Author Topic: ALL CIE CHEMISTRY DOUBTS HERE !!  (Read 110355 times)

Offline Greed444

Re: ALL CIE CHEMISTRY DOUBTS HERE !!
« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2010, 03:49:35 pm »
i have a doubt on May/June 2007 paper 4
Question 1(b). need help and explanation to get the answer please

Offline Deadly_king

• <<Th3 BO$$>>
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
  • Hard work ALWAYS pays off.........just be patient!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2010, 06:05:24 am »
i have a doubt on May/June 2007 paper 4
Question 1(b). need help and explanation to get the answer please

Conditions                                   Product at anode                          Product at cathode

ZnCl2(l)                                        Cholrine                                      Zinc

ZnCl2(concentrated aqueous)            Chlorine                                    Hydrogen

ZnCl2(diltue aqueous)                       Oxygen                                    Hydrogen

NOTE : Positive ions get discharged at the cathode while negative ones are discharged at the anode.

i) Zinc Chloride in liquid form is composed of Zn2+ and Cl- ions which are discharged at the electrodes forming the respective compounds.

ii) Concentrated aqueous Zinc Chloride contains the following ions : Zn2+, Cl-, H+ and OH-.
For cations, you should compare them from the reactivity series. The lower the cation is in the reactivity series the earlier it will be discharged in preference to the most reactive cation.
This is why hydrogen gets preferentially discharged at the expense of Zn2+

For anions, it's about the same thing but you should note that the second part is concentrated aqueous, which means that Cl- is abundant while OH- is present in very small amount.

Hence oxygen will be formed in both cases but it in so minimal amount that you won't even notice and Cl- will immediately be discharged after that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:34:18 am by Deadly_king »

Offline moon

• SF Citizen
« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2010, 08:50:13 pm »
plz help me in solving this question. thanx in advance.

Compounds containing manganese oxo-anions often disproportionate in aqueous solution.

(i) Use the following half-equation, and other data from the Data Booklet, to construct an
overall equation for the disproportionation of MnO42- in strongly acidic solution.
Calculate the E o cell for the process.
MnO42- + 8H+ + 4e <=> ? Mn2+ + 4H2O Eo = +1.74 V

(ii) When potassium manganate(VII) is reduced with aqueous sodium sulphite, the bright
blue salt K3MnO4 is produced. The salt readily disproportionates in acidic solution, giving
a brown precipitate of MnO2(s) and a purple solution.

Calculate the oxidation number of manganese in the blue salt, and construct a balanced
ionic equation for its disproportionation.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 05:20:37 am by Deadly_king »

Offline moon

• SF Citizen
« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2010, 11:45:16 pm »
can u help me in another Question plz.

June 08 Q2 a (ii) explain and draw the diagram. thank u very much for ur help.

Offline Deadly_king

• &lt;&lt;Th3 BO$$&gt;&gt;
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2010, 05:36:15 am »
plz help me in solving this question. thanx in advance.

Compounds containing manganese oxo-anions often disproportionate in aqueous solution.

(i) Use the following half-equation, and other data from the Data Booklet, to construct an
overall equation for the disproportionation of MnO42- in strongly acidic solution.
Calculate the E o cell for the process.
MnO42- + 8H+ + 4e <=> ? Mn2+ + 4H2O Eo = +1.74 V

(ii) When potassium manganate(VII) is reduced with aqueous sodium sulphite, the bright
blue salt K3MnO4 is produced. The salt readily disproportionates in acidic solution, giving
a brown precipitate of MnO2(s) and a purple solution.

Calculate the oxidation number of manganese in the blue salt, and construct a balanced
ionic equation for its disproportionation.

i)Acidic conditions:

3MnO42- + 4H+ –> MnO2 + 2MnO4- + 2H2O

This disproportionation can be though of as two half equations:
1. MnO42- + 4H+ + 2e –> MnO2 + 2H2O ……….. Eº = +2.26V ( the Manganate ion is reduced)
2. MnO42- –> MnO4- + 1e ……………………….Eº = +0.56V ( the Manganate ion is oxidised)

Calculating Eº = E(reduced state) – E(oxidised state) = +2.26V – +0.56V = + 1.70V
This is a large positive value (remember that any Eº value greater than 0.3v means that the reaction is spontaneous as shown) so the forward reaction proceeds.

Here is the reference.

ii) The blue salt is K3MnO4
Let the oxidation number of Mn in the salt be x.
Oxidation number of O is -2 while that of K is +1. Overall charge is zero since it is an uncharged salt.

Hence 3(+1) + x + 4(-2) = 0 ----> x = +5

2MnO43- + 4H+ ---> MnO2 + 2H2O + MnO42-
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 05:38:51 am by Deadly_king »

Offline Deadly_king

• Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2010, 06:28:44 am »
can u help me in another Question plz.

June 08 Q2 a (ii) explain and draw the diagram. thank u very much for ur help.

::O=:Cl.=O::

Valence electrons = 19

Chlorine attaches to the oxygens through double bonds, and and each oxygen has two lone pairs to complete its octet. The chlorine also one lone pair and one electron. Chlorine in this structure obviously does not obey octet rule but in chlorine there is 3d subshell in which electrons are promoted and hence chlorine can also have 3,5 and 7 bonds.

Since chlorine has one lone pair, the ClO2 molecule will be a bent(v-shaped) one but not the same angle as H2O since it has only one lone pair.

For more details click here.

Offline moon

• SF Citizen
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2010, 11:53:08 am »
::O=:Cl.=O::

Valence electrons = 19

Chlorine in this structure obviously does not obey octet rule but in chlorine there is 3d subshell in which electrons are promoted and hence chlorine can also have 3,5 and 7 bonds.

How can we know the number of valence electrons?????and how can we know that chlorine is not obeying octet rule???
how do we determine the number of bonds formed by the chlorine in this case????

For the question above
how to construct a balanced ionic equation for its disproportionation.
  Thanx in advance

Offline $H00t!N& $t@r

• SF Geek
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2010, 12:02:24 pm »
can someone please help me with this:

Q) A flask containing a mixture of 0.200 mol of ethanoic acid and 0.11 mol of ethanol was maintained at 25 degrees Celsius until the following equilibrium had been established.
CH3C00H + C2H5OH <-> CH3COOC2H5 + H2O

The ethanoic present at equilibrium required 72.5 cm3 of a 1.50 mol dm-3 solution of sodium hydroxide for a complete reaction.
- Calculate the value of the equilibrium constant Kc for this reaction at 25 degrees Celsius
- The enthalpy change for this reaction is quite small. By reference to the number and type of bonds broken and made, explain how this might have been predicted.

Thanks in advance  :)
and sorry i dont have the answer to this question because i found it on a website  :-\
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:15:50 pm by $H00t!N& $t@r »
"If A equals success, then the formula is:
A=X+Y+Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut"- Albert Einstein

Offline Deadly_king

• Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2010, 12:33:54 pm »
How can we know the number of valence electrons?????and how can we know that chlorine is not obeying octet rule???
how do we determine the number of bonds formed by the chlorine in this case????

For the question above
how to construct a balanced ionic equation for its disproportionation.
  Thanx in advance

Valence electrons is the total number of electrons from the outermost shells of the atoms forming the molecule.

Number of electrons in the outermost shell of O : 6
Number of electrons in the outermost shell of Cl : 7

Hence valence electrons : 2(6) + 7 = 19

Hmm............in this case ClO2 is a neutral molecule which means that oxygen has a stable electronic configuration. Otherwise there would have been a negative charge.

For oxygen to have a stable electronic configuration, it should form two covalent bonds or gain two electrons. Cl is a non-metal which does not give electrons. The only plausible solution is that it formed two bonds with each O atom.

Hence structure of ClO2 => ::O=:Cl.=O::

Moreover in the question itself, it is stated that the bonds between Cl and O is double bond. ;)

I need to go now. I'll complete the answer asap :)

Offline moon

• SF Citizen
« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2010, 12:54:14 pm »
Thank you very very much for ur help :)

Offline Hypernova

« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2010, 01:30:47 pm »
Lets first find the number of moles of CH3C00H at equilibrium. It reacts with NaOH in 1:1 ration.

number of moles=concentration*volume
               =1.5 * (72.5/1000)
               =0.10875 moles of CH3C00H at equilibrium

When 1 mole of CH3C00H reacts with 1 mole of C2H5OH 1 mole of CH3COOC2H5 and H2O is produced.
So if 0.09125 moles of CH3C00H reacts, then 0.09125 of CH3COOC2H5 and H2O is formed.

CH3C00H      +     C2H5OH <->     CH3COOC2H5 +      H2O

Before equilibrium      0.2                0.11                     0              0
At equilibrium         0.10875           0.01875            0.09125        0.09125

KC= 0.09125 * 0.09125
             0.10875 * 0.01875

=4.08

Note: the concentration should be used to find Kc, but since they all in the same container, the volumes is the same and will cancel out in this case, so i didn't need to put in volumes.

For the second part, you need to find enthalpy change of reaction. enthalpy change = bonds broken - bonds made
but thats long.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:18:19 am by Hypernova »
Ya Allah! Make useful for me what You taught me and teach me knowledge that will be useful to me.

Offline $H00t!N& $t@r

• SF Geek
« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2010, 01:44:52 pm »
Thanks alot for the detailed answer!
+rep  :)
"If A equals success, then the formula is:
A=X+Y+Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut"- Albert Einstein

Offline Greed444

« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2010, 02:39:32 pm »

Conditions                                   Product at anode                          Product at cathode

ZnCl2(l)                                        Cholrine                                      Zinc

ZnCl2(concentrated aqueous)            Chlorine                                    Hydrogen

ZnCl2(diltue aqueous)                       Oxygen                                    Hydrogen

NOTE : Positive ions get discharged at the cathode while negative ones are discharged at the anode.

i) Zinc Chloride in liquid form is composed of Zn2+ and Cl- ions which are discharged at the electrodes forming the respective compounds.

ii) Concentrated aqueous Zinc Chloride contains the following ions : Zn2+, Cl-, H+ and OH-.
For cations, you should compare them from the reactivity series. The lower the cation is in the reactivity series the earlier it will be discharged in preference to the most reactive cation.
This is why hydrogen gets preferentially discharged at the expense of Zn2+

For anions, it's about the same thing but you should note that the second part is concentrated aqueous, which means that Cl- is abundant while OH- is present in very small amount.

Hence oxygen will be formed in both cases but it in so minimal amount that you won't even notice and Cl- will immediately be discharged after that.

Thanks Bro! i Completely understand now :)

Offline Greed444

« Reply #178 on: November 06, 2010, 02:46:00 pm »
does anyone know why some books say
1) E(std)cell = E(+ve terminal) - E(-ve terminal)
2) E(std)cell = E(right hand terminal) - E(left hand terminal)

in my class, we used the first one. but when i attempt June 2008 paper4 Q1, they used the 2nd one to get the answer. im confused :S

Offline moon

• SF Citizen
« Reply #179 on: November 06, 2010, 03:06:49 pm »
does anyone know why some books say
1) E(std)cell = E(+ve terminal) - E(-ve terminal)
2) E(std)cell = E(right hand terminal) - E(left hand terminal)

in my class, we used the first one. but when i attempt June 2008 paper4 Q1, they used the 2nd one to get the answer. im confused :S

Yes I am confused too . I would really appreciate any help Thanks in advance