sg9TM

I dont remember which video part is it exactly  :-\

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 09:17:44 pm »
Whoever kills and innocent soul or spreads corruption in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. Al-Maeda [5:32]

~Dr.Zakir Naik - Terrorism and Jihad - an Islamic Perspective.Part (1/13)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N-6XHlLDmE&feature=player_embedded

Offline iluvme

• Smile, the world will smile back. :)
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 06:56:08 am »
+ rep Angel. Loved this article.

It is also heartening to note that despite the many attacks made by the media on Islam people still revert to Islam. Take a look,
http://chillopedia.com/sports/wayne-parnell-converts-to-islam/
I believe in killing the messenger. Know why? It sends  message.
~Damon Salvatore~

Offline Tohru Kyo Sohma

• Destination Jannah
  • SF Master
  • :)
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 09:54:19 am »
+ rep Angel. Loved this article.

It is also heartening to note that despite the many attacks made by the media on Islam people still revert to Islam. Take a look,
http://chillopedia.com/sports/wayne-parnell-converts-to-islam/
he changed to islam,MashAllah
this is very good
thanks iluvme for sharing

Offline [Ash]

• ^-^
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • 24/7
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 08:44:03 pm »
great thread mashallah.!! :)\

repped!

All i Ever Did Was Love...And All You Did Was Lie... Never Understood It.But Never Asked You Why!?!?