Author Topic: Today's technology is good or bad  (Read 2940 times)

holtadit

Re: Today's technology is good or bad
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 07:54:54 am »
I think there is a problem with your scale...  :)

When we consider technology, imagine the progress we have made in medicine. One hundred years ago people DIED because of simple Pneumonia.

With antibiotics we can cure/treat so many new bacterial disease; all thanks to Alexander Fleming.

If technology has the ability (and it does) to save the life of one human being; then it is truly a gift and very much worth it.

Hence, it is not the scale that needs to be aligned. It is your view on the matter that needs to be adjusted.  :)

nid404

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 08:07:56 am »
Ohk, here's my viewpoint.

Technology is a widely used term. It could mean a lot many things, from computers to cars or something as simple as a gas stove, refrigerator, Air conditioner and so on.

I believe machines make our work simple. And as rightly mentioned by Ash, necessity is the mother of all inventions. I stress on the word "necessity"... Today, we want things, we don't really need them.

Now considering computers and internet, etc. Excellent stuff. Much useful and highly appreciated by me. It has its disadvantages. Hackers harm, Stranger stalk and we fiddle while Rome burns. We are ignorant. A lot of things aren't safe. The better side of it, we can interact with people. I like the forum...we have social networking sites. We may go on to make excellent friends. Video conferencing possible, online shopping, banking, etc. possible. Overall, it's a great way to entertain and demystify yourself. Knowledge is abundant here.

Now moving on to engineering marvels. Very innovative and impressive. I love the way people think. Creativity scores points. But we are well known to misuse the power bestowed on us humans.
Cars,robots,satellites,simple machines, very useful to humans, but with some damage done to the environment. The production costs are high +pollution is a social cost (something to be concerned about)

Progress in other fields, like agriculture,medicine, etc. is great. We save a lot of lives. But we sacrifice many to discover something that'll save the rest(which is greater in no so i am not against it) + I have high regards for people who voluntarily experiment on things for the benefit of others. Agriculture has improved, better seeds, new machines, etc has helped farmers a lot. But yet we see farmers committing suicide every other day. Nature plays an important role in determining what is to happen. Although, technology helps, there are other factors involved.

Technology is helpful, but it must be used wisely
That's all for now

Alpha

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 08:11:29 am »
OMG, did the posts become so long...   :)

I'm in no mood to write long... Nor is the clock helping me. ;) Will reply later.

nid404

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 08:13:05 am »
Woaahh! i've written a lot  :o  :P

take your time :)

Alpha

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 08:18:38 am »
LOL, yeah! And strangely though... Everybody is directing their arrows to me...  :)

By the way, love your new sig:

The way to love anything is to realize it might be lost...

The way to care for your Mother Earth is to realize technology might destroy it...  ;)

nid404

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 08:27:08 am »
Thank you  :)

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 09:06:49 am »
LOL, yeah! And strangely though... Everybody is directing their arrows to me...  :)

By the way, love your new sig:

The way to love anything is to realize it might be lost...

The way to care for your Mother Earth is to realize technology might destroy it...  ;)

OK. Go back to the stone age then! :P

nid404

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 09:07:30 am »

What a comeback!  :P :P jk :P

Alpha

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 09:09:19 am »

I'll drag you all with me first.  :P

Thank you  :)

:)

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 09:35:51 am »

I'll drag you all with me first.  :P

Uh, uh, We all prefer technology! Have no desire to go back! ;D :P

Alpha

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 09:39:50 am »
Uh, uh, We all prefer technology! Have no desire to go back! ;D :P

Who's asking?  ::) You don't ask people before you drag them, I think.  :D

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 09:59:12 am »
Who's asking?  ::) You don't ask people before you drag them, I think.  :D

But you've already asked that here now! :D :P

holtadit

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 10:49:29 am »

Off topic but heres something to make you all think.

Human beings do not easily fit the classification of animals. You see most animals attain some sort of equilibrium - harmony - with the natural environment.

Humans simply use up the resources of the area they colonise and then move on to the next place to ravage.

However, this characteristic is idiosyncratic of another organism - viruses. In effect we are the scourge of mother earth.

BEFORE YOU JUMP ON ME - This is a paraphrase from the movie Matrix when that Agent is interrogating Morpheus. I just wanted to include it here and sound cool 8)