Author Topic: Have newspapers become obsolete?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
Have newspapers become obsolete?
« on: July 04, 2010, 05:12:14 pm »
Newspapers although, once the only reliable source of information, has now become a brunt for their owners to bear.

With the advent of the internet as well as television, newspapers have become obsolete, or that is what people argue. Television, especially 24 Hours news channels now threaten to put these once esteemed organisations out of business.

To be pragmatic about the matter, I for one think, that it is a waste of time, as most people in urban areas have access to the internet, printing newspapers is an expensive alternative in comparison....

However, those especially those who aspire to be journalists, passionately believe that the newspaper must exist, as it has profound sentimental value. However, others differ in that conclusion, arguing that the aspiring journalists are besotted by the fact that the newspaper will be a part of history. With ever-changing technology at a fervent pace, it seems as though that perspective is rather passionate rather than logical.

I mean, a newspaper provides yesterday's news. It is in creation, obsolete in the  21st century.

I would heartily welcome a judicious reply.....

Offline I'm a mistake - legalize abortion!

• SF Farseer
Re: Have newspapers become obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:15:38 pm »
Nope. They won't.

When tv was invented, people thought Radios would become obsolete.. They still aren't..

If you don't like my driving, then stay off the sidewalk

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 05:36:26 pm »
Nope. They won't.

When tv was invented, people thought Radios would become obsolete.. They still aren't..

I have not listened to a radio in ages, but please, would you be so kind as to giving a more constructive conclusion please?

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 03:59:21 pm »
Newspapers are still necessary. Tabloid version was developed to develop the concept of newspapers on a local scope.

Still, many older people prefer newspapers. Not to mention many people in developing countries have no access to the internet. They should not be left out.

Offline ilmarien

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 02:30:42 am »
Well, from what I see and hear, most of the people around me (my family members, my classmates) usually read the newspapers everyday. I can't say more about the matter, but I don't think newspapers are in the threat of being replaced by the online news where I live.