Author Topic: Do you think government should restrict religious clothes?  (Read 11282 times)

nid404

Re: Do you think government should restrict religious clothes?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 12:18:52 pm »
Why is it with events like 9/11 that the government is BLAMED for failing to ACT ? Why do we blame the government when crime rates rise ?

The government did not ask anyone to commit a crime, YET we hold them responsible for failing to ensure social security. WHY YOU MAY ASK?

Because we elected the government to deal with and manage the problems of modern day society. If you believe that we are individually responsible for our own security then dont point fingers at the government when tomorrow a woman wearing a full face veil/niqab blows herself up outside your house.

After all, you were responsible for foreseeing such an event and preparing your security measures. Weren't you ?

To all people who may think that the event I portrayed above is false and full of hysteria I suggest you read about the Black Widows of Russia.

I completely agree with you on that

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 12:30:28 pm »
Why is it with events like 9/11 that the government is BLAMED for failing to ACT ? Why do we blame the government when crime rates rise ?

The government did not ask anyone to commit a crime, YET we hold them responsible for failing to ensure social security. WHY YOU MAY ASK?

Because we elected the government to deal with and manage the problems of modern day society. If you believe that we are individually responsible for our own security then dont point fingers at the government when tomorrow a woman wearing a full face veil/niqab blows herself up outside your house.

After all, you were responsible for foreseeing such an event and preparing your security measures. Weren't you ?

To all people who may think that the event I portrayed above is false and full of hysteria I suggest you read about the Black Widows of Russia.

This doesn't mean the government should interfere in our freedom. A very small percentage of crimes and terrorism acts are committed by women who wear veils. Don't restrict the whole population because of that.

Alpha

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 12:36:17 pm »
Yea, but that does not justify why people should be deprived of their rights. Everybody is free, isn't it. When it comes to voting, you voice out about your 'freedom'. When it comes to social issues, you scream it. Now, what?

The argument you gave holds for rape cases and prostitution as well. Who is blamed for an increase in rape cases? Who must account for child abuse? The government only.

If women were forced by law to cover themselves properly, would there then not be less temptation to rape them? Would then not the women be less willing to prostitute themselves? Would they not have it on their conscience? Would they commit such 'immoral' acts?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:33:34 pm by ~Alpha »

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 01:27:31 pm »
Is prostitution immoral?
Most prostitutes are mothers who can find no other way to feed their children. Their husbands have left them and society rejects them.
SUPPORT THE PROSTITUTES!

nid404

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 01:36:01 pm »
@alpha- Yes, ppl should be dressed modestly to avoid such a situation....but what abt security....I feel ppl should cooperate when it comes to that....If a woman in a veil is asked to show her face for security reasons, she can't deny it...

@astar- Prostitution is not the only way....I don't support prostitution....never ever will...It's more than immoral..yes , they face hardships, but nething other than selling yourself....It sux

holtadit

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 01:37:14 pm »
When we elected our government we knew that they would bring alot of good and bad for us.

The financial crisis is an example of how governments have allowed banks to go unregulated and commit to foolish financial acts.

As a result, when the government bans full face veils and niqabs they are doing it for your own safety.

REMEMBER: the ban of NIQABS/VEILS extends to only very public areas where covering your face may elicit suspicion (airports). It DOES NOT mean that they cannot where these on the roads of France.

The point is FREEDOM,EQUALITY and LIBERTY are nice concepts that work in a utopian world. BUT in todays time when people are willing to violate those maxims certain measures must be taken against them...

Alpha

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 01:41:48 pm »
Is prostitution immoral?
Most prostitutes are mothers who can find no other way to feed their children. Their husbands have left them and society rejects them.
SUPPORT THE PROSTITUTES!

I wrote "immoral" in between single commas.  ;)

Nid, the exception does not form the rule.  ;)

By the way, love your sig.  :)

When we elected our government we knew that they would bring alot of good and bad for us.

The financial crisis is an example of how governments have allowed banks to go unregulated and commit to foolish financial acts.

As a result, when the government bans full face veils and niqabs they are doing it for your own safety.

REMEMBER: the ban of NIQABS/VEILS extends to only very public areas where covering your face may elicit suspicion (airports). It DOES NOT mean that they cannot where these on the roads of France.

The point is FREEDOM,EQUALITY and LIBERTY are nice concepts that work in a utopian world. BUT in todays time when people are willing to violate those maxims certain measures must be taken against them...

What do you call a very public area when people always keep on moving? What's the logic behind allowing them to wear the veil in some 'private' places and ban them in other public places? Remember that people generally attack in restricted areas.

Well, if governments permit themselves to enjoy the liberty to mess up with people's freedom and nations don't speak out loud enough, we can all just expect to be directed by them by bits of yarn and live like marionettes.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:38:45 pm by ~Alpha »

holtadit

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 01:49:45 pm »
I wrote "immoral" in between single commas.  ;)

Nid, the exception does not form the rule.  ;)

What exception? what rule ?

Alpha

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 02:03:57 pm »
What exception? what rule ?

Just a way of saying "majority counts".  ;)

holtadit

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 02:12:13 pm »
What do you call a very public area when people always keep on moving? What's the logic behind allowing them to wear the veil in some 'private' places and ban them in other public places? Remember that people generally attack in restricted areas.

Well, if governments permit themselves to enjoy the liberty to mess up with people's freedom and nations don't speak out loud enough, we can all just expect to be directed by them by bits of yarn and live like marionettes.

You should read the papers. The ban extends to hospitals, post offices and buses. You can walk freely down the street wearing one.

Secondly, so what if France bans the Niqab, we should respect the rules of the nation we reside in. Kissing someone in public is considered haram and against the law in many Muslim countries. Although, this is part and partial of many western traditions (i dont support it) no one is kicking up a racket.

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 02:30:49 pm »
I was not saying prostitution is good. I am trying to think dignity on my fellow soul in the gutter while at the same time not causing them to cost me any money.

Alpha

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 02:49:37 pm »
You should read the papers. The ban extends to hospitals, post offices and buses. You can walk freely down the street wearing one.

Secondly, so what if France bans the Niqab, we should respect the rules of the nation we reside in. Kissing someone in public is considered haram and against the law in many Muslim countries. Although, this is part and partial of many western traditions (i dont support it) no one is kicking up a racket.

Seems like you should read the papers well.  ;)

Alright, it's banned in hospitals, post offices and buses. Does this partial ban help to solve the problems?
These 'criminals' come even to your houses, to shops, to supermarkets, to schools, to public beaches... The ultimate question: What's the use??

Yes, we should respect them. But before implementing any rule, the government should first respect our human rights. And you forget that most Muslim communities are governed by kings and rulers, who are often arbitrary, while other democratic countries have themselves elected their government. That's why here, they dare and are right to kick up a racket.

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2010, 03:40:00 pm »

Oh Mr. Ari, welcome to the debates!

Women who wear Niqabs, who wear veils, who wear any symbol of religion are not necessarily terrorists or evil. A VERY SMALL percentage of those women  are terrorists or have bad intentions. How about a woman wearing normal dress? They can be terrorists . too. Not many people violate rules. Those who do, are just a MINORITY. Most of us are peaceful law abiding citizens. Just like the fact that, a minority of members of this forum smokes or takes drugs.

Suppose, in a strictly Islamic country, 80% of woman wear veils. Only 0.5% of them (who wear veils) are terrorists, we all are sure of that. Now if the government bans veils due to those minority, would it be fair to those decent women who wear it? I don't think so.

And I do agree that when you've got a security procedure to follow, you should, no matter you wear veils or wear nothing at all.

Every financial boom is a signal for a future financial crisis. Remember this. This financial crisis, was just a 'result' of the boom in 2004-6. Even the government wouldn't have the power to stop it, strictly speaking. If the American Fed hadn't kept interest rates lower (Which is claimed to be the main reason for the financial crisis), people wouldn't have been able to double, triple and quadruple their money in the few years before the recession. Recession is an inevitable consequence of any boom. You just have to be cautious and get out at the right time.

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 03:41:21 pm »
Is prostitution immoral?
SUPPORT THE PROSTITUTES!

Prostitution is never justified. The woman can have many ways to earn money. She could work somewhere, or even steal. But deffinitely not prostitution

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 03:50:55 pm »

Couldn't they install security checks? or should I say they are excessively suspicious of people? Or should I say they ban anything they don't like?

REMEMBER: Those who wear Niqab or veils are NORMAL people like women who wear jeans, shirts, shorts etc. It is just a religious custom, like the caps of Jews or the Cross sign of Christians. They are not to be labeled as 'terrorists' and suspected everywhere they go for obvious reasons. Supposing you are following a religion "X", would you like it if you are not allowed to wear a Cap in a country, which is instructed by your religion (and you are a religious person)? I'm sure you would've not. After you have mentally put yourself in this situation, ask yourself: Do you think government should restrict religious clothes?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:56:20 pm by $tyli$h Executive »