Author Topic: A-Level optatives  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Takeover

A-Level optatives
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:17:24 pm »
I am doing 12 GCSEs and expecting only A*s and As.

I do not know with much certainty what I want to study at university, although I am duelling between a science-based career or one of the business/economic type. Or both.

However, I have limited time and facilities, so I would like to know your opinions on which A-level I should add.

I am going to do
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Mathematics
- Biology
- Spanish (For which I don't have to study for)

Then I am reluctant on whether to choose Business Studies, English, or the Further Maths AS.
I will be thankful for any opinions which do talk too much about lack of time or heavy workload, although your advice will be appreciated.  ;D

elemis

Re: A-Level optatives
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:49:05 pm »
You realise that A Levels are not like GCSEs ?

The syllabus is vast and unless your some whiz-kid I'm sorry to say that you wont be able to do six A Levels properly.

Are you doing CIE or Edexcel A levels ?

Further maths as a subject holds a lot of weight and demands a different thinking. I do furthr maths so I know.

Business studies is useless and Unis dont consider to be a proper subject. Economics would be a better choice.

All in all, you're looking at a masive work load.

Offline Deadly_king

• <<Th3 BO$$>>
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
  • Hard work ALWAYS pays off.........just be patient!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:10:34 am »
When you said A-level, you meant complete A2 or only the AS section?

I would advice only a maximum of 4 A2 subjects and 2 AS.

But if you're very confident about Spanish, then I guess it's alright.

If you decide to opt for the full science subjects, then English might be the best option as it would give you time to concentrate on the other subjects. However it is not to be neglected either. ;)

Like Ari highlighted, A-level is not so easy. It requires much concentration and time. Nevertheless it is achievable. So I wish you good luck. :)

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:48:14 am »
I am doing 12 GCSEs and expecting only A*s and As.

I do not know with much certainty what I want to study at university, although I am duelling between a science-based career or one of the business/economic type. Or both.

You must be certain of what you want to study at university if you are to choose your A level subjects. Because universities prefer you to have some background knowledge of the subject that you are going to study (from A level).

If you want to study science, you should be taking Physics and Biology. Do consider properly if chemistry is really needed for you. Because, say, if you want to be a biotechnology related doctor/technician, chemistry is important. But for an engineer, chemistry may not be so important. Same goes for biology - choose it only if you want to be a doctor/related profession. Physics is necessary for Engineering.

Mathematics is always a plus. Further maths will be needed if you want to be an engineer, otherwise not necessary. But do try to keep a mathematics subject. And be aware that further maths is quite a difficult subject. But you can do fine if you try hard.

For a career related to Business and finance, you should take Business studies, economics. Subjects like applied ICT or computing will give you an IT edge as well. But be aware that Business studies is not as easy as it seems - the case studies are very challenging esp. on A2. Economics is very easy at AS, but quite difficult at A2. I know because I've done them all.

You can take accounting too.

You should take maths, especially if you want to study the finance stream. Further maths is a plus as well, but not an absolute requirement.

Spanish (For which I don't have to study for)

Don;t think that you "will not have to study". My native language is Bangla. But I still had to study quite a lot for my Bengali O level exam because I was unaware of the different grammar constructs.

Business studies is useless and Unis dont consider to be a proper subject.Economics would be a better choice.

With all due respect, it is a very good choice for anyone who wishes to pursue a career in the field of business. But like all other subjects, it is not so necessary/useless if you wish to pursue a career in some other field.

Offline Takeover

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:40:48 pm »
Thank you all very much.

Yeees, I know the workload I am going to face and if it is going to help me enter a better university I am obviously willing to take it.

I'm not worrying about Spanish, as I live in Spain and the A-Level is rather compulsory because absolutely everyone gets an A with hardly any study.

I think I will neglect Further Maths and decide between the other too, as I do not really like mathematics. The thing is that if you wish to pursue a business-related career, you don't actually have to take the BS A-Level. Sciences will probably do fine then, according to my teachers.

You realise that A Levels are not like GCSEs ?

The syllabus is vast and unless your some whiz-kid I'm sorry to say that you wont be able to do six A Levels properly.

Are you doing CIE or Edexcel A levels ?

Well, in my school many people have taken 6 A-Levels and they've done or are doing just fine, and say that if you work hard it is perfectly achievable.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 05:42:31 pm by Takeover »

elemis

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 06:16:32 pm »
Thank you all very much.

Yeees, I know the workload I am going to face and if it is going to help me enter a better university I am obviously willing to take it.

I'm not worrying about Spanish, as I live in Spain and the A-Level is rather compulsory because absolutely everyone gets an A with hardly any study.

I think I will neglect Further Maths and decide between the other too, as I do not really like mathematics. The thing is that if you wish to pursue a business-related career, you don't actually have to take the BS A-Level. Sciences will probably do fine then, according to my teachers.

Well, in my school many people have taken 6 A-Levels and they've done or are doing just fine, and say that if you work hard it is perfectly achievable.

You didnt answer my question. Are you doing CIE, OCR or Edexcel A Levels ?

Where do you plan to continue your higher education ?

Six A Levels. You plan to do all of them in two years ?

Offline Takeover

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 11:38:12 pm »
You didnt answer my question. Are you doing CIE, OCR or Edexcel A Levels ?

Where do you plan to continue your higher education ?

Six A Levels. You plan to do all of them in two years ?

All my subjects are Edexcel except for Maths, which is CIE.

I am planning to continue my education in an American university.

Yes, I plan to do all of them in two years, as it has been done many times before.

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 04:47:51 am »
Thank you all very much.

Yes, nice determination!

Hmm.... Fantastic!

Yes. Any person coming from the science stream should do fine in Business, especially if he/she is good at maths. But I would still advice you to check your target universities' websites to see if they have certain subject requirements for A level. (just to be sure)

Are you sure they have completed six A2 subjects ? As far as I know, completing six A levels is quite difficult. It could be that they have completed 4 A2 and the other 2, AS.  You may wish to cross-check it.

Anyway, like all other things in life, completing 6 A levels is possible if the person is very determined.

Offline Nexus

• SF Immigrant
  • There is no substitute for Truth
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 01:19:04 pm »
I think u shld really think abt this twice!!!
cause 6 AL subs is really dificult!!!
and lik u i'm also currntly doin my 5 A2 subjects and find it very challenging!!! and my 6th subject i'm doin in nxt jan!!!
I also did 12 Subs fr my O Levels(IGCSE) and I must say O Levels is absolutely nothin compared to A Levels!!! being getting
11A* and A at O levels!!!
Frthermore u shld really  think abt the profession ur planning to do because doin Chemistry,Physics,Maths and Biology shows tht u want to becom a doctor or other medical related profession!!! but if u r plannin to do Engineering or maths related course @ da college do furthermaths plus doin Spanish fr A Levels doesn't add much points at college unless ur planning to do languages at the college!!!
One more thing, A Levels is completely difficult course so don't even compare it to O Levels and wit da introduction of A* to A Levels ,it's very difficult cause u need to get an average of 90% at A2.
the current percentage of students getting A* is very low(students doin 4 subs) so the number of subjects u do doesnt matter but the number of A* u get matters alot....so my adivice is unless ur absolutely sure to get A* frm a subject don't do it.
I say so because doin 6 subs cld affect ur main subs lik Maths , physics and chem so if ur sure and confident...best of luck and do it!!! and also keep in mind u have roughly 36 units to complete @ A Level
18 @ AS
18@ A2
so think about it thn have a plan and if u think u can ... GO FOR IT:)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:22:07 pm by Nexus »
_____Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction_____

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:34:55 am »
what A level grades did u get nexus?
Its jst for my concern bcoz i hav gven my A2 xamz this jan... :)

Offline Nexus

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 12:12:33 pm »
Did my AS Exm last year and got 5As and Did my A2 exam (all maths units  and one Further maths unit) in this Jan...hoping fr good resultz in March!!! hoping to do my other 3 subs in Jun and 1 other subject in Jan!!!
Good luck fr ur exmzz~~~
_____Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction_____

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 12:09:50 pm »
MASHAALLAH gud grades...gud luck den!! :)
so wich unis r u planning to apply to?
even i m waiting for my resultz...INSHAALLAH v wil get gud grades  :)

Offline Nexus

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »
Thankz Brother!! :D
U too... :)
well hoping to apply fr UK and US univrsities!

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 11:06:53 am »
so gud luck wid dat! lolz nd i m a grl...yea i noe u wer mistaken bcoz my name duznt suggest whether i m a grl or boy ;)

Offline Nexus

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 01:13:27 pm »
lol!!!
anywayz thankz and Good luck !
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:20:13 pm by Nexus »