Author Topic: Edxcel Physics Unit 1 help?????  (Read 1147 times)

Offline mustafa09

Edxcel Physics Unit 1 help?????
« on: May 23, 2011, 04:18:35 pm »
what is the difference between acceleration and deceleration and does deceleration mean negative acceleration (accelerating in opposite direction ) or the body is slowing down??? and i need some notes

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
Re: Edxcel Physics Unit 1 help?????
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:52:05 pm »
what is the difference between acceleration and deceleration and does deceleration mean negative acceleration (accelerating in opposite direction ) or the body is slowing down??? and i need some notes

Deceleration is when the rate is decreasing (slowing down) and its represented with a negative sign

And for notes check out this section you'll find loads of notes there :)
https://studentforums.biz/revison-notes/
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline mustafa09

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 04:55:55 pm »
if an object accelerates in oposite direction is this deceleration or negative acceleration

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 05:00:02 pm »
if an object accelerates in oposite direction is this deceleration or negative acceleration
What do you mean by opposite direction? If ,for example, a car changes direction that doesnt change its acceleration because the car will still be accelerating but only direction has changed
But if its is slowing down in whatever direction then its decelerating
And i haven't heard anything like negative acceleration? :S
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Offline mustafa09

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 05:03:20 pm »
acceleration is a vector so it can be negative or positve depending on direction like velocity
if you think about a velocity-time graph if the object changed direction the velocity become negative

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 05:10:05 pm »
acceleration is a vector so it can be negative or positve depending on direction like velocity
if you think about a velocity-time graph if the object changed direction the velocity become negative

That's because velocity is direction dependent but acceleration is rate of velocity so acceleration is negative if velocity is decreasing and positive if it increases.

This might help you understand:
Acceleration is the change in an objects velocity. Acceleration is negative when the speed of an object is increasing in the opposite direction. So, if an object is starting to move west, increasing by 5m/s each second, it's acceleration could be written 5m/s2 west or -5m/s2 east. Furthermore, as previously stated, Acceleration is the change in velocity. This is to say that a decrease in velocity would also be acceleration (the word "deceleration" does not exist in physics as it does in English). So, if the object is slowing down, it will have a negative acceleration in the direction it is moving.

Offline mustafa09

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 05:52:28 pm »
so if an object is slowing down in a stated direction it is negative acceleration, but if it slowed down in opposite direction would that make positive acceleration because negative and negative make positive if it was negative and travels in opposite direction so that make negative and negative which makes positive acceleration