Author Topic: Things that are good/bad with the Student Forum  (Read 990 times)

Offline sabbath_92

• SF Citizen
    • Formspring
Things that are good/bad with the Student Forum
« on: October 02, 2010, 12:27:11 pm »
These is how I review this forum after spending some time here.

Things that are good.

1. Academic users. As can be expected from a student forum, the members are all intelligent and intellectual and seldom not. I have been pleasantly surprised by the new knowledge I have gained from discussion with some of the users.

2. Helpful members, dedicated to assisting other users. Especially the section on Maths and Physics.

These are what makes the forum worth coming back to over and over again.

Things that are bad.

1. The user interface. With all due respect, the interface would be appealing if this was 2006. As of now compared to similar forums it's dull and boring. If given the opportunity I could use my knowledge to suggest how it could be improved. As it is right now, I don't see why it would appeal to a potential new member over another similar site. And with the fact that this has a GCE past paper website attached to it, it's surprising why it isn't nowhere as popular as it should be. This is what mainly bothered me, as this site has tremendous potential.

3. The descriptions of each of the sub forums is dated.

This is mainly aimed at people who run the website to ponder on, and any thoughts or scorn from other members are welcome but unnecessary.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:30:21 pm by sabbath_92 »

elemis

Re: Things that are good/bad with the Student Forum
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 12:35:59 pm »
If given the opportunity I could use my knowledge to suggest how it could be improved.

I'm interested. Show me what you've got.

Offline DrEvil

• The Gifted One!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Love all, trust a few!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 12:42:12 pm »
First of all I would like to thank you for your panegyric words about the site.

Secondly, about the bad things you mentioned, things aren't so simple as they seem to be. We had plans to upgrade the forum this summer but due to some problems, we couldn't. But hopefully, we will upgrade the forum very soon. Just be patient. 

And we would welcome suggestions from your side if that helps to improve the quality of the forum.

“When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.”

Offline Deadly_king

• <<Th3 BO$$>>
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
  • Hard work ALWAYS pays off.........just be patient!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 09:14:42 am »
He has a point there. The forum could indeed be made more attractive.

But we got to admit that the help this forum offers to students across the globe is enough as motivation to encourage them to get back here. Moreover anyone has the opportunity to provide his share of task by helping others since I believe this is an open forum.

Upgrading it might be a good idea. But like DrEvil said, we need to analyse the whole situation and opt for the best available solutions with the help from all members, if possible.

Remember : Patience bear sweet fruits   ;)

nid404

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 07:06:19 pm »
Thank you, indeed. We appreciate it.

The forum will have a new look in some time. The programmer is working on it. For the time being, though, we have a lot of themes you can choose from. Are you aware of that?

We probably might not upgrade while the exams are happening. During summer, when FEP was getting a new look, the site was down for quite sometime and hence we couldn't provide students with the papers they needed and if the same happens to SF, it would be a disaster. So, patience.(i know it's repetitive =p)

We're always open to new ideas. Do let us know if you have anything to share.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 07:27:55 am by Garfield »