Author Topic: Can Universities check whether I re-sat an examination?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
Can Universities check whether I re-sat an examination?
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:22:26 pm »
The answer to this question is something that CIE did not give me.

I  sent a message to Edexcel after that, and I am yet to get a reply. Lets hope for something soon.

Offline DrEvil

• The Gifted One!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Love all, trust a few!
Re: Can Universities check whether I re-sat an examination?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:34:12 pm »
Answer from Engraved:

Universities can see if a candidate re-sat their examinations. Universities can check everything in a candidate as it is all reported to the UCAS. They can see the actual marks of the first sitting and the last sitting. They can see how many times you re-sat and what marks you got as well. They simply need to go through the effort of finding out.

What they perceive your re-sits to be is another question. But yes, it is true, a university can see whether you re-sat or not.

I got this from an Edexcel official, and since it is a matter of the UCAS, it is true for CIE as well.

“When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.”

Offline sabbath_92

• SF Citizen
    • Formspring
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:00:22 am »
Which university will you be applying to? If you are applying through UCAS, you are REQUIRED to put down any certified grades. However I know someone who didn't put down his AS first sitting grade and got into UCL :p. (BUT I DON"T RECOMMEND IT!)

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:24:08 am »
Which university will you be applying to? If you are applying through UCAS, you are REQUIRED to put down any certified grades. However I know someone who didn't put down his AS first sitting grade and got into UCL :p. (BUT I DON"T RECOMMEND IT!)

Even if he didn't report his AS grades in his first sitting, UCAS is able to obtain that information from the concerned boards. UCAS is like the big-bad who has control over universities and exams related to entry into university. The UCAS application form does not necessitate that you inform them of every qualification you took (in this case, the first results of AS-Level), it does not ask for information about resits. So there; he didn't 'fool' UCAS or UCL. In fact, by not mentioning maybe his 'bitter' grades he increased his chances of a conditional offer and once he met the conditions after a resit, he was accepted. Of course, this is what I've gathered from my knowledge and experience with regards to applications to UK universities.
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

Offline sabbath_92

• SF Citizen
    • Formspring
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 02:34:15 pm »
Even if he didn't report his AS grades in his first sitting, UCAS is able to obtain that information from the concerned boards. UCAS is like the big-bad who has control over universities and exams related to entry into university. The UCAS application form does not necessitate that you inform them of every qualification you took (in this case, the first results of AS-Level), it does not ask for information about resits. So there; he didn't 'fool' UCAS or UCL. In fact, by not mentioning maybe his 'bitter' grades he increased his chances of a conditional offer and once he met the conditions after a resit, he was accepted. Of course, this is what I've gathered from my knowledge and experience with regards to applications to UK universities.

Cool :)