Author Topic: Question about Site Rule  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
Question about Site Rule
« on: September 07, 2010, 01:47:34 am »
I want some clarification of the Site Rule:
Quote from: MaNa
No More discussing about Religions anywhere in this Forum!

I have seen discussions pop up on the forums concerning religion, though not of a negative nature. I did participate in them, and then the moderator(s) tended to delete the thread and that was quite about it.

I'm not the one to be a backseat moderator, but the fact that not once was I informed in PM or otherwise that such threads will get me in trouble or something, and that these discussions continue to spring up is a bit confusing.

Is it allowed to discuss religion or not? If yes, then to which extent? If not, then why are people who make these discussions, and participants, not warned/penalized in any way? I realize I could be indirectly asking for a punishment :P But it'd help so I know what to do and what not to do for future reference.

Thank you in advance.
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

Freaked12

Re: Question about Site Rule
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 01:54:09 am »
Nobody Debates about Religion.

Except me.

So if i have started a thread, Usually it will end up in a bin or utter tosh.

Alpha

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 02:00:08 am »
To be frank, we're ourselves having a discussion about this in the lounge.

How I see it: You can bring in religion as far as it does not offend your interlocutor or anyone else.

That's normally how it is. But what's difficult is to determine how far can a simple comment offend others.

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 02:37:13 am »
To be frank, we're ourselves having a discussion about this in the lounge.

How I see it: You can bring in religion as far as it does not offend your interlocutor or anyone else.

That's normally how it is. But what's difficult is to determine how far can a simple comment offend others.

Well, atm some moderators (I can't say who since I don't know who :P) are going by the principle of removing any religious discussion at all. So I suppose I'd request the administration and management to speed up the decision process. :D Good luck.

Alpha

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:44:29 am »
Well, atm some moderators (I can't say who since I don't know who :P) are going by the principle of removing any religious discussion at all. So I suppose I'd request the administration and management to speed up the decision process. :D Good luck.

You don't want religion to come into the forum at all?

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 02:45:22 am »
I WANT T_T ..Srsly :'(
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

Alpha

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 02:47:46 am »
I WANT T_T ..Srsly :'(

Yeah, sometimes, we just cannot avoid.

Nway, the mods and admins will decide.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 02:49:40 am by ~Alpha »

Freaked12

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 02:51:26 am »
You cannot avoid religion if you want to participate In debates .

Generally in Countries like America or Provinces like Dakota North of America there seems to be no debate about religion at all, however we in Asia particularly in Middle east, birthplace of 3 of the world's largest religions, religion dominates our every day routine so no matter what topic you will be discussing it will always come down to whether it is correct in your religion or not.

Peace
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 02:54:29 am by Requiem »

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 02:54:03 am »
You don't want religion to come into the forum at all?

I didn't say that.  :-\ I said some moderators remove religious discussions in which no one is offending anyone at all. I mean, a member posted asking if drawing human or animal figures was allowed in Islam, and all that happened was that I posted a couple of references to guide him/her. And apparently, the moderators removed that too.

In fact, religious discussions are a great way to bond sometimes because religion plays an important--or at least a background--role in most people's lives. Also, seeing we belong to the Asian/African part of the world mostly, most of us are not atheist or nonpracticing. :P

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 02:54:49 am »
You cannot avoid religion if you want to participate In debates .

Generally in Countries like America or Provinces like Dakota North of America there seems to be no debate about religion at all, however we in Asia particularly in Middle east, birthplace of 3 of the world largest religions, religion dominates our every day routine so no matter what topic you will be discussing it will always come down to whether it is correct in your religion or not.

Peace

Very correct.

Alpha

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 02:56:18 am »
I didn't say that.  :-\ I said some moderators remove religious discussions in which no one is offending anyone at all. I mean, a member posted asking if drawing human or animal figures was allowed in Islam, and all that happened was that I posted a couple of references to guide him/her. And apparently, the moderators removed that too.

In fact, religious discussions are a great way to bond sometimes because religion plays an important--or at least a background--role in most people's lives. Also, seeing we belong to the Asian/African part of the world mostly, most of us are not atheist or nonpracticing. :P

Oh okay... Now I see where you want to reach.

Thank you for bringing that up. :)

nid404

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 12:35:52 pm »
We can't be judgmental. I'm not someone who wishes to discuss religion openly. I'm very much Asian  :P And there are many others who I know don't like to.

And debating with religion is not rational debating. It is not the beliefs that earn you points in a debate, it's the reality and practicality that does.  :)

Now why we don't like allowing religious discussions is because we are primarily an educational forum. Our main aim is to help students academically. Our purpose cannot be hidden under religious discussions.

Religion can be discussed via pms, no restrictions. :) You are FREE to wish people on religious occasions, no problems. We are a multicultural forum and we like to see no divide.

We are still discussing the extent to which discussion should be allowed. For now, no discussions please. We've had problems in the past and I think we need to avoid a repeat. We cannot be decisive in such issues.We expect to take some time to finalize on things. We kindly ask you to cooperate :)

And the thread you are talking about,  we have sent the author of the thread a message and your responses were sent along too :)

nid404

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 12:41:20 pm »
Is it allowed to discuss religion or not? If yes, then to which extent? If not, then why are people who make these discussions, and participants, not warned/penalized in any way? I realize I could be indirectly asking for a punishment :P But it'd help so I know what to do and what not to do for future reference.

Thank you in advance.

The ones who discuss cannot be penalized heavily until they have hurt religious sentiments of others.

If it's just a casual discussion, we send them a pm telling them why their thread had to be moved. This is not considered as a warning. Just a reminder. :)

elemis

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 12:46:18 pm »
In short :

1.) Debating and discussing religion is forbidden
2.) You CAN post threads where you wish each other Eid Mubarak/Merry Christmas etc.
3.) Regarding religious ADVICE - we have yet to decide.

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 01:15:52 pm »
Thank you Garfield and Ari for clarifying things. I hope you reach a conclusion soon on the matter of religious advice. :)