Author Topic: <<<Reservation for women>>>  (Read 3969 times)

Offline @d!_†oX!©

• SF Master
<<<Reservation for women>>>
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:31:25 am »
Okay guys, here's a new topic for a classic debate. 
                   "Reservation for women"
If you guys do not have knowledge of what this exactly is then lemme tell you the crux of the story -

Women's reservations Women get 33% reservation in gram panchayat (meaning village assembly, which is a form of local village government) and municipal elections. There is a long-term plan to extend this reservation to parliament and legislative assemblies. In addition, women in India get reservation or preferential treatments in education and jobs. Certain men consider this preferential treatment of women in India as discrimination against them in admissions to schools, colleges, and universities. For instance, several law schools in India have a 30% reservation for females. Progressive political opinion in India is strongly in favor of providing preferential treatment to women in order to create a level playing field for all of its citizens.

The Women's reservation Bill was passed by the Rajya Sabha on 9 March 2010 by a majority vote of 186 members in favor and 1 against.It will now go to the Lok Sabha, and if passed there, would be implemented.

Guys this has been in the news for about a decade in india and now it is being highlighted to an even greater extent.

What are your views about it? Please do give a reason for your viewpoint.

So let's start guys..Bring it on!
AAL IZZ WELL!!! ;)

nid404

Re: <<<Reservation for women>>>
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:42:29 am »
Nice topic...

Yes, to an extent there should be a reservation. Maybe I sound a hypocrite, cause in the earlier debates I said men n women should have equal rights.
So, I do have reasons for this contradiction....and well most developing countries would agree.

Asked by a member of the audience as to what the Indian government was doing to cut population, Kalam said priority was being given to women's education as it has been found that if women were educated it is possible to keep the size of the family small.
He said a few states of India were contributing to the increase in percentage of population and what was needed is women's education.

Research suggests that having more women lawmakers makes a huge difference, not just to women, but to society as a whole especially in poor countries. In Rwanda, for instance, a much-needed law that defines rape and protects victims of sexual abuse was passed only after women legislators became a force to reckon with. Their male counterparts saw the subject as taboo. (Rwanda, incidentally, is the first country in the world where women are in a majority in Parliament).

The fact is more than sixty years after independence women are among the most deprived sections of Indian society. In law, the Indian woman has few equals in the world. The Indian Constitution, unlike many others, gave equal rights to women as to men right from day one. In every respect she is on par with the Indian man. But only on paper!

In reality, the picture could not be more different. On almost every human development indicator, women trail not just their male counterparts but also women in neighbouring countries; countries that are not only poorer but cannot boast of so many women at the helm of affairs: a president, a chief minister and a powerful political leader at the centre.

Take, for instance, maternal mortality rates. Deaths during childbirth in India are way above the S Asia average. In Sri Lanka almost all births take place in institutions; in India this number is below 40%. Again, poorest women in Bangladesh have 72 % the health coverage of the richest; in Pakistan the comparable figure is 63 % but in India the number drops to 55% in urban areas and just 37 % in rural areas.

Various political parties have staunchly opposed it because they fear many of their male leaders would not get a chance to fight elections if 33.3 percent seats are reserved for women. The Bill has also been opposed by politicians from the socially and economically backward classes. They argue that reservation would only help women of the elitist groups to gain seats, therefore causing further discrimination and under-representation to the poor and backward classes. But the backward classes in India already have reservations waiting for them in the best institutes across the country.What more?

Women empowerment is what this country needs....And I shall support it

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 08:24:06 pm »
I agree that there should be reservation for women in jobs (esp. in the public sector) and in other cases.

But I don't agree that there should be reservations in the parliament seats. Here in Bangladesh, we have 15% women in the parliament I think. From what I can see, they perform poorly compared to their male counterparts.

Offline Angel Of Love

• SF Farseer
  • loev <3 :D
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:02:17 am »
@adi nice topic..!!

i totally agree that there should be seats for women everywhere in all fields including parliament.

@stylish haven't you heard about SONIA GANDHI do you really think women are poor at working when it comes to parliament even PRATIBHA PATIL she is our president..!!

nid404

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:03:40 am »
@stylish- gender bias...much?  We have a lot of efficient women in India and their work is potent and appreciated

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:10:57 am »
I'm not advocating that there should be no reservations for women. Just that they shouldn't be for the parliament.

Maybe, maybe, they're efficient in India. But not here. Not to any notable extent.

nid404

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 10:22:14 am »
I'm not advocating that there should be no reservations for women. Just that they shouldn't be for the parliament.

Maybe, maybe, They are definitely efficient in India. But not here. Not to any notable extent.

So, basically, women in Bangladesh may not be getting what they want.....their male counterparts may be interfering with their decisions....Ever thought abt this....some things don't come out in the open....somethings the public doesn't knw....they jst make up their mind

Offline Angel Of Love

• SF Farseer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 10:49:21 am »
i agree nid this problem is everywhere that women are not given their rights or are not allowed to interfere in political decisions we had all this in India too but now we have overcomed all this and i think everyone should overcome this serious issue.

holtadit

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 10:55:58 am »
WOMEN ARE WAY MORE EFFICIENT THEN MEN !!!

nid404

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 10:58:25 am »

You're pickin on borakk agn....U brave fella  :D
Ur this one guy who respects and admires woman...I like that  :)

Offline Angel Of Love

• SF Farseer
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 11:00:06 am »
dat's true..!!

@nid agree to you about ari..!!

Offline @d!_†oX!©

• SF Master
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 11:38:24 am »
i agree nid this problem is everywhere that women are not given their rights or are not allowed to interfere in political decisions we had all this in India too but now we have overcomed all this and i think everyone should overcome this serious issue.
Well yes it is to some extent coming to india...i mean at least for business and everything women are becoming a crucial part but still i hate the fact dt in the govt matters...women are only "reserved" on paper but not in practice...i hope this agreement helps them implement stuff that is already on paper.
AAL IZZ WELL!!! ;)

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 11:39:45 am »
Nid and angel of love: if women are not allowed to take 'decisions' freely without the interference of any male, why should they be given the power to be a member of the parliament BY RESERVATION (yes that means she has no proof of skill of authority and skill to take over the decision concerning the running of a country)?

Its ok if they get to be a member of the parliament by PROVING their skills, but definitely not by something blunt like reservation.

holtadit

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 12:32:15 pm »
This is the way I see it. For the last 3 million years men have ruled society, set its rules and governed over everything.

We men have FAILED DRASTICALLY !! We've messed up the world so badly ! 2 World wars, the nuclear bomb etc.

Why not let women sit in the driving seat ? Maybe they can do better (of course they can !). Except its just male ego that comes in between.

Remember how long it took before women were allowed to vote ?

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 01:09:26 pm »
I have no objection to women sitting in parliaments. But definitely not through something as blunt as 'reservation' of seats for them. If they have the ABILITY to handle stuffs and take decisions, they should sit. But the phrase 'through reservation' implies that they should have their seats 'reserved' in parliaments, whether they have the skills and ability to make decisions or not. Of course, this is not acceptable.