Author Topic: Subject options  (Read 1402 times)

Offline lastgift

• SF Citizen
Subject options
« on: January 22, 2011, 11:36:10 am »
Hiii guys :)
Its during the university hunt, I realised that lack of traditional subjects..
My IGCSE's were:
Accounts, Economics, Business Studies, History , Hindi, English, IT, Maths (A*s in all but A in IT)
A levels:
Economics Accounts English language and Maths
(Expecting A's and A*s)

However, academically, I need a stronger portfolio to apply confidently to top universities. How do I strengthen my application if I am applying for Economics and Management?

Frankly I am not a math geek...so CIE further maths will throttle me to death! Is EDEXCEL Further maths going to help? Or any other traditional subject?

elemis

Re: Subject options
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:32:27 pm »
Further Math is Further Math. No difference whether its OCR, EDEXCEL, CIE or AQA.

If you have no interest/love for math dont do Further Math.

I take Further Math and it demands a different style of thinking.

Offline lastgift

• SF Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 02:18:23 pm »
So I thought too but this post has a new story to tell : https://studentforums.biz/queries-81/cie-maths-and-edexcel-further-maths/

elemis

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:31:14 pm »
So I thought too but this post has a new story to tell : https://studentforums.biz/queries-81/cie-maths-and-edexcel-further-maths/

It makes no difference. Both CIE and Edexcel teach pretty much the same things in Further Math. Its just that in Edexcel the syllabus is split into three modules. CIE has only two instead, I think.

Do Edexcel FM if you're unsure.

Offline lastgift

• SF Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 03:28:18 pm »

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 05:01:34 am »
Hiii guys :)
Its during the university hunt, I realised that lack of traditional subjects..
My IGCSE's were:
Accounts, Economics, Business Studies, History , Hindi, English, IT, Maths (A*s in all but A in IT)
A levels:
Economics Accounts English language and Maths
(Expecting A's and A*s)

However, academically, I need a stronger portfolio to apply confidently to top universities. How do I strengthen my application if I am applying for Economics and Management?

Frankly I am not a math geek...so CIE further maths will throttle me to death! Is EDEXCEL Further maths going to help? Or any other traditional subject?

Take mathematics and not further maths if you are not confident in your ability to cope with it.

You can write a strong personal statement. Go to thestudentroom and check their PS library and advice.

Offline lastgift

• SF Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 08:38:01 am »
I do have maths.
Have checked the library too :)
Thanks anyways!

Was wondering if anyone could suggest any other recommended traditional subject?

Offline Nexus

• SF Immigrant
  • There is no substitute for Truth
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 01:09:43 pm »
well as ur 5th subject,u cld do Business Studies... itz da easiest to get an A*.it has only 4 units fr both AS and A2!!
i did business studies and did all  unitz in just 8 months!!! and Further maths is da hardest subject i would say cause i'm doin tht too... if u do Business Studies u can say withought a problem tht ur a commerce student applyin fr Economics and management!
but with ur current stream of subjects,we cannt realy recognize u as a Commerce student as u lack the fundamental subject-Business studies!!!((Really,,ur da first student tht i hv met doin English fr A-LEVELS :)))
frthermore u hv already done Econ fr A LEVELS and BS fr IGCSE ,so Business Studies fr A LEVELS shld be simple fr u...as Econ is similar in sum aspects to BS!!

Also do SATS 1 and 2 cause tht increases ur chance to get into a recognized university!!!

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:22:23 pm by Nexus »
_____Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction_____