Author Topic: Engineering or Business?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline TwilightBreak

Engineering or Business?
« on: May 20, 2010, 03:47:43 pm »
Heyy...
Hope ur all doing great..andd best luck to those sitting their IG+AS/A exams..
I am currently doing AS Physics+Maths+Chemistry...
my favortie are physics and math..and i was considering studying engineering..not really sure which engineering..but my parents are trying to convince me to study Business.
I did IG Business. and i didnt like it.it wasnt fun. with physics and math,and chemistry (sometimes), i have fun. i really cant. reading and understanding physics...the theories,calculations,and math and chemistry..these things are beautiful to me.
Science is supported by evidence and theories and it's interesting;it gives me a sense of belonging and logic to the world around me. Business..? it changes.its variable. it depnds on the people and it has its unexpected outcomes.
My parents say, its always been hard for a girl to become a successful engineer.they dont doubt my abilities and effort in studying engineering at university..they say that girls who study engineering, they end up working in the office and not visit the job sites and everything.
They keep on trying to make me study Business. and where i live? the country offers no engineering for foreigners.
So any advise? anyone? :-\

Offline contraentry

• SF Citizen
Re: Engineering or Business?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 04:19:48 pm »
All I can say is, It is entirely your decision. You need to form a list of Pros and Cons, for each field and determine where your strengths lie. All said and done, you need to know what is more important to you; Is it waking up every morning and studying something that interests you and probably go on and progress and prosper in a job that is worthy of your interest? Or follow the norm and generalized perception that "females are not good at engineering" and possibly go on to a dead end job where you are entirely not motivated? You say that you feel a sense of belonging in a world of science and you like facts, theories and reasoning. However, the final decision is yours, and you must not regret what choice you make. This is my sincere advice.

Best of luck for your exams as well! :)

Offline macron18

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:38:25 am »
Life is yours and it’s your career. Try to convince your parents that I would do better in engineering as I have no interest in business. If your country don’t offer engineering for foreigners then there is a better option available i.e online education which you can choose. There are various reputed universities which have started online programs in various fields and you can see the huge list here
http://www.thedegreeexperts.com/online-college.aspx to choose the college that you find the best.

nid404

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 05:24:20 pm »
Do what you like :)

Offline falafail

• SF Master
  • ab3'a 7asheesh
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 05:37:04 pm »
YEEEEEEEEEEE ENGINEERING! you're cool, i like you.  ;D
my parents tell me the same thing about the being a girl sh*t, but they want me to be an engineer just not.. an aeronautical engineer haha
but yeah, what's wrong with having an office job? you can do a lot of things.
and you didnt specify what type of engineering you wanna do? you can always do architecture. my mum thinks that's "girly" :P
and ermm.. yeah.. you could do both you know. major in engineering and just take business courses. maybe that'd appease your parents? lol

Offline SGVaibhav

• SF Farseer
  • Bugatti Veyron 16.4
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 03:50:21 pm »
engineering, if ur good at inventing stuff... good at innovations and design and stuff... and if u understand stuff and equations and dont byheart them...
problem solving skills too
these skills r needed for engineering

i dont know the skills for businesss.