Author Topic: ~ 10 tips to fight depression ~ || Best article read so far!  (Read 9348 times)

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
~ 10 tips to fight depression ~ || Best article read so far!
« on: August 01, 2011, 04:04:40 pm »
10 tips to fight depression

Feeling down in the dumps, depressed, having the blues: these are just some of the terms used to describe a feeling of hopelessness and despair that can hit even the most optimistic of us at some point in our lives. While clinical depression requires proper professional treatment, the occasional feeling of sadness due to factors ranging from economic difficulty to harassment and discrimination can be helped through some simple spiritual practices. Here are a couple that can help:

1. Look at those below you

The Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, said:
“Whenever you see someone better than you in wealth, face or figure, you should look at someone who is inferior to you in these respects” (Bukhari, Muslim).

If you are reading this article online, consider this: you are one of the lucky set of human beings on the planet who can afford a computer and internet connection or at least have access to one. The United Nations Development Program’s 2007 Human Development Report notes that there are still around 1 billion people living worldwide at the margins of survival on less than $1 a day, with 2.6 billion living on less than $2 a day. Also consider that in the Quran (14:7), God says that if you are thankful to Him for what you have, He blesses you with more.

2. Serve your fellow human beings

The best way to thank God is to serve humanity, especially those who have less than you. Serving others is uplifting and rewarding. It helps us gain a better perspective on life’s challenges, making us realize how very often, are problems seem so small compared to the awesome difficulties others face. That’s why when the Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, and the Muslims were a small, poor and persecuted community, they used to give to the poor even more. They understood that when you are generous when you have less, you achieve the perspective of a winner. You are focused on the bigger picture.

3. Read Surah Ad Dhuha

According to one report, after the Prophet had begun receiving revelation from God, at one point a long period of time passed with no such communication from Allah. As a result, the Makkans ridiculed the Prophet and he became severely depressed. That’s when this chapter was revealed (Quran 93: 1-11). The chapter is a beautiful reminder to us to see life in the greater scheme of things, to be grateful for what we have and to never give up striving for what is right. This chapter of the Quran can be considered a direct recipe from God for depression.

4. Turn to God in all situations

Remember that nothing can harm you without the consent of God. While you must take care of yourself, rely on God and know that He is always with you and only He can give you strength in difficult times. Also remember that He will help you can come out of a trying situation as a better person if you deal with it positively.

5. Remember God’s Names

God has many beautiful Names which describe His attributes and powers. These are reminders of His Love, Mercy, Forgiveness, Justice, Strength and much, more. Supplicating to God using these Names reminds us that God has these attributes more than any other being and that we can and must rely on Him during good and bad times.

6. Say ‘Hasbun Allahu wa Ni’ mal Wakeel‘

This has been translated as “God suffices me and He is the best guardian.” It is an excellent way of reminding us that whatever worries we have or problems we face, God has the answer and cure to all of them and is the only One who can really do what is best for us.

7. Make sure when you leave home

You read this Dua: ‘In the name of Allah, I place my trust in Allah, and there is no might nor power except with Allah.’
Bismillahe tawakkaltu alAllahe la haula wa la quwwata illa biAllah.

8. Take your spiritual break from the world
Five times a day taking a break away from school, work or other life activities to spend a few minutes to remember God helps you reconnect with the Creator of the Universe, fortify your soul and strengthen your resolve to live a better life that is in tune with your faith and principles.

9. End your day on a good note

Shakespeare once wrote a play entitled “All’s well that ends well.” That’s good advice for dealing with depression too. End a day that may have been riddled with challenges and frustrations by making Wudu before going to bed, thinking of God and the Prophet and counting every blessings you have.

10. Stop Shaytan in his tracks

Shaytan is the source of many of our negative emotions. It’s his job to make us feel pessimistic and to despair of any good in life. When you feel these feelings coming on, stop him dead in his tracks: say Aoutho billahi minash Shaytan ir Rajeem (I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed satan).

I pray, Almighty will remove these pains from my heart,and make this post usefull for muslims brotehrs and sisters…
Ameen!

source:http://www.islamicexperiences.com/2011/06/10-tips-to-fight-depression.html
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:07:27 pm by Romeesa-Chan »
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
Re: ~ 10 tips to fight depression ~ || Best article read so far!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:46:58 pm »
Amazing article!

The best way to avoid being depressed is to turn to God, it really is!

Something I would like to share; a small part from the book "Dont be sad"

Look around you, to the right and to the left. Do you not see the afflicted and the unfortunate? In every house there is mourning and upon every cheek run tears.
How many tribulations and how many people persevere with patience? You are not alone in your troubles, which are few compared to those of others. How many sick people remain bedridden for years while suffering from unspeakable pain?
How many men and women have lost their dear children in the prime of youth? How many people are troubled or tormented?

Find consolation with those that are worse off than you; know that this life is like a prison for the believer, an abode of grief and sadness.

You must also compare your difficulties with the difficulties of those around you, and with those that have come before you: you should realize that you are in good shape relative to them, and that you have merely been pricked by tiny difficulties.
So praise Allah for His kindness, be thankful for what He has left for you, seek recompense from Him for what He has taken, and seek consolation with those that are afflicted.

You have a perfect example in the Prophet (PBUH).
The entrails of a camel were placed upon his head; his feet bled; his face was fractured; he was besieged in a mountain pass until he was forced to eat tree leaves; he was driven out of Makkah; his front tooth was broken in battle; his innocent wife was accused of wrongdoing; seventy of his Companions were killed; he was bereaved of his son and of most of his daughters; he would tie a stone around his stomach to lessen the pangs of hunger; and he was accused of being a poet, a magician, a soothsayer, a madman, and a liar - all at the same time.
Yet Allah protected him throughout these severe trials and tribulations.
Prophet Zakariyah (Zacharia) was killed, Prophet Ya~ya (John) was slaughtered, Prophet Moosa (Moses) was afflicted with great trials, Prophet Ibraheem (Abraham) was thrown in the fire, (may peace be upon them all), and the Imams of righteousness followed them upon this path. 'Umar was assassinated, as was 'Uthmaan and 'Ali (may Allah be pleased with them all).
Many scholars of the past have been flogged, imprisoned, or tortured.

“Or think you that you will enter Paradise without such [trials} as came to those who passed away before you? They were afflicted with severe poverty, ailments and were shaken" - (Qur 'an 2: 214)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 05:51:04 pm by Ang3l »
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline Tohru Kyo Sohma

• Destination Jannah
  • SF Master
  • :)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 05:49:54 pm »
JazaAllah Khairun romeesa-nii chan for sharing

Offline Tohru Kyo Sohma

• Destination Jannah
  • SF Master
  • :)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 05:53:02 pm »
Amazing article!

The best way to avoid being depressed is to turn to God, it really is!

Something I would like to share; a small part from the book "Dont be sad"

Look around you, to the right and to the left. Do you not see the afflicted and the unfortunate? In every house there is mourning and upon every cheek run tears.
How many tribulations and how many people persevere with patience? You are not alone in your troubles, which are few compared to those of others. How many sick people remain bedridden for years while suffering from unspeakable pain?
How many men and women have lost their dear children in the prime of youth? How many people are troubled or tormented?

Find consolation with those that are worse off than you; know that this life is like a prison for the believer, an abode of grief and sadness.

You must also compare your difficulties with the difficulties of those around you, and with those that have come before you: you should realize that you are in good shape relative to them, and that you have merely been pricked by tiny difficulties.
So praise Allah for His kindness, be thankful for what He has left for you, seek recompense from Him for what He has taken, and seek consolation with those that are afflicted.

You have a perfect example in the Prophet (PBUH).
The entrails of a camel were placed upon his head; his feet bled; his face was fractured; he was besieged in a mountain pass until he was forced to eat tree leaves; he was driven out of Makkah; his front tooth was broken in battle; his innocent wife was accused of wrongdoing; seventy of his Companions were killed; he was bereaved of his son and of most of his daughters; he would tie a stone around his stomach to lessen the pangs of hunger; and he was accused of being a poet, a magician, a soothsayer, a madman, and a liar - all at the same time.
Yet Allah protected him throughout these severe trials and tribulations.
Prophet Zakariyah (Zacharia) was killed, Prophet Ya~ya (John) was slaughtered, Prophet Moosa (Moses) was afflicted with great trials, Prophet Ibraheem (Abraham) was thrown in the fire, (may peace be upon them all), and the Imams of righteousness followed them upon this path. 'Umar was assassinated, as was 'Uthmaan and 'Ali (may Allah be pleased with them all).
Many scholars of the past have been flogged, imprisoned, or tortured.

“Or think you that you will enter Paradise without such [trials} as came to those who passed away before you? They were afflicted with severe poverty, ailments and were shaken" - (Qur 'an 2: 214)

JazaAllah Khairun for sharing

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 05:53:38 pm »
Thank yuh fer reading, Ang3l and Tohru! :D

Ang3l, that was GREAT! Thanks fer sharing! It was simply wonderful! =]

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 05:58:20 pm »
Thank yuh fer reading, Ang3l and Tohru! :D

Ang3l, that was GREAT! Thanks fer sharing! It was simply wonderful! =]
Thanks to you as well for sharing all the wonderful stuff :D
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 06:00:10 pm »
Thanks to you as well for sharing all the wonderful stuff :D
No problem! :D

I wanna share all I have so that in case I die tonight, my stuff shared remains! :D

Amelia

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 06:11:09 pm »
It was by far the best article. We can all take a peak at it during those 'down' times in our lives.

Thanks alot, Romessa and Angel.  ;D

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 06:44:12 pm »
It was by far the best article. We can all take a peak at it during those 'down' times in our lives.

Thanks alot, Romessa and Angel.  ;D
Agreed. I loved it <3

Welcome <3

Offline Shoshou..Mony

• Retired Admin~!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • I WILL make a change inshAllah. =]
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:06:32 am »
I still haven't read your article but I'm going to post some magic words which ALWAYS worked for me. Sub7ana Allah during the MOST difficult times in my life, during the tears, the pain, the hate and the regret... taking Allah's path was only the healing..the only cure. I tried everything and I mean EVERYTHING and my depression would just increase. Sub7ana Allah only when I became close to God I started seeing the light.

^ The above is from an experience and it's not just a rumor spread or lies said. Remembering how lost I was bring tears to my eyes because it took me long to realize that all I had to do was to follow Islam and understand it. I was blind...completely blind...

Alhamdolilah alhamdolilah alhamdolilah a million times for leading me and making me stand on my on feet again when I was just living in the darkness..when I was alive but not living..when life seemed only a burden and a curse. Alhamdolilah..alhamdolilah..alhamdolilah.

Anyways the magic words? =]

It was reported from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No person suffers any anxiety or grief, and says:

‘Allaahumma innee ‘abduka wa ibn ‘abdika wa ibn amatika, naasiyati bi yadika, maadin fiyya hukmuka, ‘adlun fiyya qadaa’uka, as’aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw ista’tharta bihi fi ‘ilm il-ghaybi ‘andak an taj’ala al-Qur’aana rabee’ qalbi wa noor sadri wa jalaa’a huzni wa dhahaaba hammi

Sometimes, ALLAH breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes, ALLAH allows pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes, ALLAH sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes, ALLAH takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything HE gave us.

When Allah leads you to the edge of difficulty... either ALLAH will catch you when you fall or ALLAH will teach you how to fly! =]

Please make them strong ya Allah...

Romeesa-chan...<3

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 01:12:35 am »
I still haven't read your article but I'm going to post some magic words which ALWAYS worked for me. Sub7ana Allah during the MOST difficult times in my life, during the tears, the pain, the hate and the regret... taking Allah's path was only the healing..the only cure. I tried everything and I mean EVERYTHING and my depression would just increase. Sub7ana Allah only when I became close to God I started seeing the light.

^ The above is from an experience and it's not just a rumor spread or lies said. Remembering how lost I was bring tears to my eyes because it took me long to realize that all I had to do was to follow Islam and understand it. I was blind...completely blind...

Alhamdolilah alhamdolilah alhamdolilah a million times for leading me and making me stand on my on feet again when I was just living in the darkness..when I was alive but not living..when life seemed only a burden and a curse. Alhamdolilah..alhamdolilah..alhamdolilah.

EXATCLY, How i feel..!

I used to be depressed and all but now in a way I am thankful that it all happened to me or else I wouldnt be closer to Allah and Islam and realize what I have realized after that  =)

Thanks for sharing the dua

Offline Shoshou..Mony

• Retired Admin~!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • I WILL make a change inshAllah. =]
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 01:17:09 am »
I used to be depressed and all but now in a way I am thankful that it all happened to me or else I wouldnt be closer to Allah and Islam and realize what I have realized after that  =)

It was a redirection. It was the starting point to my NEW life. I was dead, wallah. Now? Now..I have everything I want and ever wanted, even during hardships because following Islam..I learn to be patient and by that way I always get to solve the problem easily by being calm.

Alhamdolilah, I have a purpose in this life. I thank Allah daily for blessing me with Islam. =] We all should!

Sometimes, ALLAH breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes, ALLAH allows pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes, ALLAH sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes, ALLAH takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything HE gave us.

When Allah leads you to the edge of difficulty... either ALLAH will catch you when you fall or ALLAH will teach you how to fly! =]

Please make them strong ya Allah...

Romeesa-chan...<3

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 01:19:07 am »
Mony, I know EXACTLY what yuh mean.
I am glad for the bad that happened because I learned from my own mistakes. Allah (SWT) guided me from my darkness and showed me the light by His Mercy. Nothing greater than knowing that we are blessed and guided by the All-Mighty.
My life is devoted for Him alone. :D

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 01:22:48 am »
Agreed with both of you :D

Now when my friends are depressed or anything I always tell them to get closer to Allah (and islam) cause He is only one who can guide us.

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 01:34:22 am »
^OMG. I do the same thing! ;D