Author Topic: "The Olympics are a waste of money."  (Read 2876 times)

Alpha

Re: "The Olympics are a waste of money."
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 03:08:14 am »
A lot of not-so-well-off people gain pleasure from things like the FIFA world cup - in a sense games like football are their only hope at a new life.

Ronaldhinio was a slum dweller - what is he today ?

What of the billions who do not even get food because of the billions out there wasted on games?

holtadit

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 03:32:25 am »
What of the billions who do not even get food because of the billions out there wasted on games?

FIFA pays for the majority of the setup costs.

South Africa was payed an extra amount of money recently to complete the prep on time.

And dont tell me that amongst their misery those people don't find SOME joy from such tournaments.

Alpha

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 04:10:10 am »
FIFA pays for the majority of the setup costs.

South Africa was payed an extra amount of money recently to complete the prep on time.

And dont tell me that amongst their misery those people don't find SOME joy from such tournaments.

Beijing had to displace 1. 5 million to be able to host the Olympic Games. And this caused no SOME grief.

What about Canada's fiasco?? THREE decades of tax payers' money to repay back the Québec debt? All the time they took to be back to normal? They couldn't even progress so did they have to make up for damages?
The WHOLE population has to pay for what a minority finds as SOME pleasure?

holtadit

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 04:14:15 am »
Beijing had to displace 1. 5 million to be able to host the Olympic Games. And this caused no SOME grief.

What about Canada's fiasco?? THREE decades of tax payers' money to repay back the Québec debt? All the time they took to be back to normal? They couldn't even progress so did they have to make up for damages?
The WHOLE population has to pay for what a minority finds as SOME pleasure?

I never said I support the Olympics.

I am talking about the FIFA world cup.

I personally dislike the Olympics; I agree with your points.

Alpha

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 04:35:08 am »
I never said I support the Olympics.

I am talking about the FIFA world cup.

I personally dislike the Olympics; I agree with your points.

Don't know much about FIFA. Prefer Olympics.  :)

Well... Games are games.